1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

westmalle tripel

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by jtierney89, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

has anyone had this brew with 2 and a half years of age on it? it's fantastic, still super bright but light and effervescent with dried fruit flavors such as banana and pear with a faint perfumey flavor. this beer is so easy to get your hands on and reasonably priced for a trappings ale. beers like this will forever over shadow limited run once a year brews that are almost impossible to get your hands on.
  2. LoneJedi

LoneJedi Aspirant (40) Tennessee Aug 2, 2012

We are going to do a beer tasting next week and was trying to decide on a few Belgians and perhaps a few Trappist brews to feature . I have had most of the 'monk brews' in the past but have trouble remembering (great thing about B.A.). The date on my bottles are b.b. 23/05/14 . Your description sounds delicious
  3. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

I'm sure you can find some "shelf fermentors" at your local shop, I've noticed a lot of the trappist stuff moves rather slowly at stores so you can often buy them with some age on them already. my store has 3 different vintages of orval on the shelf and 2 different Roquefort 10 vintages
  4. One of my favorite all time beers. I was so excited when I found it on tap in Belgium back in the very early 1990's. almost always have a bottle or two around.

Enjoy
  5. I haven't had great experiences with this one, I found that even after 1 year it was nothing like it was fresh, I just put my last 2 in the cellar into the fridge. I don't think I will age tripels anymore as I had a not great experience with a 1 year old Norrebro Vartripel this weekend as well.
  6. Boto

Boto Advocate (575) Connecticut Apr 26, 2003

For what it's worth, I've had some Victory Golden Monkey's (750ml) that I've aged up to 4 years. Very tasty stuff. I'd say any good tripel is a candidate to age for a few years.
  7. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that I've found most tripels don't age too well, at least not for long times. I like dubbels and quads with time, but tripels and saisons not so much.
    Farmhouse styles, especially those with brett do well with time, of course.
  8. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Had one with 26 years on it. :) it was yummy.
  9. Had a bottle with a best by date in November 2012 in December 2012. Was not impressed; each of 5 people had it as their least favorite in a blind tasting with other Belgian tripels and American interpretations. Maybe we got a bad bottle, but all I tasted was straw.