1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westside Dayman sightings?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by hopsputin, Mar 20, 2013.

1. I saw it started shipping the other day. Anyone seen any (or have an idea of when/where we will)?

I realize the Stone store will have this, but any Westside sightings would be great.

thanks

2. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

Someone in the Beer Releases forum mentioned that they’d only made 100 cases. I don’t know the legitimacy of that number, but they’re going fast in SD – I know Stone South Park is sold out already, and I think I grabbed the 2nd-to-last bottle from my local store this afternoon.

3. I know a couple shops in Orange County and Stearns in Long Beach got it today, though I'm sure that doesn't help you a ton. Asked the guy at my local Bevmo and he didn't even know what it is, asked if I meant Enjoy By saying he was getting the new batch in later, even though it isn't being distributed this time in SoCal... Oh Bevmo...

MontereyBay831 likes this.
  4. yikes looks like I better call in sick tomorrow ;)

5. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

Stone SP is out of both bottles and growler fills. This is stuff is tasty.

6. Hacienda Beverages got a case in on 3/19 and sold out. Stalk the place you want this from it is gonna sell out quick.

7. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (295) California Jan 11, 2010

This just in: Coffee beers taste like coffee. If you like coffee you'll like this one. If you can't find it just put some coffee in your next beer. There will be lots more where this came from. I don't know why, but there will be.

BdubleEdubleRUN and MacNCheese like this.
  8. El Cerrito said Thursday

9. Ramirez in Boyle Heights blew through theirs fairly quickly. A little too quickly for me to get mine after work.

10. Total Wine Tustin got theirs, but not sure if they put it out on shelf yet.

11. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Had one yesterday afternoon after brewing in the morning. Picked it up at Mr Kegs in Surf City. I think its one bottle per person. Thought it was good. But not as good as Enjoy By, which I had after the coffee ipa. Had the coffee aroma at the beginning. Had some a little coffee flavor but got stronger as it warmed up. I would get some more, but not go crazy over it. Color was amber. :)

hopsputin likes this.
  12. Deliveries are going out today through the South Bay and probably the Westside. Also Port's Hop 15 is out today ;)

13. fogpusher

fogpusher Zealot (75) California Mar 29, 2011

Whole foods tustin has it

beerman4 likes this.
  14. I hope somebody that shopped at the UTC Bristol Farms after 6 PM yesterday appreciates that I did not grab the few bottles I saw of it in their front case. For whatever reason, the coffee-IPA thing didn't sound good to me at the time.

15. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

The same person also said that only 50 of those cases are going into distribution. According to Stone, it's being distributed to 20+ states. Perhaps that number is accurate, but I have a hard time believing that they would spread 50 cases over 20+ states, and plaster the beer all over their Facebook page.

16. I heard from someone who works there they made quite a bit, certainly more than 100 cases.

17. The guy at Bristol Farms pulled four out of the back for me this morning. I assume they still have more.

18. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Given Stone's massive FAILtastic record of one-off/collabs/VE's/Anni's....I can't say I'm too excited to try this. I'll make one stop to see if a shop has it, else, probably not missing much.

19. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Just tasted and reviewed this from Stone Co Store O'side. Really dug it. Keg ran out as I was trying to buy a growler full.

20. Dayman? Fighter of the Nightman?

danscott, Srsly and rm20015 like this.
  21. 395er

395er Aficionado (180) California Apr 29, 2011

Ha! I was wondering if that was the inspiration for the name. Maybe Green Man is next?

danscott likes this.
  22. I hadn't realized Hop 15 was out today too. I saw their facebook when they started bottling.

...I'm still waiting to get some Board Meeting.

I haven't been shopping in a while.....hopefully can find both of these.

cheers

23. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (295) California Jan 11, 2010

I think I've really enjoyed almost all of their collaborations.

24. tyrsis

Just finished a 2l growler of this. I want more.

25. Different tastes and all, but they've done some great collaborations (More Brown than Black and Mint Chocolate recently) and even their worst (La Citrueille?) was pretty much par for the style.

As for Dayman, it is definitely the best Coffee IPA done yet. Good dessert IPA.

26. MacNCheese

I missed Mint Chocolate, but I heard it was good.

The rest, not so much. Drinkable but nothing outstanding. Perfect Crime was meh, La Citrueille was barf, Green Tea had more floaties than the sky has stars, Cherry Chocolate was a muddy mess, Loved Highway 78, kept 2 bottles and had one last weekend -infected-, San Diego County Session Ale was good, but a lot of bottle/keg variability, I don't really remember the older ones. So, nothing undrinkable but nothing really praise worthy.

If I see Dayman, I'll snag a bottle.

27. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

Ken's recipes have probably been my two favorite collabs, followed by Highway 78 and the Alesmith/Mikkeller/Stone tripel (first release in the series). Others have been interesting, but mostly not beers I'd be interested in having more than once.

28. Be sure to check bottle dates on Hop 15 -- some places are stocked with ones from August 2012, but I did find some that was bottled a couple weeks ago.

You should also have no trouble finding Board Meeting, I've seen it everywhere.

Mint Choc was great, I wish I loaded up on bottles. I also liked Saison du Buff strangely enough. I really went in thinking I'd hate it, but I thought the herbs they used (sage and rosemary I think, too lazy to verify) showed up well and the base brew was nice.

So that this isn't a complete threadjack, I am sitting on a couple bottles of Dayman and can't wait to try this weekend. I'm a big coffee fiend (okay, snob), and a fellow coffee fiend spoke highly of his Dayman experience.

29. MacNCheese

Ken himself is a great guy, I don't know how I missed the Mint chocolate one. Must have not gone into a beer store for 2 weeks.

30. tyrsis

Manzanita has a mint chocolate beer, if some reason you can't find Ken's. Theirs is more "Thin Mint" than Ken's, but I sort of like that.

31. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Saw some at Adam's Liquor in Redondo Beach yesterday.

32. Price check on the Dayman?

33. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

marcron03 likes this.
  34. Cool, thanks.

35. tyrsis

$7.99 at Clem's! Ha ha! Fuck that place.

domtronzero likes this.
  36. MacNCheese

Bottle Craft Little Italy is out of it, checked during lunch. Where else (other than no-lube Clem's) still has it?

37. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Mesa Liquor posted on Facebook a couple hours ago that they got some in. Not sure on the price though.

38. i know knb del cerro got it yesterday

39. I picked up two bottles from Dimension Foothill ranch last night.