1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren 12 vs Rochefort 10 and Bernardus 12

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bochman, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Did the same blind test a week ago. Threw a La Trappe in there too. Pic shows the results from right to left. I actually had it..

1. Westy 12
    2. St. B 12
    3. Rochefort
    4. La Trappe
  2. You're still alive? I haven't seen you on here for a few years. Where'd you go?!
    patkorn likes this.
  3. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Haven't got to try any of these yet but would like to which would you say is the sweetest?
  4. I wouldn't describe any one of them as sweet. You either like this style or you don't and if you do you'll want to try every "Quad" you can find. Have you tried anything from Ommegang?
  5. BlackDragon

I liked Gulden Draak how would you say the 3 here would compare to it? (I love sweet beers)
  6. I had a group of friends over to do a blind tasting comparing Westvleteren, St. Bernardus, Rochefort, Dieu du Ciel Rigor Mortis, and Ommegang Three Philosophers. We all ranked them in order of preference. The results:
    1. Rochefort
    2. St. Bernardus
    3. Ommegang
    4. Westvleteren
    5. Dieu du Ciel
    There was consensus on 1, 2 and 5. Some ranked Westvleteren above Ommegang. The Three Philosophers was fairly easy to pick out due to the cherry flavour.

St. Bernardus was definitely the best value. Don't bother with the Dieu du Ciel. The Rochefort and Westvleteren were the best looking of the beers, and we all had correctly guessed that they were the Trappist beers of the bunch.
  7. BeastLU

BeastLU Savant (485) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

There a bar here that has st bernardus on tap in the regular rotation. I've never had the joy of a Westy but that keg of abt 12 is pretty epic.
  8. Umm i for one place Gulden Draak as almost like a Dark Triple(best way i can describe it) or Wizenbock-ish, more on the Belgian spice side of a Triple than that fruity brown sugary Quad side.
  9. BlackDragon

It seemed sweet to me and this site calls it a Belgian Strong Dark Ale the bartender called it a quad either way it was really good I really want to try 9000. Anyways back to my question out of the 3 beers in this thread which would you say is sweetest?
  10. Skull40

Skull40 Aficionado (240) Indiana Apr 1, 2010

Last weekend I had Westy XII, Rochefort 10 and Pannepot. I would say that the Rochefort was only slightly better than the Westy. I think the Pannepot is a great beer, but it isn't as good as these other two. As far as the sweetness question goes, I taste some sweetness in the Rochefort 10. Not so much in the other two.
  11. I had to think about this for a while. Have you tried Goose Island Sofie? One of favorites... http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/48824
  12. BlackDragon

I haven't really tried many saisons the one I did have I didn't like tasted I guess you could say like being on a farm like hay or something are they all like that?
  13. Yup, they are all pretty much like that but some much better than others. The Sofie is worth a try. Have you had a chance to try the BCBS?
    jkane101 likes this.
  14. Achel Extra is better than them all IMO I have aged bottles and had a 5 year old just a couple of months back and it was sublime.

Its a killer Quad and beats all of them.

Except a 7 year old Westy 12, which is the best beer anyone could drink anywhere anytime. Period.

I have had the privelidge to taste the old Westy Yellow Cap (Circa) 1983 , Westy Red Cap 1998, And a 1979 St Sixtus Abt 12 and Prior 8 . They were all past there best with the exception of the Red Cap which was remarkable and was hard to fault given the age, I remember the carbonation and head retention were simply unbelievable.
  15. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

Just returned from overseas with a Westy 8 dated 06-04-14 and a Westy 12 dated 17/01/16. When do we suggest I drink these as i've never tasted either. I plan on drinking them along with some Rochefort/St. Bernardus to compare but wondering when it would be "best" to do this. I realize that the age on all might be different but not too concerned with that.
  16. Funny I just did this a couple of weeks ago with friends along with Pannepot, Ovila, Weyerbacher Quad, V-Twleve, La Trappe and a few others I don't remember at this time. We all agreed Westy was the best. Others chose Pennepot as runner up, mine was Abt 12. As for the American Quad's, none could compare to any of the Belgians. Our top rated American was Ovila. An awesome day. Kind of making me thirsty thinking about it.
  17. This blows my mind. I can't for the life of me ever imagine a moment where I would sit down at my computer and say, "I'd love to see some other dude drink beers I'm interested and tell me about them."
    Pegli, mythaeus, TdLJg and 1 other person like this.
  18. Haven't tried the Pannepot as yet but am looking forward to it. I agree on the Westy 12 and Abt 12. As for the Weyerbacher Quad, it was the worst beer I drank all of last year. Swill!!!
  19. Yeah... That one was rated the worst. LOL. Although when I did have it a few years ago it tasted completely different.
    TdLJg likes this.
  20. I agree. He does a good job. Check out his latest Imperial Stout throw down.
    dar482 likes this.
  21. What do you mean, "he does a good job?"
  22. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (390) Texas Aug 3, 2011

