1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren 6-packs in TX/SouthWest?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by starrrrrrrrr, Feb 26, 2012.

1. BgThang

BgThang Savant (445) Texas Dec 23, 2007

St.Bernardus abt 12 is the exact same recipe and the same water, and the same yeast. hell they brewed the 12 for westy for quite awhile as well. It's not really worth the hype, but it is a good beer

2. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Whoops! Confused it with St. B! Though I believe they use the same yeast Westy used to use, before it changed to their new yeast strain.

3. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Yup, that's what I said earlier. doesnt make sense to sell them in Texas. I hope they do, though.

4. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

They're similar beers, but they are definitely not the same. Do a side by side blind, and I think you'll agree they're quite different. We did a side-by-side with Rochefort 10, Westy 12, and Abt 12 recently. Only 2 of us were tasting, but we came to similar conclusions. Rochefort 10 was the best for me, and he thought Westy 12 was best. We both thought Abt 12 was the "worst", but take that within the context of 3 amazing beers. Abt 12 is still a world class beer.

5. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

Black Butte XXXII, man you must have some really good connections! ;)

That's like some time/space shit right there!!!

6. starrrrrrrrr

starrrrrrrrr Initiate (0) Texas May 6, 2008

The countdown begins (allegedly) for all people for whom Chimay is a mainstay. T-1 month till we can really start discussing...

7. starrrrrrrrr

All I'm wondering is if anyone has heard any new inside intel on the bricks arriving via Manneken-Brussels.

8. starrrrrrrrr

9. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Even worse news is that they will sell very well in states that don't charge $6000 to be able to sell to us

10. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Double FUCK!

starkmarvelo and willandperry like this.
  11. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

12. EA728

EA728 Savant (305) Texas Jul 17, 2010

It was in the comments below the article. Someone apparently contacted them and heard that they would not be handling the distribution.

13. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Dang fine print.

14. trustusjones

trustusjones Aspirant (45) Texas Feb 22, 2011

I've heard rumors that there is a bar here in Dallas carrying all 3 @ $25/bottle but have yet to visit and confirm. Also heard that Mannekin dropped the ball on distribution, whatever that means, and that BEK was going to pick it up but they're waiting just like everyone else. There is a distributor in Texas that works directly with Shelton Bros., Mexcor? that is the most likely candidate to handle this, or that's just me hoping they get it and not one of the big guys. Planning on stopping by this bar later in the week so I will post back and confirm one way or the other.

15. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Advocate (680) Texas Jun 29, 2011

I love all three of Westvleteren's current offerings, but I would have trouble spending $25 on a bottle. That seems like quite the deal at a bar for the 12 though. The rest are def the best in their style imo so that might be worth that price tag. Gawd...I'm kinda craving a Blonde right now. Westy needs to release packs of those. They won't be as sought after even though they rule and would be awesome to drink in Texas when its 100 degrees this summer.

16. starrrrrrrrr

I doubt Ben E Keith would pick this up either...

17. starrrrrrrrr

they both seem too small to handle such a large shipment though..

18. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Aficionado (160) Texas Sep 4, 2010

Now that it is hitting other states... Anyone know if it is fully confirmed that it won't be distributing to Tx?

19. LadyOfMuchBeer

I am guessing there aren't many craft beer imports that meet TX label law. A country isnt like a state that's willing to change to comply and meet distribution requirements of one state. This has always been my speculation as to why we don't get all that many Belgian imports.

Does law differ if it comes through the port of Houston rather than across state borders?

20. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

What label requirements do you speak of?

As far as I know, nowadays you either have to have "BEER IN TX" for <4% ABV, "ALE IN TX" for >4% OR you can list the ABV on the label and call it BEER, ALE, STRONG ALE, MILK BEER, HORSESHOE SAUCE ALE, or HONEYBUTTER CHICKEN BISCUIT BEER. Basically anything you want.

Used to be it was BEER at below 4.... ALE at above 4... and that was it. So as long as the Belgians put an (accurate) ABV on it, I don't see what the biggie is.

21. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Label laws have eased up quite a bit thanks to the Authentic Beverage/Jester King/Zax v. TABC lawsuit. I think the fee to sell beer in TX is the main thing that keeps many imports out of our state. Case in point, read the press release for JK La Petite Princess.

http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introd...ester-king-la-petite-princesse-biere-de-table

22. LadyOfMuchBeer

I was just taking a shot, not making an educated statement. Why I added it was my "speculation".

Sorry, meant to quote the post before you.