1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren brick pack quality issues?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CampusCrew, Dec 28, 2012.

1. I get a lot of .rar in the nose and mouthfeel of the brick bottles personally, but it's missing from the taste.
  2. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

C
    Consider yourself lucky. The first one I opened was empty and the second was stuffed with Chinese fortunes. So pissed
    RyanMM and sliberty like this.
  3. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

If not satisfied with your bricks, send me the remainders and I'll try to get you a full refund. ;)
  4. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

The lesson, as always:

1. Your palate stinks.
    2. Everyone but me allows price, availability, and expectations to cloud their judgment.
    3. All batches of a given beer are remarkably consistent, except for the ones I've felt were off.
    thechrislife and szmnnl99 like this.
  5. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Maybe it's not just the rarity but the fact that more people are getting to try an average beer at best. I think both Westy and DL fall into the average category and now that the masses are trying them since they are easier to obtain, the reviews will be more honest. It's hard for most to rate a beer for what it is when you bend over backward to try to get it.
    There was a newscast on NPR talked about the Westy release in the states. They were at the Abbey and the monks and other people interviewed were very honest about the beer.
    Simple recipe. Not very complex. very sweet. Not the best beer in the world.
  6. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Actually that isn't my opinion...it is my impression from the multitude of complaints and negative reviews.
  7. The sample I had at the Fest in Worcester was great, poured out of one of the brick bottles. I opened one bottle out of my brick and enjoyed it in a tulip, and it was amazing, too -- even better. It was not over-carbonated, and exploding with flavor.
  8. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

You made a factual statement ("In actuality") that was actually your opinion. Now it's an impression based on the opinions of others, which based on reviews are still more mixed than decisive.
    beveritt and gpawned like this.
  9. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

It just wouldn't be BA with out these types of threads
    RyanMM likes this.
  10. It is a quality beer, how can it have quality issues? ;)
  11. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

... Thin watery mouthfeel...
    And bcbs is an instant drain pour post AB
    BobZ and dachshunddude86 like this.
  12. FredT

FredT Zealot (85) Delaware Dec 29, 2012

I think it was better than an important one my buddy brought back from Belgium. So, guess I win because I'm a glass half full kind of guy.
  13. Well and you have to hope that this person who posted did not get your pack, aka he is a manager at the store, kind of unfair, but that is the breaks. old news, employees get first picks....:D
  14. derftron

derftron Savant (300) Oregon Feb 8, 2012

i have had both. they both tasted identical.

I let the brick pack sit for a few months before I cracked it, but the carbonation/taste etc. were freakin delicious. But if anybody needs help ripping labels off, I can help for a fee.
  15. This comment seems to come up from time to time ever since XII was released.

Luckily some people with a lot Westvleteren knowledge and experience have taken upon themselves to compare XII and 12 batches. These are people who have been drinking Westy’s for many years regularity and in some cases have met the monks and brewers & have gained inside knowledge. A repport of one such tasting was recently published on this blog:
    http://trappistbier.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/vergelijkende-proeverij-westvleteren-12-en-xii/

Unfortunately the blog post is in English but the results were:

XII: more carbonation than 12/ less bitter than 12/ small differences compared to 12/ less signs of age / more refreshing and sweeter than 12/ rounder

12: bitter due to yeast / too much yeast / bitter aftertaste / port / sherry / bitterness.

More than half of the people preferred XII over 12. Both beers were of comparable age. Despite the differences all participants found that both beers were unquestionably Westvleteren beers.

It is best to consume Westvleteren 12 – 10 years old.

Personal comments:

Westy is heavily hyped and increases with age but I still do not find it to be the best thing ever. I am certain that not everyone is going to agree to it being the best beer in existence.
    jedwards and dar482 like this.