1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren 6-packs in TX/SouthWest?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by starrrrrrrrr, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I am on the list for a gift pack, but I am not paying over $100 for it no matter how badly I want to try the beer.

2. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Is it any good? Is it worth those of us in SA not having it yet getting upset that we don't have it yet? Lol

3. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (355) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I haven't had it. Hoppy beers generally bore the tits off me(w/few exceptions) Last year Hoptimum came in singles. I just don't see spending $11 on a 4 pack.
    If I could get Westy bricks for $100 I would gladly pay.

4. mhenson42

So would I and I'm really not all that into Westy. Hell, I paid $45 for one bottle on eBay just to try it..... So $100 for six is a veritable bargain. Lol

5. miikezombie

I received a bottle via BIF. I've heard you can land 1 for about $20 worth of good beer. Though that may no longer be the case.

6. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Wait you would pay $100 for 6 bottles and two glasses of a beer that you don't care for? Why not let someone else who has never tried it buy one instead?

7. jamescain

That's about right, they are not as hard to get as some people think. You could always BM Brabander and get on his mailing list. I think its 32 euros for two westys and shipping.

8. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

A black market bottle shop sells the Blond, 8, and 12 for $35, $40, and $45, respectively. I've had it, and don't think it really stands up to the hype/craziness. Just give me a Rochefort 10 any day. Heck, its the exact same recipe, just different yeast!

9. mhenson42

To make sure the one I got on eBay wasn't fake. ;)

I've spent alot more for alot less. Lol

10. miikezombie

I used to consider going to the Bay, but I've learned shit just falls into your lap via solid trade partners.(and trolling the hell out of jl28r1 every chance I get)

11. miikezombie

jamescain likes this.
  12. mhenson42

I don't mind eBay. Sometimes it's just easier and the couple extra bucks it costs you after you factor the cost of a trade/shipping is nominal in some cases. That and Black Metal isnt all that easy to trade these days. Though, I will say that there's nothing out there anymore that makes me want to pay eBay prices for it.

13. miikezombie

Id never fault some one for using Ebay. If you got the cash and want it that badly go for it. Like I always say, there is always trade bait.

14. jamescain

My objection to auction sites is that I would rather share beer that I can get with someone who can't get it in exchange for something I want. That's kind of the point of beer advocacy, reselling a beer to make a profit is not.

15. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Come on over Pal, lets drink some semi- rare brews!

16. mhenson42

I get your point. I have no interest in selling beer on eBay, but I do appreciate being able to buy something without the hassle of finding someone willing to trade a "whale" for something I have/can get that is deemed to be inferior.

17. kcbearkat

kcbearkat Zealot (95) Texas Jul 3, 2011

As I understand it BB XXII wasn't bottled because the batch didn't meet expectations. So it goes XX, XXI and XXIII.

On a side note, I saw Westy in Ireland for €50 a six pack with the glasses. So anything more than $75 would be a ripoff. I have a few bottles I'm willing to trade. BM me if you're interested.

18. jl28r1

inbox flood in 3...2...1.....:)

19. jamescain

I get that but out of all the trades I've done 95% have been very generous traders. Any "whale" I have I haven't specifically sought out. Like miikezombie said, they just fall into my lap. If someone is stuck up about a trade then I just don't trade with them. Beer's "value" is all in the eye of the beholder. I find it more valuable when I'm sharing it with people.

jl28r1 likes this.
  20. jamescain

we all know you don't have anything good ;)

21. jl28r1

Agree 100%, most of the "rare" beers I have I never even asked for. A good trade relationship with a great person is all it takes.

22. jl28r1

And the Dirac goes deeper into the closet.........:p

23. jamescain

if only there was a dislike button

24. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

A guy at Specs told me the Black Butte not hitting Austin was due to a Capitol Beverage screwup...I know it hit other markets in TX, just not here in Austin.

25. miikezombie

In a couple weeks I should have something nice.

26. miikezombie

Only the bottles were recalled. I had BBXXII on tap at the Dechutes Public House in Portland.

27. kcbearkat

kcbearkat Zealot (95) Texas Jul 3, 2011

Yeah, I had it at 2010 GABF. Sad, because it was damn good.

28. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Yea I just went over to Specs and had him look it up in the computer...you sure did get Hoptimum already. I guess podunk isn't all bad.

29. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (415) Texas Jun 28, 2010

The $6,000 is for combined "beer" and "ale" licensing, in which case the same fee (or more, if the surcharges increase, as they usually do) applies every two years. In this case, though, since there isn't anything that counts as "beer" in the pack, only two of the three permits would be required, amounting to roughly $4000 in licensing fees, renewable every two years. Label approval is actually $25/beer, or $75 in total in this case. Still, unless the importer is feeling particularly philanthropic, or has a specific agreement with the brewery to do so, I don't know why they'd spend $4000+ so sell in TX when they could easily sell everything they've got in other states that don't require such exorbitant fees.

Cheers,
    Ron Extract
    Jester King

30. CommonRider

CommonRider Initiate (0) Texas Jul 27, 2011

This certainly explains the response I got from Jolly Pumpkin when asking about them coming to TX.. They said they weren't coming to TX until these fee's were more reasonable. Don't blame them I guess. Definitely wasn't aware they were doing ABV testing on every beer that comes in.

31. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

Westvleteren used their own yeast strain until 1989, when they switched to Westmalle yeast for the 12.
    I'm pretty sure Rochefort has always used their own strain.
    Maybe you're thinking of St Bernardus, which is who split from Westvleteren in the 80s and uses a very similar recipe.

32. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Well if anyone hears of anyone in TX who says they are going to carry the bricks and are taking a waiting list, after your put yourself one the list please send me a BM!!!!

33. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

What he said or it's going to be one long ass line at Specs midtown.

34. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (415) Texas Dec 15, 2010

I would expect to see your typical BA beer geek(including myself) show interest in these pricey "bricks". What would be unfortunate, and the reason for there being any "lines" to purchase them, would be the "opportunistic"(...for lack of a better word) ebayers that have absolutely no interest in this beer other than what monetary gain they can acquire from it.

I've had Westy's(12/8) before, and still have one of each in my fridge waiting for that special occasion to open, so the "just want to try it"/tick factor doesn't apply to me. However, when/if these bricks hit my area, I WILL be in search of them just so there will be ONE less brick available for those damn ebayers to profit from. :rolleyes:

...I suggest all beer geeks do their part as well. ;)

35. icetrauma

I popped the top on an 07 Westy 12 last Christmas and its drinking very well. I have 2 more bottle left and most likely not open another one till they get 10yrs old. I'm going to try, provided they make to Houston, to get a brick but it will be used for trade fodder.

36. pushstartnow13

pushstartnow13 Savant (255) Texas Nov 28, 2011

37. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

it'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

not matter how it does though - people will bitch...

38. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (450) Texas Feb 3, 2009

Have you read the thread? Texas licensing fees are $6,000 to sell beer for 2 years (this is a per brand fee). Since Westy 12 will be highly sought after nationwide, it would make sense for them to sell it where licensing fees aren't nearly as hefty as with any limited supply beer, if you don't have any other labels here under your brand umbrella to make the $6,000 make sense (Westvleteren doesn't) it is relatively safe to assume Ben E Keith will NOT distribute this beer in Texas.

beerindex likes this.
  39. Smithrob9999

Smithrob9999 Savant (425) Texas Aug 3, 2011

40. icetrauma

Not to my knowledge and that's to bad. I like me some Achel Extra.