1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Western Surburbs - IL

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by DBCOACHEMUP, Mar 5, 2012.

1. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

Cigars & Stripes is a trip -- I've only been there once, but need to get back.

Tap House Westmont is my "local." Totally nondescript-looking place that I ignored for the first year or so. Kicked myself mighty hard when I finally went. 36 taps, and they keep getting better all the time. (Used to be half pale ales; has since become much more diversified.) Some nice talent working there, too.

I'm also a fan of Wild Monk, a new gastropub about two miles due north from Main Street on LaGrange Road, just on the southern edge of the downtown.
    1noa likes this.
  2. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (480) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

Make that two for Oswego.

Bav Lodge is definitely a destination spot in the western 'burbs. Further west, the Oswego Taphouse isn't too shabby (hey, it's all we've got,) and the Plainfield Taphouse is even better (R.I.P. Finnegans.)
  3. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Work in Downers Grove ... Meerp
  4. Was disappointed by Finnegans, particularity their food, but was still surprised that they closed down. Always had a good amount of patrons inside. I think it was the high rent that put them at their demise. Was impressed by Tribes on Route 30 and Wolf. Amazing poutines by the way!
  5. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Hinsdale here.

I'm also the manager at Hinsdale Wine Shop, and we've been expanding out beer selection greatly since I've started working there. I keep it pretty updated on Beer Menus. If anyone is in the area feel free to stop in and say hi.
  6. I'm in Warrenville, which means Naperville/St. Charles/Wheaton/Downers are all about 20-25 minutes for me. (And I went to high school at Wheaton Warrenville South...) I'll second the Bavarian Lodge, and also Two Brothers in Warrenville/Aurora. Always a decent bottle list, and their in house stuff is solid. Just wanted to let you all know that John's Restaurant/Tavern is doing half-price bottle nights on Thursdays, and they've really been stepping up their game lately. The had all three Central Waters Barrel Aged stuff (Stout, Barleywine, and Peruvian Morning) last week, as well as Bramble Rye (NOT half price though) and several other above-average beers. I've never met any of these people, so it might be nice to get a Western Burbs subgroup going and have some meet-ups. If someone's already doing that, well, I guess I'd better check these boards more often...
  7. My girlfriend lives about a mile or so away from Bavarian Lodge, and I am usually at her place. So, quite close.
  8. Gotta love Kenwood...
  9. Never been to Lunar, so I would be down.
  10. Would be legit if we did set up a sub-group or is there one?
  11. pippys85

pippys85 Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 15, 2011

12. pippys85

pippys85 Aficionado (140) Illinois Mar 15, 2011

Darien here. Agree with all of these places ESPECIALLY Cigars and Stripes. Ronnie Lottz the owner is out of his mind(in a good way) He celebrates Halloween for a full week by putting up a huge circus tent complete with bands, freaks, amazing smoked food, oh and of course beer. Freaktoberfest is a must.
    DBCOACHEMUP likes this.
  13. Sounds like a must!
  14. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (595) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Western Springs here.

Bavarian Lodge in Lisle is the "nicest" beer bar in the area without a doubt. Amazing obscure taplist (heavy emphasis on the obscure Belgian / European beers you've probably never heard of before), great German food, and a great atmosphere.

Brixies in Brookfield is my local (Proud member of the Brixies Homebrew Club), the best taplist in the burbs in my humble opinion, great prices, solid bar food, and a laid back totally unpretentious atmosphere. Turns into a shitshow past 10pm on a weekend however as my late high school / early college days can attest...

Palmers Place / Wild Monk are both solid spots with totally different feels in downtown LaGrange.

Favorite non Binny's retail spots in the area are Mainstreet Liquors in Countryside IL (hey Justin), Hinsdale Wine Shop in Hinsdale (help support your up and coming craft stores local folk!), and Prestige Liquors in Countryside, IL (Say hey to Craig the beer guy if you ever stop in, they still have Le Terroir if the locals are interested...).

Always hosting decent sized tastings in the area with a number of local / semi local BA's, so if your in the area and want to share a beer or two don't hesitate to shoot a BM.

