Westvleteren XII coming to CO?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by ssteigerwald, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Savant (375) Colorado Mar 4, 2010 Verified

I'm going to start calling Falling Rock now and every day until the end of Feb to ask about Pliny the Younger.

2. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (470) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

I thought Wilburs was doing it this morning. Pissed that I have an actual job and the fact that I've dropped thousands of dollars there makes me less a priority than jagoffs camping out/reacting to the news.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  3. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Advocate (510) Colorado Jul 26, 2011 Verified

LOL, that's the first thing I thought of after reading that ;)

4. ssteigerwald

5. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Advocate (520) Colorado Feb 28, 2012 Verified

Wilbur's is tomorrow, 7am. This is the most recent post, and a few of the comments:

Wilburs Total Beverage- So the line will start at 7am tomorrow morning. No coupons :) 33 minutes ago

First commenter - Does that mean you can't line up earlier? 32 minutes ago ·

Wilbur's Total Beverage - Police will be dispersing people before 7am. There will be a gated area in witch you can wait after then
    26 minutes ago ·

And now there's about 15 more comments about how that's a bad idea. Like I said, it could be solid entertainment just to watch.

hopfacebrew and ssteigerwald like this.
  6. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Advocate (510) Colorado Jul 26, 2011 Verified

That is going to be a shit show.

7. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (470) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

So it's basically a foot race? This is going to be ugly.

tacosandbeer and hopfacebrew like this.
  8. hopefully the cops remember their tear gas...

9. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Advocate (565) Colorado Sep 24, 2010 Verified

Well Vegas did it right. People began lining up early in the morning - those who got there early got their box, those who arrived with friends got their boxes, and those who showed up later, didn't.

10. tacosandbeer

Rubber bullets would make for more fun.

hopfacebrew and sir-knifes-alot like this.
  11. FishPondManager

I might just go, get in line, buy my brick, and then turn around and give it to the person I see acting most like a normal human being and not just some rabid dog. I feel like a lot of the folks now have gotten word about this deal and see that they can buy a brick for $85 and turn around and hawk it on eBay for $300+.

Westy is good and all, but this is cray. I'll stick to rounding out the kilos on my belgiuminabox orders with Westys and save the trouble.

alexipa likes this.
  12. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Savant (440) Colorado Apr 5, 2012 Verified

I'm thinking of hanging out with FishPondManager. Maybe we should do a bottle share while we watch this go down.

alexipa likes this.
  13. FishPondManager

I noticed you ordered a case of MoAS. Nothing like a BA barleywine at 7am. Shit, these cops will probably want a drink around 6:30 am when there's 200 people milling around the parking lot. Whole foods should open up an hour early. They'd make a killing!

14. DenverBeerDrinker

Had to buy the case if I wanted some. Those cops are off duty. Might be worth it to bring some extras to give to the cops if they would use their taser on some ass in the crowd.

15. FishPondManager

Lol, don't taze me bro! I gotta get the rares

16. narayan

narayan Aficionado (180) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

I might do the same and swing by and watch the madness.

17. For those that are thinking about heading over to Coaltrain still they told me over the phone about an hour ago that they have more people in line than they have bricks. It is indeed madness. Especially if Leinenkugel fiends are showing up because "it's rare". Sad because I wanted some but I'm not going to brave the madness of Wilbur's. Here's hoping for a lottery pick at Argonauts!

18. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Advocate (665) Colorado Feb 25, 2012 Verified

Returned from Coaltrain about an hour ago. Got a brick. There were 35 sold. It was actually quite civilized and I'd estimate only a handful...maybe 5-10...got shut out. The guys running the show were organized if not a bit surprised with the rabid interest. Long day of waiting in the cold, but not at all a scene. Good luck to anyone heading up to Wilbur's tomorrow.

scray24 and tacosandbeer like this.
  19. tacosandbeer

Congrats dude!

SkeeterBoganski likes this.
  20. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Champion (770) Colorado Jun 9, 2006 Verified

You actually had to wait all day?

