1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren 6-packs in TX/SouthWest?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by starrrrrrrrr, Feb 26, 2012.

1. starrrrrrrrr

starrrrrrrrr Initiate (0) Texas May 6, 2008

Does anyone have reliable info on when and where these will be here?

2. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

On November 4, 2011, it was announced that US importer Shelton Brothers would be importing 7760 gift packs consisting of 6 bottles Westvleteren 12 and 2 glasses starting in April 2012. Also mentioned was that Manneken-Brusel Imports out of Austin, TX would also be importing an undisclosed amount of the beer into the U.S market. Pricing is to be determined.

I found that online a while back...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Manneken-Brusel distributes some locally. I've heard the price tag will be quite hefty but I'm saving up in case we see some gift packs around here. Think that's all the info we have for now...Discussions should heat up as we get closer to April.

3. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I was also told April by a couple of Bar owners

4. starrrrrrrrr

starrrrrrrrr Initiate (0) Texas May 6, 2008

5. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

Well here in Illinois shelton bros rep said it should be about $100 a gift pack retail...... But who know bcbcs was released for retail and it was supposed to be 12.99 well some shops in chicago charged over $20+ a bottle! So it will be interesting to see what this will be or when it shows up

Jamie

6. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I tend to think that my beer budget is higher than most, and $100 for 6-bottles of Westy and 2 glasses is probably something I'd buy once, but not again. If it was any higher than that, I just wouldn't buy it. They'll be eliminating a lot of their market if they go much higher than that I think, but that's just one man's perspective.

7. Phoenix2443

Phoenix2443 Savant (355) Texas Jan 20, 2010

projections i had read were closing to 300...

8. I can't wait till we get this!

9. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I bet this will come to TX but it will be like Sam Adams Utopias (basically impossible to get).

10. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

I do spend more than most on beer as well and my buddies are glad that I do because they get to try it too!

11. Well now that's just silly. You can buy this online and have it shipped across the Atlantic for a little more than half that. I'm not saying you're wrong about hearing that some retailer may try to charge $300, I'm just saying that you'd have to be a fool to pay that much.

12. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (415) Texas Dec 15, 2010

LOL! That's why you're the man, Chad! The rest of us are just squirrels...:oops:

13. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

So are we still looking at April availability ? Now that we're in March we're only a month away

14. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I still have a feeling texas wont get any... too much of a pain to bring it in, price/label approval etc. They are also considered a new brewery, so isnt there a fee on top of that?

15. thirdeye11

Hah! Hardly... I know a few guys who spend more than me, because they just have more. :)

16. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

Utopias wasn't hard to get... You just needed 150$.

17. canadianghetto

Never even heard of where it was delivered, so not so easy.

18. xpimptastikx

You've only been on the boards for a few months, that's also why.
    Most of it went to SA and was pretty easy to get if you had the cash.
    You're not missing much with utopias though, so don't worry.

19. thirdeye11

If you mean he's not missing much because it's one of the best beers ever, then yes. He's not missing much :)

Personally I think Utopias is amazing, and one of the most unique beers I've ever had.

Cheers,
    Chad

commis and Zodiacjack like this.
  20. nickss

nickss Savant (380) Texas Jun 17, 2005

I would have to agree with Chad... damn pricey, but super delicious.

21. xpimptastikx

I was trying to make the guy feel better about not getting any Utopias.
    But you're right, it's probably one of the best beer ever. :rolleyes:
    He should just quit this whole beer thing now since he missed out...

22. canadianghetto

Back to BMC I go!

23. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (355) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I know demand is higher in Houston than Corpus. That said Utopias didn't sell out at my local Specs for months. Its been a while but I remember seeing it around at a few of my usual stops in San Antonio & Austin.(around release time) Hard to find? Maybe. Impossible? Nope.

24. Smithrob9999

25. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Id buy this for the price for sure, then again i also got a bottle of utopias for 50 bucks, of course the guy i owe the other 100 needs to find me ;)

And that was in Boston, here Utopias was going for 250 and more when it got down here from what i saw.

And now that im employed im back to spending more than Chad ;)

26. lokieman

27. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (680) Texas Jun 29, 2011

I'm just glad I've already had this beer and have a bottle aging away atm. I would love to get a hold of a brick, but won't be too mad if I miss out. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas did get screwed. I don't know how the laws work exactly, but it seems hard for new breweries to Texas let alone small foreign ones like St. Sixtus to sell their beer here. Ballast Point has been held up for how long now? jesus.

28. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

How were we screwed on any of those..other than Black Butte XXXII? Austin didn;t get any but Houston still has it sitting on shelves.
    I bought BA Old Raspy from HEB, in Austin.
    And we haven't seen Hoptimum yet but last year here in Austin I bought several bottles from an 8 cases stacker at HEB.

29. lokieman

I guess I should say I was speaking for Austin and the current year...BA Old Raspy was scarce (pretty much gone in 3 days), Black Butte was non-existent and Texas as a whole is still waiting on Hoptimum.

30. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

I live in SA and I got 4 bottles in Austin. Of course I overpaid for 3 of them since they were the first ones I saw at Hyde Market. Got another 6 here in SA. If you need a bottle or two, let me know.

31. lokieman

Yea when I went there he had 2 left he said but for $28 I think. I got 2 bottles at Specs for $20/each but I just know other markets got a lot more and a lot sooner than we did. Guess I'm just a pessimist and don't want to get my hopes up...I sincerely hope I'm wrong

32. Smithrob9999

I heard that Rochefort had to pay like $3500, is that true ?

33. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

yeah. I paid $28 each for the ones I bought there. :eek: It's good, but not $28 good. Not even sure it's $20 good. lol. Centeral market and whole foods were only $19.99. Specs was a little more. I didn't even buy the two they held for me at my normal shop because I already had more than I needed.

34. canadianghetto

With St. Sixtus trying to fund the renovation of the Abbey with this release in the US, I am extremely pessimistic that this will ever come to TX. Unless Shelton Bros. pick up the tab for the brewery entry fee, but that is also doubtful since this will easily sell out in another market that doesn't have any fees. I am not holding my breath and you guys probably shouldn't either.

35. lokieman

ditto....

36. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I got a bottle of xxiii for a bottle of la muerta, ...then i realized that specs down the road(in houston where i was staying at the time) had a shelf full so i bought 2 more lol

37. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (415) Texas Dec 15, 2010

what the crap are you talking about... "xxiii"? did those monks come out with a new beer im missing out on... dammit!

38. thirdeye11

Some talk of Deschutes Black Butte XXIII got mixed in this conversation inadvertently. To sell a beer in Texas and license a brand, it costs $6,000 for the first 2 years. Subsequent years are I believe $2,000 every 2 additional years. Then there is the labeling submittal which is $75 per beer. Then there are the ABV testing requirements where if it's not within .1%, you have to resubmit the label. So there are many fees associated with selling a beer in Texas. Even though the importer for Wesvleteren 12 is going to be out of Austin, I highly doubt they will sell such a limited beer in our state, knowing that it costs $6,000 just to get started.

39. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (355) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Although most people claim Podunk Corpus isn't part of Tx, we have several cases of Hoptinum.

40. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (380) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Ain't that a bitch! I better get a lot better at my homebrewing before I get any big ideas.

Good info