1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren news!

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Brabander, Oct 14, 2012.

1. I got the news from brother Michael a few weeks ago but now it's final! The beerpickuppoint from the abbey is going to sell sixpacks (and a sixpack with two small chalices) for the visitors! Doesn't matter if you have a reservation or not, you can buy the sixpacks as long as they have them that day. I don't know what the costs will be but this will make it easier to get Westvleteren at the abbey than before.

Check the site: http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerijactueel.htm

Cafe In de Vrede sell sixpacks now and then but this new selling idea from the abbey seems to be more frequent and constant.

Thijs

2. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

They had started doing it when I went last Monday. 2 of each beers were included in the six pack (it was really 2 3-packs). I think it was something like 18 Euros for the 6-pack.

3. What you got is the old threepack deal, This is something new; buying sixpacks with only the 12 the 8 or the blond in it.

Lets see how this works out the coming months.

Thijs

4. Six packs of the Blond is great news. My favorite of the three.

5. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

I REALLY need to get over to Belgium now!

divineaudio likes this.
  6. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Any ideas if this will effect the bottle shops? Showing up at more of them? Will there be an attempt not to sell to bottle shop owners or people that show up often?

7. Well Mark, bottle shops will still sell the Westvleteren to the customers who can not make it to Westvleteren. It is a small step to ban out the black market.

8. I can finally plan my trip to visit The Abbey of Saint Sixtus... its on my bucket list before I leave NL. Thanks for the info Thijs!

9. Good to hear. I'll make that trip one of these days. Thanks Thijs.Hope all is well.

10. Cool! I didn't quite make it to the abbey on my last Belgian trip, but it's hard to know what I would have found there if I had. Will definitely try again the next time I'm in Belgium, and hopefully will snag some Westvleteren beers.

Cheers Thijs :)

11. nsheehan

nsheehan Advocate (510) Texas Jul 3, 2011

I was there August 2nd and I think a 6 pack in the cafe was 12 euros. I also got the gift pack (6 Westy 12's and 2 chalices) for 25 euros I think. I saved the receipts somewhere.
    If you're biking like I did bring something sturdy to carry the treasure in!