Westvleteren XII expectations.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jpfromb, Dec 17, 2012.

1. I wouldn't quite call it derogatory when someone states that they prefer one beer over a much more hyped/expensive beer, I'd call that having an opinion. Saying that a beer is hyped and overpriced is not saying that the beer is bad, rather the price that is being demanded for it and the difficulty to obtain it is bad.

Coming out and saying that Westy sucks and the monks should be ashamed would be derogatory. IMO, someone saying that Rochefort or St. Berny, etc., is a good comparable is a service to us all.....

2. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

for the price the bottle better blow me after I drink it ;)

tronto and MrMcGibblets like this.
  3. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

i'm of the opinion that his opinion that your opinion is derogatory is like.. his opinion...maan..

gshak and TWStandley like this.
  4. I'm curious as to where the homebrew placed. Can you ellaborate?
    I have a Pannepot 2008 that I just haven't cracked yet. Probably should, as my local store had 2 left and I may be sorry if I let someone else get them.

5. kingmaker

kingmaker Savant (310) Louisiana Nov 20, 2012

This is exactly why I got it. Besides, it's a nice feeling to know I helped put a roof over 21 silent monks' heads

cnbrown313 and Squidly like this.
  6. thudstaffer

thudstaffer Zealot (85) Oregon May 7, 2009

I wasn't able to get any, but I heard it tastes like sour grapes anyway.

7. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (435) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Has anyone else noticed the Abt 12 flying off the shelves in the wake of this Westy 12 excitement??

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  8. I didn't prefer the Westy either, however it is a damn flavorful beer that should age extremely well. Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed St. Bernardus Abt 12 over Westy hah!

9. We didn't detail out elaborate rankings because there were so many people attending and it was a pretty raucous night. I remember the homebrew didn't embarrass itself by any means but also wasn't anyone's favorite and didn't have the complexity of the bottled beers. One issue is that it was considerably colder (I stupidly forgot to take it out of the fridge to reach the same temperature as the others) and quite a bit flatter (it was poured from a growler that had been filled from a keg, then taped up).

Beerisheaven likes this.
  10. If you have never had it, a t=0 sample would be obvious.

kojevergas likes this.
  11. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (370) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Hope not to be too disappointed - my first one is in the mail from a trade...

12. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Mine say 14.03.15 so this particular 6 pack is 9 months old.

I've had this beer several times over the past 5 years (vintages ranging from 0 - 10 years of age) so I'm not going to be surprised when I taste it.

foobula likes this.
  13. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Interesting. So being a low capacity brewery, they didn't produce it in one day. I wonder what the range of bottling dates is for these bricks.

14. RickS95

RickS95 Savant (490) Indiana Mar 19, 2004

I had each of the three Westies last year and thought they were all amazing, but thought 8 was the best. I picked up two gift packs last week and am looking forward to trying a year old 12 v. a newer one. It may or may not be the best beer in the world, but it sure it good.

15. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

You could set up a poll on BA with a few choices corresponding to date ranges and find out pretty quickly!

16. I believe that Westy 12 is dry hopped with hypco hops and barrel aged in hype barrels! It is a well ballenced great Quad but not the best beer. Yet I don't think the price tag for six an a glass was too bad.

sbuysse likes this.
  17. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

No for a while they only offered 1 crate instead of the normal 2 or 3 crates, thus periodically holding crates of beer back to be used for the sales in Europe and the US.

18. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

La Trappe is the highest rated Quad that I've actually taken the time to review, and I may even prefer it, but I think of the St. Bernardus and Rochefort as being closer to the Westy.

19. digita7693

I personally think La Trappe is inferior to almost all the other well known quads I have had (pannepot variations, westvleteren 12, rochefort 10, st bernardus 12), it just seemed thin and boring and I have had it a handful of times whilst living 1 mile from the Belgian border.
    The BA La Trappe was quite nice though.

20. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

So this is literally the same Westy 12 offered to everyone this past spring & summer. Not a special batch and no reason to suspect inferior quality

21. i would give my left arm to try this.

22. digita7693

Nope, not at all. I have tried it, and compared it with other bottles, all taste deliciously westvleterenish to me:)
    I have had several from the bricks that were released in Europe for 24€. I cannot speak to the ones recently released in the US, but I cannot think of any reason to doubt their quality, unless they were stored improperly, in the US, for several months until they were released just before the holidays.

23. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

99% of beers do not live up to the hype/quest of scoring a bottle.

