1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren Bricks To Be Sold At Sligro, Sign Up March 20th

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by doopiedoopiedoo, Mar 15, 2012.

1. rvdoorn likes this.
  2. rvdoorn

rvdoorn Savant (440) Netherlands Jun 4, 2009

Sligro.... that is a wholesale company.... I guess retailers like Mitra can buy there, not individuals like us :(

3. How about hijacking a truck and drive it through the wall there....:D

rvdoorn likes this.
  4. No bricks for me this time, i will wait for the abbey to release a bunch of bricks like they did a few months ago........

5. As a man who has have the "bricked version" and the plan version have you noticed a difference? In the latest issue of BA Tim Webb commented that the "bricked version" could have been rushed and not as tasty...

6. Not more than with other 'normal' bottles. I posted a time ago that the monks had problems with the warmroom. The crates which stood near to the wall did not get enough temperature to let the beer 'grow'. I was in the warmroom a few months ago when brother Michael told me about this problem. At that time they were installing a circulation machine to get the warm temperature to all crates. For the bricks it was a bit too late. I believe the taste difference has to do with that problem they had.

UncleJimbo likes this.
  7. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (955) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

8. The Sligro stores are only in Holland Jim. Belgium will have no bricks this time......

9. I sign in for 2 bricks!! Want to trade it for a normaal price!!

10. Mark (Mar02x) was so kind for me to reserve a brick for me at the Sligro site. I also mailed brother Michael to see if there is a chance he will have some bricks at the abbey, just like last time with the Colruyt deal. Always nice to ship some to the States........

Thijs

11. rvdoorn

rvdoorn Savant (440) Netherlands Jun 4, 2009

What about shipping some to people in the Netherlands? Now only members of Sligro can buy bricks (wholesale), it will be almost impossible for the real Dutch beerlovers like us to obtain them (since most of them don't have their own company). I start the dislike the commercial behavior of the monks more and more. They should have allowed regular beershops like the Mitra to sell the bricks, not supermarkets, not wholesale companies. Like this, the monks (again) stimulate (or at least don’t prevent) the resale of the bricks on the secondary market.

12. Als je wat leuks te traden heb rvdoorn kan dat altijd he!!

13. UncleJimbo

Isn't the idea that beer shops will buy the bricks from Sligro and then re-sell them to the public?

14. Oh yes and then sold them for 100 euro each!!!

15. I don't think it's the idea to have them being re-sold.
    Sligro is a place for small business owners to buy their supplies.
    I agree with Ron that it suck that we can't just go out and buy a 'brick'.

rvdoorn likes this.
  16. I signed in for two bricks.
    Next monday 7500 bricks will be divided or maybe raffled.

Fingers crossed ;)

17. Oh yes i can take 2 bricks from the Sligro!!!!;)

18. Damn, I got nothing :mad:.

19. I got one!

jazzyjeff13 and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  20. I even got two now!

UncleJimbo likes this.
  21. UncleJimbo

Is one of them for me? :p

22. No Jim, i still have one from the abbey waiting for you. That is one of the Colruyt deal from november 2011.

Thijs

UncleJimbo likes this.
  23. I've got also one and maybe I will get three more ;).