1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren brick pack quality issues?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CampusCrew, Dec 28, 2012.

1. CampusCrew

CampusCrew Savant (490) Florida Sep 2, 2008

Has anyone else noticed any quality issues with their brick pack? I've had the beer a few times previous and this is not the same beer. Over carbonated and extreme lack of flavor. As bad as I would probably prefere any other BSDA. I only drank one so far but I was pretty disappointed. Please let me know what you think about the brick packs that came out. Thanks

2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,135) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I've only had 2 bottles from the brick and both seemed identical to ones I've had in the past. If anything, the brick ones were fresher and a tad bit more assertive in the bready components.

3. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

It tastes way less rare than Westy bottles that were harder to obtain.

4. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Does it taste kind of corny? Maybe it's the gold logo.

Daemose, franklinn and feedmechili like this.
  5. SilentUproar

SilentUproar Zealot (75) Florida Oct 27, 2012

I thought the same, not much nose or flavor and overly carbonated.

6. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Only have one non us release bottle that is not opened yet, but the one bottle I did open from the brick was over carbonated. I took the top off and it overflowed. It was a calm, gently handled bottle.

7. scootny

scootny Savant (375) New York Dec 31, 2007

OK I missed this. What is a brick pack and where is it available?

Brunite and siege06nd like this.
  8. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

It took long enough for this thread to pop up.

9. No two beers can or will be the same. Its a didferent batch

10. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Definitely tastes less rare.

RyanMM likes this.
  11. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (220) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

ISO: Rare Westy 12s
    FT: Brick Westy 12s.

12. There was extremely limited availability, so unfortunately you missed it. Back on Dec. 12th, Shelton Bros. released a one-time shipment in the US of gift box sets that included 6 bottles of the 12 and two branded goblets, slangily referred to as a 'brick'. They pretty much sold out by the end of the day.

13. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (580) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

Hey! :)

Predicted this one on December 12th!:p

http://beeradvocate.com/community/posts/726648/

I'm better than the Mayans! A regular Nostradamus!:D

Here's my next one: "Tomorrow the sun will rise in the east!" and next year's KBS will not be as KBSy as last years!

Cheers!

derftron, JimsArcade, Brunite and 5 others like this.
  14. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Where "extremely limited availability" means 15,000 6-packs. The rest is accurate, though.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  15. Well, you did have to be in the right place at the right time , so maybe annoyance and disappointment colored my words. In Shelton's defense, though, I will point out that they certainly did make it well known where you needed to be that day.

BobZ likes this.
  16. GCurlow

GCurlow Aficionado (215) Washington Oct 13, 2005

They're all super fresh. Just needs more age. Flavors seem disjointed and not integrated as try should be at this point.

Try another in 8-12 months

17. Cbusssted

Cbusssted Aficionado (165) Ohio Jul 3, 2012

That's just what happens when you buy a beer from a store versus trading an arm and a leg for one.

Brunite likes this.
  18. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

They shouldn't release the beer if it isn't ready to be consumed. You don't see Champagne makers doing this. They release it when it's ready.

The truth is, W12 isn't all that. When I had some from a euro-brick I bought earlier this year - and thought it average at best, I was of course told "oh the bricks had an issue, they arent the same as the UBER RARE AWESOME VERSION "

19. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

Did you buy it for more than $85? I heard the monks put a curse on all the bottles stores sold for more than the demanded $85 retail price.

20. Last year's 'X' was way better than this year's 'X'.

[/thatoldgag]

Reagan1984 likes this.
  21. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

The theory I'm buying is that the differences between the brick Westys and the ones bought at the abbey are that the abbey ones are cellared before being sold, where as these shipped out young, and may not have been handled as carefully during the lengthy delays in bringing it to market.

Which means, give it some time. The high ABV and active yeasties ought to ensure a proper Westy experience in a year or even 2. If they are overcarbed, fridge for 2 weeks before opening. Let it sit and warm before drinking.

22. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

I was kinda thinking that maybe the Hopslam won't be as hoppy this year? Shortage?

23. What are your predictions on next years FBS? If we are going to start trading based on futures I'd like to be ahead of the game.

24. siege06nd

siege06nd Advocate (570) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

My vote for post of the year.

Hi-freakin-larious.

25. Maybe, but wineries do it every year. Most burgundies and bourdeaux are not meant to be consumed the year they hit the market. But, they can be and are great to compare over the years as they mature. Look at Stone's vertical epic series. Drink one fresh each year and then compare to an aged bottle the next year and the year after.

26. peabody

peabody Savant (380) Kentucky Jul 29, 2006

Was this a one time thing or will the monks set us up again in 2013?

27. jkane101

jkane101 Savant (460) New Jersey Sep 22, 2007

<<sigh>>
    Same type of post for every beer released. May be time for me to stay off of BA for a while

28. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

Dear BobZ,

If next years storm rolls through Vermont will Hill Farmstead release bottles outside the brewery to pay for a new roof? And if so will it be as good as everyone says it is?

...a westerner can only hope!

BobZ likes this.
  29. shuajw

shuajw Savant (495) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

Look what happened to Dark Lord. They started making a ton of bottles, it became easy to obtain and it went from one of the top couple rated beers to out of the Top 100. Rarity is a fickle bitch.

30. pheurton

pheurton Savant (335) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2001

Goes to show just how utterly meaningless/useless that list is.

beveritt, kotayk and Brunite like this.
  31. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

... well, with the ongoing drought, increase in gasoline prices and rumors about the price jump of milk...I'm thinking that the FBS maybe quite hard to find...AND, the abv may be a bit lower in years to come... ;)

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  32. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

So you're telling me I wasted $1,199? Dammit.

jmgrub likes this.
  33. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Also, more people tasted/reviewed the 2012 batch, which was disgusting.

foobula likes this.
  34. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

So similar to the concept of Stone VE? In actuality, the opposite of Stone VE since most tasted better fresher and had no business being aged that long.

35. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (360) New York Dec 5, 2010

Is this the beginning of another "I bought (and over paid) for (insert flavor of the month) and didnt like it...Its Infected!!!" thread???

Also, Nice call BobZ.

36. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (585) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I opened 2 bottles so far and they were delightful. Ur brain can play tricks on u!!

37. They taste like they always do, and it is more romantic drinking out of its home grown customized glassware. I think the gold etching on the bottles also effected the flavor... In a good way.

38. What do you expect for a beer that is like $3 straight from the source?

jmgrub likes this.
  39. Dope

Dope Advocate (600) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Not a particularly good comparison in my opinion. Dark Lord is a terrible beer. It may or may not have been good in the past but I drain poured mine if that tells you anything. This is a surprisingly common sentiment and I'm not surprised to see it fall out of the Top 100. I've never seen anyone say the same about Westy 12. People tend to either "just" like it or they love it.

*shrug*

Dope

40. That's just your opinion. Many people enjoyed the aged bottles.