24. my EXPECTATION was to get some, but i didn't because my friend said he could get some but really just thought he was going to walk into a bottle shop and pick some up two days after the release. not sure if that's helpful, but i'm still bitter about it.

25. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (785) Ohio May 29, 2005

If I'd never had it I imagine I'd be trying really hard to get a brick, even at $85. So glad I've had it so I don't feel the need to overpay.

26. Have done that before.. (long before these gift packs ever hit)
    It wasn't even close. That opinion was shared by the other participants as well.

27. BelgBeerGeek

BelgBeerGeek Disciple (70) Belgium Nov 11, 2012

Westvleteren is nothing more than overhyped bullshit !
    If peope would be able to buy it in the supermarket like they can with Rochefort and Chimay then nobody would bloody care about it !!
    I really can't understand that some beergeeks on here can really honestly tell that westvleteren is the best brew on the planet ! i really can't !
    Westvleteren isn't even the best beer in the Quad/Abt style , so i really don't understand the fuzz around this beer.
    The Westvleteren 12 is just a darkend and sugared up version of the Westy 8 !
    La Trappe Quadrupel is such an amazing beer and also Achel Bruin is very good, but do those get mentioned ?
    NO just because they're widely avaible.

If you're a real and i mean a real beergeek/beer conaiseur you should be able to taste and make for yourself that actually Westvleteren is just a moderate brew with moderate taste compared to other beers on the market.
    Same goes for Dark Lord , so called best Impy In the world , and why is that ?
    Because people need to go buy tickets for a 1 day in the year event, where they're then able to buy a bottle of Dark Lord.
    I think it's really ashame these days that beers get considerd good or better then others just cause they're not easly avaible ...

Be a real beerlover and not a tickerlover ...

tendermorsel likes this.
  28. How long will these age? I figure a long time but the reason I'm asking is my wife and I just had a baby girl 3 weeks ago, I thought I would put 2 of the beers back until she turns 21 and have one with her on her birthday. Do you think they will be ok for 21 years in a dark cool place? Thanks,

29. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

This. Most don't realize they should drink this one around the date on the cap so they are underwhelmed when they open it fresh. Having had it fresh and with three years on it i can agree at three years it is much much better than fresh and a real treat.

Zimbo likes this.
  30. MCRMD

MCRMD Initiate (15) Dec 19, 2012

31. I would echo what most are saying. In a blind tasting I picked Westy 3rd behind Pannepot and St. Bernardus. That said, Westy ages in a phenomenal way that the other quads can't compete with. Had a 3-4 year old Westy and it was one of the best beers I've ever had.

32. I hesitated to go and spend $85 on a six-pack of beer with some glasses. The Westy 12 is fantastic, I'm sure, but as some others have stated before, I'm thinking I would be disappointed that it's not quite as good, or just as good as many of the other quads that I've had (Rochefort 10).

33. Orval is a love it or hate it beer for a lot of people but Achel, while they do make a light blonde beer, has what is basically a quad - the Achel Extra. Maybe I'm reading this wrong & you don't care for any of the Achel beers - but in case you haven't tried the Extra, I think it's quite good.

I was able to try a bottle of Westvleteren from the gift packs & it seemed younger/boozier than the few bottles I've had in Belgium (which were excellent). I have no idea how old those were since I didn't know how to date them until someone mentioned it in this thread.

34. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

This is the derogatory posting I was referring to earlier in the thread.

35. No beer is worth how much you guys paid for it, but I had one brought back from Belgium about 5 years ago and I thought it was extremely good.

36. la trappe quad has always struck me as cloyingly sweet. every time i try it, it's like raisin-prune-flavored cough syrup. achel bruin is awesome though, it is underappreciated

i think you're about 4 or 5 years behind the times here. dark lord hasn't held anywhere near the top spot for a long time.

http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/157
    http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/ByStyle_012012.asp

digita7693 likes this.
  37. Mine was a gusher. It did have a rough ride home the night before. It was tied up to my bicycle. I didn't have any for three or four days after that. I don't know. It's young live ale. Mine was bottled 12-2-12.

38. that's a european date, btw. february 12th

foobula and airmike like this.
  39. I caved... craft beer cellar had 15 left this morning so I stood in line. Maybe overpriced but ive havnt tasted any yet. I did it for the Monks, I dont want their roof to leak

cnbrown313 likes this.
  40. If you can fit inside of it, fire away, Champ!

jimmy666 and tacosandbeer like this.