1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

West Sixth Alters Logo as Lawsuit with Magic Hat is Settled

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by BorisKarloff, Jun 6, 2013.

1. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Savant (325) Ohio Apr 29, 2013

2. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

so all it took was removing a star, huh?

3. Stupid as hell, IMO.

regularjohn, KVNBGRY, jaxon53 and 7 others like this.
  4. Any irony behind Magic Hat producing #9 in cans about the same time this lawsuit started to become public? Coincidence? I think not...

5. BorisKarloff

Here's the relevant portion of the article, for those interested:

6. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

So much money and time wasted trying to slander each other... and that's it?? Wonder how many customers they've both turned off of their products with this whole mess.

1up, jhartley, ChanChan and 1 other person like this.
  7. BeerBeast

BeerBeast Savant (485) Florida Oct 9, 2012

"that Magic Hat has no Vermont presence" what the heck is that supposed to mean?!

JrGtr likes this.
  8. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Human beings are neat, aren't they?

9. I used to like Roxy Rolles but I haven't had a Magic Hat beer in years and after seeing this shit, Magic Hat beer will never again cross my lips. In fact, I would have a Keystone Light, Bud Light, Coors Light or whatever Light before anything Magic Hat makes. It was frivolous to think that these two logos could be confused by anybody but the bozos at Magic Hat who initiated the lawsuit. So there.

10. BorisKarloff

I took it to mean that West Sixth at one point claimed something similar publicly.

11. Should be "that West Sixth" has no Vermont presence. In fact, according to the Beer Distribution Chart, West Sixth is only distributed in KY.

12. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

I think it's an insinuation that Magic Hat is so big now that they don't even brew it in Vermont.

For what it's worth, I liked the design that they produced that had a clearly drawn compass rose on it. Would have preferred to see that design as the one that stuck.

Roguer and 1up like this.
  13. West Sixth's logo was too similar to Magic Hat's. I suspect whoever they hired to design a logo looked at other brewers' logos and adopted elements of Magic Hat's logo. Obviously infringement never occurred to whoever designed the logo.

West Sixth then made their problems worse by thinking craft drinkers would swell up around them (like the Strange Brewing case) and proceeded to attack Magic Hat. Really dumb.

West Sixth made the right decision to change the logo.

14. That was a lot of Magic Hat's argument why the logo infringed on the #9 logo. That's what had to go.

jamesewelch likes this.
  15. JArena13

JArena13 Savant (380) Pennsylvania Nov 14, 2012

For those like me that need pictures when reading.
    [​IMG]

s_wit, sliverX, jsboots21 and 2 others like this.
  16. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

When did this lawsuit start? I've been seeing #9 in cans since 2009 or so.....

jhartley likes this.
  17. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

I'm not talking about the generic one that was originally part of their logo. I'm talking about one that was mocked up as an alternative design. It was a clearly defined compass rose. Two pieces with a border around the compass portion, which made it clear as day what it was supposed to be. And I always thought that it was honestly irrelevant since the wingding in the #9 logo was not a part of their trademark filing.

18. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Awwwww shit. Better change my avatar before Magic Hat sues my ass.

19. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

you really think they didnt get support? you must not have visited their facebook or twitter or google + or anything associated with Magic Hat

cheers55 and fredmugs like this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

The proof is in the pudding, as gramps used to say.

21. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Savant (345) Vermont May 11, 2012

At one point, W6 implied that Magic Hat was a Costa Rican brewery, so many of the W6 fans started posting comments, reviews, posts on MH's Facebook page calling MH a foreign (non-US) brewery. If you base W6 fans on the ones commenting on MH's Facebook page, many probably still believe that MH's beer is made in some foreign far away land.

Ranbot likes this.
  22. Good for West Sixth for realizing they needed to make those changes.
    Of course, they are the same painless changes Magic Hat requested months ago (no star & logo must have "West Sixth" verbiage attached to the 6 logo), West Sixth agreed to them, then West Sixth changed their minds and started attacking Magic Hat.

23. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

As opposed to, what, InBev? Seems like xenophobia shouldn't have a place in the world of craft beer community.

24. Right. Because they made a big deal about them being a Costa Rican conglomerate.

Ranbot likes this.
  25. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Thank god this happened. My tiny consumer brain can now rest easy with the knowledge I will never confuse these labels again. I've been having recurring nightmares of picking up a west sixth star included can and finding out it was actually magic hat.

26. Ranbot

Ranbot Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Wrong.
    Magic Hat contacted West 6th in September 2012 about the trademark and it was escalated to a lawsuit in May 2013. And you are correct that No. 9 has been in cans for several years already.

The real irony is that West 6th released their amber ale in cans with a similar color scheme to #9 in February 2013 in the midst of the copyright negotiations. Then they wondered why Magic Hat escalated to a lawsuit.

27. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Not only did craft drinkers "swell up around them" but Magic Hat expanded the lawsuit by claiming West Sixth was slandering them based on all the Facebook hate.

28. 2Xmd

2Xmd Advocate (570) New York Apr 19, 2013

Should I open my west sixth ipa or will it be worth something?

regularjohn, Nolen12 and NiceFly like this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

It's not worth anything now from what I've read. Doubt it will go anywhere but down from here.

And yes I knew you were joking, it's possible I am as well.

2Xmd likes this.
  30. There was an initial swell against MH but after more infomation came out, there was a backlash against West Sixth for their tactics on multiple forums that I saw.

31. BeerBeast

Gross. That says a lot more about you than it does Magic Hat. o_O

sjverla likes this.
  32. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Not just Facebook. There were BAs (can you even call them that?) from KY with their nasty comments and xenophobia posting on these forums.

Sometimes, beer brings out the worst in all of us and I'm no exception with the comment I made about KY being 10 years behind in the times.

I do apologize though.

jamesewelch and Nutwood like this.
  33. Ranbot

Ranbot Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

And big bad corporate Magic Hat did even run the poor small brewer out of business...just like they didn't run little Georgetown Brewing out of business before...amazing!

34. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Considering all the talk about "inverted nines" and other bullshit, apparently they didnt care about the font on the numeral at all.

35. rlcoffey

They are Costa Rican in the same way than Budweiser is Belgian and Miller is British and Coors is Canadian.

BoneyardBrewer and jhartley like this.
  36. rlcoffey

The original document spent a lot of time talking about inverted nines.

37. BeerBeast

In other words, they are not Costa Rican at all.

jamesewelch likes this.
  38. rlcoffey

There was still a common law trademark part on that, but I agree. Its weird that that is the change required. I also liked the more clear compass design, I didnt realize it was a compass until this all got started.

39. rlcoffey

In other words, they are Costa Rican.

40. rlcoffey

Apparently MH is okay with the similar color scheme. Unless there is more than just the star removal, but I doubt it.