Cheers!
    DBCOACHEMUP likes this.
  15. makdeco

makdeco Savant (295) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

Not the high rent that brought down Finnegans, I considered myself a regular there and am friends with the owners, Tribes is about as good as it gets in the area now IMO. (SW Burbs)
  16. All of this sounds great! Will have to meet up at Brixies, I've never been.
  17. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Bolingbrook, and Plainfield business owner. Keep our work fridge filled with Zombie Dust and Alpha King. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE! :)
  18. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

Finnegans was a decent burger, a great chicken sandwich, and UNTHINKABLE beer selection. Honestly... it was the equivalent of Map Room (maybe better) but 2 miles from my shop. Sad how they went down, but the stories have it as something where you shouldn't feel bad for anyone but the folks who worked there. Everyone's moved to the Tap House Grill. Pales in comparison, but it's better than nothing. I WISH Finnegans was a viable business. I miss that place a lot.

Who knows what will become of Limestone Brewery... but they do a great IPA and a fantastic RIS! Get their beer while you can, and hope they stick around!
  19. Orchids

Orchids Aficionado (210) Illinois Feb 7, 2010

Hire me?
  20. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

You have probably met my mom's husband, Bill. They live about 4 blocks from the store. Larger guy, usually wears a baseball cap of some sort. I send him in all the time for things, since I don't have access anymore.

Stay away from this guy. He is nothing but trouble.

For all of you Bloomingdalers, Schaumburgians, or Addisonites....there is a nice little place off 355 on Lake St. called Bigby's. Mike and Ed are great guys and usually give you a discount on your first stop in.
  21. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (395) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

It does suck that finn's closed. I miss that place. But thats what happens when you dont pay your taxs! Tribes is a good substitute. Just wish it was closer.
  22. Nachos4two

23. that'd work...
  24. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

In Huntley you'll find a good selection at the Armanetti on Rt. 47 just at the north edge of town. Just be careful as they don't rotate their stock like they should and if you're not careful you'll get some out of code beers. You'll also be only a 15 minute drive from the Algonquin Binnys which has an amazing selection of American craft and international beers. You can also head into Crystal Lake for great beer and food at Duke's Ale House. I'm in Woodstock, so welcome to the outer limits!
  25. willseph

willseph Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 31, 2011

Thanks for the info, I'm quite familiar with the Algonquin Binnys. I've been to that Armanetti's once but thought their selection was...interesting. I'll have to pop back there soon. Cheers!
  26. Nachos4two

Also off 20 and McLean in Elgin is a great selection at Genos Fine Wine and Spirits
  27. Of course! Awesome guy, spoke very highly of you for all the great stuff you hook him up with as well. You can contact me directly if you'd like when you want me to put something aside for you and Bill can pick it up. Does he have a BA handle on the new forums yet?
  28. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Psh...nothing but awesome trouble! I still tell people how we split that Rare 4 ways on a 100 degree humid summer day at Bavarian Lodge. That week was miserably hot.
  29. Bartlett Here
  30. A little late to the party but I'm in La Grange Park...lots of great BAs and great beer around the area. Not much to add to all the great places posted, but will say Poor Phil's in Oak Park is having a Firestone Walker tap take-over tomorrow :)...you'll start to get used to seeing a pretty steady group of us around Chicago area events...it's a relatively small world after all. Brixie's GI tap takeover was like the BA equivalent of a high school reunion...put on enough good beers or sell some rare bottles and you can pretty much guarantee you'll see some faces (or at least beards) you'll start recognizing pretty quickly...
  31. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Not the one on the corner--the one just east of that.

I don't think so, but not sure. He hasn't told me. I will let you know when there is something coming up or floating around. Thanks!

I know! I mean, what about a hot and humid day doesn't scream...let's drink a bourbon infused heavy stout? I wish we could have had more of those days before I split.
  32. drewba

drewba Savant (365) Illinois Nov 14, 2009

Nailed it. We'd have to wear nametags if everyone shaved.
  33. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I [kinda] miss the 'burbs.
  34. Watched it Tuesday and thought it was pretty good. Liked the tie-in with Dale getting killed because Carl didn't shoot that walker. Definitely one of the better one's this season (thought this season as been pretty slow but still a good story line).
  35. Anyone from Western Suburbs going to KBS?
  36. timmi

timmi Aficionado (105) Illinois Oct 13, 2007

Yes sir.
  37. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (320) Illinois May 5, 2008

I was on the verge but my work schedule doesn't permit it. (I'm self employed, and this is my busiest time of year. Even though I'm not a CPA.) I definitely intend to plan better next year so that I can!
  38. Have a great time! Wanted to go, but working Saturday and Sunday. Not busy enough, but busy on days when there are things I would like to do. Still in school, working, but not working enough.
  39. sliks96

sliks96 Savant (315) Illinois Oct 15, 2010

Hoffman Estates here. Trying to clear the schedule to make KBS.
  40. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Is Dekalb west enough? I go to school there but live 40 minutes westy of there.