1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren XII coming to CO?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by ssteigerwald, Nov 20, 2012.

1. The word is now out that many stores out East and in the mid-West are getting it mid-December. Does anyone have info on if/when/how it will arrive in Colorado?

Schmittymack likes this.
  2. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (310) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

if its like any other imported release from Shelton, anywhere from 2 weeks-2months later.

3. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Is the only option that gift box with the goblets or will they sell the bottles individually?

4. My understanding is the bricks and goblets will be sold together. But unless the liquor stores are told specifically to not break them up, I bet some will.

5. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

No mention of Colorado :(

http://beerstreetjournal.com/westvleteren-xii-hits-total-wine-on-dec-12/

One of the most talked about beer releases in America in 2012 is upon us.Westvleteren XII, considered by some to be the #1 on planet earth will be released on U.S. soil for one time only. The Trappist quadrupel is usually only available at the monastery in Westvleteren, Belgium. The abbey is in such need of repair, that production of the world’s most sought after beer had to be increased to raise the funds for the repairs.
    Westvleteren XII available for sale in a 6 pack with 2 glasses for $84.99. All proceeds benefit the Abbey. Total Wine has announced this release will occur on 12.12.12, and available at Total Wine in the following states: Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, California and Nevada.
    Style: Quadrupel (Trappist)
    Availability: 6 bottle packs w/ 2 glasses. One time release.
    Arrival: 12/12/12

10.2% ABV

6. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

^that's just because there is no Total Wine in Colorado... it's being distributed by Shelton, not by Total Wine.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  7. hopfacebrew

Understood, though that's all the info that's out there right now, unfortunately :(

TW&M was unable to confirm any details regarding the release outside of its stores and Shelton Brothers hasn’t yet responded to a request for more information
    http://beerpulse.com/2012/11/more-on-westvleteren-xii-release-at-total-wine-more/

8. mkorpal

mkorpal Savant (285) Colorado Oct 28, 2007

As much as I want a bottle, I think I'll skip what looks to be one of the craziest, messiest releases of all beer time.

9. Prospero

Shelton Brothers never responds to requests for more information... no information doesn't mean it won't be released here, although I would say we have slim odds.

10. hopfacebrew

So you're telling me there's a chance!? ;)

Mebuzzard likes this.
  11. I'm forcing my brother in FL to get me some. Forcing.

12. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

I think I'd rather go to Belgium than fight this release :)

13. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

cute face.

14. You've brightened up my day.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  15. Prospero

Do we even know how much they're getting? It may mean that each store might get a larger stock of it if there's only 4.

16. I hope someone will mention that at some point. If they only get, say, 12 each...I'm passing. If they get something like 50, I'm in. I assume we will know more in the next week.

17. Prospero

Well there's 7,760 gift packs say there's probably only 7,500 after that festival on the east coast divided by 142 stores listed (let's just say it's ~150) that's about 50 gift packs per store. Although now that you've posted it on BA it'll probably be like the Cantillon release all over again. o_O

18. Doh!

19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Sometimes it pays to be an advocate... and sometimes you're better off shutting the hell up. :)

20. Are you related to Joshclauss?

21. Westvleteren XII is available right meow?

denver10 and DenverBeerDrinker like this.
  22. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

I just got done dousing myself off in time to light some other BA on fire. When will this thread get locked?

coreymcafee likes this.
  23. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Interesting. I do want some (it's good stuff), but probably not enough to go after one of those packs.
    IMO, beating the grey market prices would've been a better idea.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  24. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

One store in Denver? Only four stores for the great state of Colorado? Looks like the Shelton Bros. are getting their taints tickled by some pretty talented hands.

hiphopj5, dauss and tacosandbeer like this.
  25. riored4v

riored4v Savant (370) Colorado Jul 11, 2007

Yea, its kinda BS that only one Denver store is getting some.

Not sure if I want to try and deal with this hassle or not, but Westy XII is still one of the best beers I've had.

26. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

From a note to Elite's "Valued Retail Partners"

"Elite Brands of Colorado, in conjunction with Shelton Brothers Importers, is excited to offer the
    Westvleteren Abbey products for the first and probably only time to the Colorado market! With
    the full support of retailer, wholesaler and importer no profits will be gained and all proceeds will
    go directly to the Abbey. While this is an exciting event, we do understand the difficulties this
    opportunity raises when answering customer’s questions as to why the beer is not readily
    available. Shelton Brothers asked Elite Brands to pick four stores to represent outlets in each of
    the major Front Range markets; Ft Collins, Boulder, Denver and Colorado Springs. We based
    our retail selections off centralized locations as well as their overwhelming support within their
    respective markets. Only four were selected to assure there would be multiple “bricks” or “gift
    packs” available at each location and better availability to more beer enthusiasts. Each retail
    partner agreed to not split up the “bricks” into single beers and to sell them at the rate of one
    “brick” per person."

I guess I understand but... Elite deals with a lot of Shelton Bros. "rare" and "limited" beers. Cantillon anybody? I wonder how many "bricks" are going to be available? More or less than Cantillon? Lame way to wave your middle finger to every other account Elite deals with.

hopfacebrew likes this.
  27. Prospero

That was pretty much expected wasn't it?

To be honest, I'm glad they did it this way. I hate having to fight over 1/2 cases (6 bottles) of rare beer at the one or two stores I frequent. And this keeps people from "following the truck" and having "relatives" call-in. Just hope these stores put a fair policy in place for how they are going to release it.

Sucks for the other local stores that are just as valued by the local loyal beer advocates, but don't worry, you won't lose our business.

28. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Centralized location? That's the priority? How about proper beer storage, or customer service, or beer knowledge? Good gravy!

29. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Centralized was probably code for the distributors highest volume costumers in the key markets.

30. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Unimportant.

31. I don't care about only one store, just wish that store wasn't Argonaut

hopfacebrew likes this.
  32. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Thats okay, at least the stores outside of Colorado Springs may actually sell it.

33. CK21

CK21 Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 6, 2011

Sounds like an invite for the Denverites to rent a van and head to the Springs for the release.

34. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Isn't Coaltrain notorious for holding on to beers for their tastings?

35. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Yes, a few of the 'loons that made it down went to a few select folks - remainder were saved for tasting. Majority of the Avery releases (and those of similar CO rarity) are in the same boat - don't make it out to the shelf and likely don't make it to sale at all unless you go to the tasting and then maybe.

You can bust my chops for whining. I am but I find it annoying... kind of like the guy who finds 6 'loons and buys all of them all at once. Perfectly "fair" but still annoying.

To be fair, if the estimates above are close (50 bricks/store) I would assume they'll sell a few of them.

d4radio, hopfacebrew and bigaltemple like this.
  36. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Did you guys hear about the Cantillon/Westvleteren collaboration sour quad aged on cedar and banana peel? Going to be sold in 750 ml 6-bottle bricks with branded stemware that fits a whole 750 in one glass.

Only available at my house, all profits go to a nonprofit that's helping the Belgian equivalent of the Superfund program clean out all the mold in the Cantillon brewery. $12.12 per brick, bricking on 12/12/12 like a brick brick.

...brick.

37. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

That first sentence sounds like Sam Calagione was involved. Secret ingredients: camel spit and spider abdomens.

joshclauss likes this.