1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren XII coming to CO?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by ssteigerwald, Nov 20, 2012.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

No wonder why my wife said yes....
    So I should have been in line for this a month ago?
  2. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

What!? What happened to the 2-3 month salary rule?

I'm glad I got married right after school and didn't have any money, lol
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  3. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

It's anywhere from 1-3 months, but honestly my wife wouldn't want me to spend more than that anyhow, she'd probably rather have it put towards a house payment and I'd rather put it towards great beer.... to share.... with her of course.
  4. hopfacebrew

5. Anyone know how long the line is at boulder Liquor Mart? Not going but just curious.
  6. hopfacebrew

I wonder how the line at Argonaut is too....should have driven by on the way in this morning.
  7. wdeck9

wdeck9 Aficionado (175) Colorado Jun 24, 2008

The line at liquor mart was to capacity at about 740....ended up being about 10ish people that won't be getting a brick. Overall smooth operation though - beer should come in this morning
  8. Hope you meant 74? 740 brinks would be a lot for 1 store.
  9. wdeck9

ah, 740am.....haha they only got 36 bricks in
  10. Thanks. That makes more sense.
  11. Prospero

36 people in line 20-minutes prior? That doesn't seem bad at all.
  12. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Boulder wasn't as bad as some other places might be, but I was still a little surprised by exactly how small of a quantity they got and the fact that if I hadn't been there at 7:35, I wouldn't have gotten one. This beer game gettin' cray.
    Knownfactor and MYJELLOMISFIT like this.
  13. wdeck9

We were some late additions to that line too - I really thought they would get more bricks than that considering we only have 4 locations in the state.
  14. hopfacebrew

Anyone brave Argonaut?
  15. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Last I heard, the list is closed. I don't know anything beyond that.
  16. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (420) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

a closed list for a 'name drawing'? interesting.
  17. If it's closed not sure why they are waiting until Friday to do the drawing. Get the drawing out of the way so I can start screaming how it was rigged if I don't get picked.
  18. Prospero

i heard employees had their families follow the dolly from the truck to the store when it was delivered... i'm not so sure there even WAS a list... :confused:
  19. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. The glasses are sexy as all hell. Nice job with the bottles, too.
  20. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (265) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

You're tellin me bro.
  21. riored4v

riored4v Savant (370) Colorado Jul 11, 2007

Well that sucks. Was getting off work in 30min and was hoping to get some there.
    Mebuzzard likes this.
  22. I called Argonaut thus afternoon and was told they sold out. I was then told they only got 6 bricks. The woman then changed her story to the list is closed and the drawing is Friday. A buddy of mine called afterwards and was told something completely different. Insanity!
  23. I wonder if a lot of us show up on Friday morning at opening and demand to watch the drawing what they would do?
  24. That's why I said:

hopfacebrew likes this.
  25. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Am I the only one who thinks Westvleteren VIII is better than XII?

:cool:
  26. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

Allegedly the line at Coaltrain (in Springs) is already forming... not selling it until 7pm tomorrow night. WTF. Damn NPR story.
  27. bitromp

bitromp Zealot (80) Colorado May 23, 2012

28. spoony

spoony Advocate (525) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

So (to add to the confusion), the Argo guy told me on Monday that Argo's distributer had pushed the release for them to next week...it's madness.
  29. Prospero

NPR got it wrong, it's the world's second best, and besides, this year's Westy 12 isn't as good as last years, amirite?

Chill out everybody. Argonaut has a list, it's closed, they are doing the drawing on Friday, at which point if you win, you'll be notified when they get it.
  30. tacosandbeer

good thing it was bottled in 2011 ;-)
  31. Prospero

haha, that's right, it took them an extra 6 months to distribute it... lol
  32. You are not alone. I'll stand by you with that statement.
  33. tacosandbeer

I'm on team XII ;-)
    Prospero likes this.
  34. tacosandbeer

from the article linked above "Argonaut Liquors in Denver sold out its shipment of 36 six-packs in minutes this morning. The same was true of 36 six-packs made available at Liquor Mart in Boulder."
  35. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

I liked the VIII better, too.
  36. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

Love this quote from the Post article:

"Isaiah Aguilar, 23, was playing the video game "Call of Duty" a little after midnight Thursday when a buddy decided to rally friends in Bernalillo to drive four hours to Colorado Springs.

Someone's dad, a collector who has tried some of the Westvleteren XII, tipped off the trio to the arrival of the beer that has never officially been sold in the U.S. before.

'It's rare. That's why we're here,' said Aguilar, who admitted his tastes typically run toward Leinenkugel."

It's good and we must get it because it's .rar
    Penguin3200 and Oxymoron like this.
  37. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

It ain't that rare; it's not #1. Gah :rolleyes:
  38. tacosandbeer

oh i love this! glad everyone is getting into it! not like it's reserved for a specific few. go westy!
  39. Wilbur's is going to be a shit show tomorrow morning. I'm taking my car in for service around 7:30. I think I'm going to walk over there and watch the madness. I love the Facebook post Wilbur's made earlier this week: "STOP CALLING"
    hopfacebrew likes this.