21. DenverBeerDrinker

Wonder what time I should expect that call from Argonauts?

seanmonaghan13 likes this.
  22. SkeeterBoganski

SkeeterBoganski Advocate (665) Colorado Feb 25, 2012 Verified

Unfortunately, yes. They rocked the first come, first serve...and the truck didn't actually show up until 3-4PM. I imagine they also wanted to drag out the 'visibility' a bit with 3-4 news crews showing up. I've actually never waited in a line for beer, or concert tickets, or glimpses of the Queen's vagina...so it wasn't entirely ideal but not awful.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  23. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Advocate (645) Colorado Oct 5, 2011 Verified Subscriber

24. ssteigerwald

Any news on riots, carnage and mayhem in Ft Collins? Or was it smoooooth.

25. Prospero

Prospero Champion (765) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

Reports for Boulder were 35-36 gift packs. I presume same for all 4 of the stores, but Denver is like 2x the population of Colorado Springs, Boulder & Fort Collins, so I'd hope Argonaut got more but doubt it. We'll find out today I guess, presuming the lottery is still happening and they didn't accidentally sell them on the 12th like reported.

HoldenDurden likes this.
  26. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (320) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

My girlfriend saw a local news report this morning that seemed to play up the chaos angle - shoving, etc. - but then I guess she said the store owner made it seem like everything was perfectly normal. I'd wait for an in-person account to get the whole story.

27. Anyone know when they are doing the drawing for the lottery at Argonaut? I just hope someone on here lands a set so we know that at least the drawing was legit.

28. DenverBeerDrinker

Thought I heard that they weren't going to notify people until Monday but that's 2nd hand. The email I got said the drawing was today. Not really sure what the delay is.

29. tacosandbeer

30. HoldenDurden

HoldenDurden Savant (395) Illinois Nov 27, 2011 Verified Subscriber

When I spoke with someone at Argonaut over the phone on Tuesday morning, he indicated that the "lottery" would involve drawing names out of a hat. I can't decide if that undermines or justifies the concerns about legitimacy.

seanmonaghan13 and hopfacebrew like this.
  31. Prospero

Prospero Champion (765) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

Isn't that how a lottery is done? ;)

hopfacebrew and HoldenDurden like this.
  32. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (365) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

I don't care about lotteries and mayhem, I just need to be certain that not a drop of beer was sold without the stores going through the proper channels. Was it tweeted and facebooked since that is the only official way to sale beer?

seanmonaghan13 likes this.
  33. I was at Argonaut this morning and was told by the guy I always talk to (not the beer guy) that they sold all their bricks Wednesday. He said there was a line of guys when they opened the doors. He also told me they had a tasting of it there at the store and he had really enjoyed it. I mentioned that there was info that the drawing would be today. He seemed pretty confidant they had already left the building.

34. HoldenDurden

HoldenDurden Savant (395) Illinois Nov 27, 2011 Verified Subscriber

At the risk of being confused with an authoritative source of information, i just stopped in Argonaut to pick something up and inquired about the "lottery" status. A genuine, affable employee stated:

1) they capped the list at 300 people;
    2) the drawing will be held this afternoon;
    3) those people drawn will be called this afternoon;
    4) if you're on the list you have a 1 in 6 chance of being selected; and
    5) said employee was not allowed to add his name to the list and was rather bummed.

Working backwards from these statements one could surmise that Argonaut received 50 six-packs, but I'll leave that to others.

*On an unrelated, threadjacking note, Argonaut has DFH Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale for sale. I never see that in these parts.

35. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

We would've just post a release day and time. Seems easy. I can't figure out why they try to make it more difficult than it is. Now I just have to answer questions about "that super special beer Monks make, that everyone is talking about".

36. Not too important anymore but I was told by the beer buyer on Tuesday that they got 36 bricks.

37. Monk's beer is so "hip" these days. Big bros love that Chimay blue, dog. Loads of odd phone calls and frantic emails this week and then those that have had the beer laughing at the increased exposure while they casually purchase Rochefort and Achel Extra.

joshclauss, Mebuzzard and Knownfactor like this.
  38. DenverBeerDrinker

It would be interesting to see the list of stores (across the country) and how much each got based on distro in the US. One store in Chicago area got 65 based on their postings from the lottery they did. Seems like Colorado didn't do as well as other parts of the country.

39. The store I used to go to in Iowa City apparently got 80!

40. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Advocate (520) Colorado Jul 22, 2005 Verified

Agreed. I talked to a buddy in Maryland who said his place (corridor wine & spirits) got 200. He counted 60 people lined up when the store opened.