Agreed, I love watching Chris review beer. Better than half the crap on TV
    dar482 likes this.
  23. If all are fresh I like the Abt 12. With 3 years on each the Rochfort and Westy are both fantastic. Once it gets past 3-4 years the Westy goes down hill and the Rochfort becomes even more amazing.
    Overall I take the Rochfort.
  24. dar482

dar482 Advocate (645) New York Mar 9, 2007

Master of Hoppets as well.
    TdLJg likes this.
  25. BlackDragon

Got to try the Abt 12 on draft not very sweet and while its not bad I didn't think it was as good as Gulden Draak but since I think most abbey ales are bottle conditioned are any of these 3 beers better in the bottle than on draft?
  26. The only Abbey-style beer i would want on tap would be like a an Enkel(blonde) or something similar, a dubble triple or quad, id want that bottle conditioned and not pushed and carbed with CO2
    SteelersX likes this.
  27. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I still say Westy 12 and St. B 12 taste exactly the same - R10 is better.
  28. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I'll bet this guy has never even had a fig. So typical.
    DarthGuitarHero likes this.
  29. So i should pick up 6 Rochfort and celler them for 4+ years? I have no issue waiting
  30. themind

themind Savant (440) New Jersey Mar 14, 2011

I totally believe that they are the same beer recipies. Just my opinion.
    TdLJg likes this.
  31. jojox

jojox Aficionado (210) Illinois Jul 20, 2006

32. Had a 3yr westy vs abt 12 60th anniv last night. Think the abt 12 was great, but slightly past prime @ this point. Westy blew it away... I find westy's inconsistent, however, making it a tough call. Think it comes down to how it was handled b4 it winds up in ur glass :)
  33. This would have been easy for me as Rochefort 10 and St. Bernadus 12 I found almost undrinkable, whereas I loved Westvleteren 12.
  34. You my Welsh brother are one in a million.
    Roguer likes this.
  35. When i get a Westy 12, i think i'll do a blind taste as well. Very interested by that experiment.
  36. I know right. Always tempted to give them another shot but there's always something new to get that's cheaper.
  37. It would be interesting to cellar these beers and then test them. I cellared a bottle of La Trappe Quadrupel and it was outstanding.
  38. Im doing this tomorrow, and am pretty excited about it. I'm not blinding them as I dont really see the point because I've had them all multiple times and think Id be able to pick them all up after the first sip or two anyways (plus have no one to blind pour them for me). Ill be posting back with my results after the side by side. With these fresh bottles, Im guessing Rochefort and Westy will be neck and neck and St. bernardus will be a distant third. With two years and 5 years on them, I think Westy will easily top the other 2. Time will tell. Results of the initial one tomorrow, results of the 2 and 5 year tastings will take some patience.
    dar482 likes this.
  39. Just finished up this side by side. Results are as follows:

1) Westy 12
    2) St. Bernardus Abt 12
    3) Rochefort 10

Rochefort was first in appearance (amazing head and retention) but last in all other categories. Abt 12 was third in appearance, first is aroma and second in the remaining categories. Westy was second in appearance and aroma, 1st in the rest of the categories. What really stood out about Westy was the big spice and complex flavor profile, along with an almost perfect mouthfeel. St. Bernardus with a great showing to give Westy a run for its money. And disappointing performance by Rochefort (An unappealing combination of cloying sweetness and vinegar characters made it lag far behind the other two. Ive had it multiple times and never noticed this negative characters before this side by side).
  40. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I didn't think Achel made a quad....?????
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.