1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren XII expectations.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jpfromb, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

From the sound of things, I'll be sticking both bottles I have coming in trade straight into the cellar...I don't need a baseline...just want peak Westy.

2. i honestly don't get all the people who've never had westy saying they won't touch theirs until after cellaring a couple years. it's already great right now (they were likely bottled over 6 months ago anyway), and if you like it enough to want more for cellaring, it's not really THAT hard to obtain.

jroberge1981 and SGToliver like this.
  3. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Had my first last night. Stunning beer, and I'll agree with the guy above me about those who are avoiding opening one, instead aging all of them. What a shame to do such a disservice to one's self

4. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I don't understand why everyone forgets Pannepot when they start comparisons.

5. dwoolley1

dwoolley1 Savant (365) New York Dec 16, 2009

They're all good.

6. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Yeah, head to head sweeter normally wins out. That's what I don't like about tastings. Small sip going from one beer to another. I think that Westvleteren 12 captures flavors that I don't get from any other beer.

And I do agree on the Rochefort 6. I guess that I'm a alcohol slut like everyone else, but Rochefort 6 and the Westvleteren Blond are truly amazing beers.

7. Would anyone want a barrel aged version of Westy 12? Would it blow your minds and make you pay 400 dollars for a beer?

8. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Nothing would make me pay that much for a beer, BA la trappe is pretty good, so I can imagine BA Westvleteren being amazing.

9. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I don't have that sort of cash...but I could trade a kidney maybe?

10. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Unfortunately I think it will go down... I just had it for the first time and while it was exceptional, I cannot say that it is the best beer in the world. For me it did not live up to the hype...

11. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

To answer the Title of this Thread: Expectations?

Expensive and better be damn good!
    Going to follow it up with a St B 12. Got a bigger bottle of the SB12.

12. dauss

dauss Advocate (575) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

[​IMG]

For xmas, I decided I'd do a side by side, since I now have the chance.
    Westvleteren: 10.02.15
    Rochefort: 110117 09:16
    St. Bernardus: 23.03.17

I would say, by themselves, they all are great beers. Side by side though, you realize the difference. I have had all these beers numerous times in the past, but only one beer involved a trip visiting my dad in England, taking the train down to Antwerp, then Brussels, then a 2 hour rental car drive to the abbey to drink it at the cafe over a plate of cured meats. Also did the self tour of Cantillon and met Michael Jackson and had my picture taken with him at the 2005 Great British Beer Festival. Westvleteren wins hands down, but not for the reasons you may have thought.

13. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Tried Westy 12 this past saturday...... I think Rochefort 10 and St. Bernadus beat it hands down.

14. I think they will drop a little, for this reason. Fresh Westy 12 is amazing. But 2 year old Westy 12 is one of the best beers on the planet. It certainly improves with age. With it hitting the states, people are probably going to drink it immediately. Before, when the majority of people who were rating it were receiving it via trade, very few were drinking fresh bottles. That's my take. Still will stay very highly rated though, its an incredible beer.

yemenmocha and Docrock like this.
  15. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I gotta stop doing that. I used to wait tables and we weren't allowed to call it "blue/bleu cheese" even though it came in a 5 lb tub off an 18 wheeler.

Thanks for calling me out! :)

16. Ill be doing a side by side of these same 3 soon. And repeating it again when each bottle is approximately 2 years old. Stay patient and ill get back to you guys then with my thoughts!

17. I
    I was going to do this but I couldn't justify loosing my eyesight to compare beers.

FarmerTed likes this.
  18. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

I actually am not a huge fan of quads, a lot of them are too sweet for me. but the fact that you can get to cases for twenty dollars less in belgium is a bit ludicrous to me I'm almost positive the monks don't see hardly any of that mark up. I would be all for it if it was a 30 dollar six pack with a mandatory 50 dollar donation to the monastery. Who knows maybe they do see a majority of that price tag, but I think its Shelton thats cashing in. No hard feelings at all I wouldn't buy it given the opportunity not at that price, don't get me wrong I spend more money on beer then most of the people I've ever met, but paying a crazy mark up for a beer I may not even like so I can have a chip on my shoulder and tell people I've had THE westy 12 is pointless. By exclusivity I meant the total wine BS.

YogiBeer, chanokokoro and breugal like this.
  19. I'm not sure which I like. Drank two of my six comparing against pan, roc, and stB. Traded two for beers I can't get in my area (also because I felt like sharing), and will hold the other two for a year, then 5 years to compare with equally aged pan, roc, and stB.

Fresh it's definately between stB, and westvleteren

20. Im actually not sure there was much of a markup. $85 was the suggested retail price, and from what I heard, there was very little profit margin to be made by Shelton and the stores that sold it.

21. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Westy is fantastic, nice plummy characteristic, well balanced, well put together, the works. Rochefort and STB are just as good though. Worth trying to get if you can. Maybe don't buy a brick yourself - split it up with some friends.

terrapinfan88 likes this.
  22. Just had the Westvleteren 12 (not a gift pack Westvleteren) a few hours ago. Loved it. Drinking a Rochefort 10 now for comparison, however it's not a direct comparison. The Westvleteren is 2 years old, the Rochefort is 10 months old. Westvleteren was definitely the beer I preferred, the Rochefort was just too hot. I'm going to try to get a two or three year old bottle of Rochefort for a more direct comparison.

I haven't had a St. Bernardus in about a year (just the Christmas on tap, which was out of this world), but my memory tells me that's the one I prefer. No idea what date the one I reviewed a few years ago was though. I'll have to grab a St. Bernardus this week and revisit while the Rochefort/Westvleteren are fresh on my mind/palate.

23. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

Hmm. Not sure why so many people are surprised with the similarities between Westvleteren 12 and St Bernardus 12. Afterall, St Bernardus 12 was a beer commissioned by the monks at the St. Sixtus.

24. terrapinfan88

Recommended by whom? Im sure they sat down with total wine and hashed out the price but every other trappist goes for 8 dollars a bottle at most in my area. I understand you get a glass too but but chimay chalices are 6 bucks solo, less wholesale. Orval is ten through the mail... shipped. I'm just saying the price and the exclusivity along with Shelton being behind it are three big enough turn offs that I'm not interested in buying it. The fact that they fractured some laws to ensure that total wine only ended up with it is even sketchier.

Will I buy any? No
    Should this have and burden on what anyone else thinks? No
    I'm just saying somethings fishy and I want no part of it.

25. there is a lot of rumor, mystery and convoluted history with regards to recipe and yeast strain changes over the years. supposedly westvleteren now uses the same strain as westmalle, but not during the days it was contracted at st. bernadus. i forget all the details and specifics, but there were a couple of threads on the old forum. hopefully the archives will be restored for viewing soon.

in the meantime, perhaps thijs (brabander), ron pattinson (patto1ro) or others can chime in.

26. lol, the above really is much more fun to read if you do it in karl pilkington's voice. :p

YogiBeer and hoppusmaxximus like this.
  27. Suggested retail price from the monastery I believe. Remember, this expansion to US retail was solely for the purpose of financially helping out the monastery. And in other threads other people posted some info about how Sheltons and the retail stores were not making much money at all from charging $85 for the bricks. I do not remember details, but hopefully someone who knows can chime in.

Do I care if you bought any,absolutely not. I am thrilled to get a brick for myself though. A six pack of one of my top 3 fav beers of all time and two collectible glasses. I have no trouble paying $85 for that

chanokokoro likes this.
  28. From what store workers have said on these forums, retailers only made $3 per brick. (Shelton has been tight-lipped about their cut.) The monastery directed Shelton Bros to tell retailers that the bricks must sell for $85 because the point of the US release was to fund repairs, not to encourage price gougers. (The only exception to the price point was Hawaii for obvious extra shipping expenses.) However, several NYC retailers were selling the bricks for over $100.

29. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

ISO: A left are FT: Westy

devlishdamsel likes this.
  30. which ones? they should be called out.

31. Overheard at a local store where the proprietor was talking to a customer about the Westy release "Oh yeah, we charged $98 for the boxes, only $2 over what they cost us." I was sorely tempted to snark, but restrained myself.

32. terrapinfan88

Thanks for the info, I'll have to do some more research. I'd be curios to know what the monks cut is VS Shelton's cut.

I'm not sure what store it is but depending on who distributes things do sometimes come in over SRP. Not often but it does happen and the times I've seen it happen its been with hot ticket items (utopias) I think we ended up paying 15 dollars more than SRP from the wholesaler. I'm not sure where the disconnect comes in but it does happen, and unfortunately that must be passed on to the customer.

Merry Christmas all!

chanokokoro likes this.
  33. I think with Rochefort 10 being a "similar" beer and being much more readily avaible and in the top 25 that the reviews won't sink much. It will still likely be a top 10 beer regardless.

I find Westvlteren 12 to be much, much better than Rochefort 10

chanokokoro likes this.
  34. Docrock

Docrock Savant (455) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

Got the chance to enjoy 2 bottles over the last week. First was at a friends and at first I was just a touch disappointed. Had another today and was blown away. Isolating the differences. First bottle was from the US brick sales and less than 11 months old and for some reason my friend served it right out of his fridge at 38*. The bottle I enjoyed tonight was bottled in Feb of 2011 and was served at just over 50* and I let it warm a touch after that. It was amazing!

So I guess a question for those that were unimpressed, what age did you have on the bottle you consumed and at what temp was it served at? It made a huge difference for me just a couple of days apart.

35. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

Just had my first ever and was underwhelmed. Less than 5 months old. I got a cola sweetness, subtle banana, some nutty and slight hoppy flavors. I was anticipating a lot more banana based on other quads I've had recently. Letting it warm up for 30-45 mins brought out more sweetness. It still wasn't nearly as tasty as I had hoped. Will age bring out more flavors? I have no doubt it's a good beer, but to me can't compare to the intense flavors of a well crafted BA stout. Bottom line is I found nothing truly unique about it compared to other beers I've had, and it didn't taste like the special occasion I hoped it would be.

36. Dobby

Dobby Aficionado (150) California Jan 30, 2011

Doing a Westy, Rochefort, and St. Bernardus all 2012 and 2010 versions...Ill let you know how it goes.

37. I expected this beer to taste like the masterful $17 in trading power that I regularly enjoyed for the past years, INSTEAD it was a clear $11 of Rochefort 12 trading power and deliciousness.

THAT DOES NOT SEEM RIGHT.

now what am i supposed to these bricks I was expecting to trade for whatever top 100 beers I know nothing about but still want right now, ISO: KAGGEN plz.

libbey likes this.
  38. meanmutt

meanmutt Advocate (670) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

Just did my blind test today...Rochefort 10 was the winner.

39. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Recently tried a Westy12 sample from the recent US brick release and found it to be lagging a touch behind St. Bernadus and Rochefort 10 just my 2c

40. Mpollard

Mpollard Aspirant (40) Germany Oct 28, 2012

I've had a few cases of the 12 aged for 3years now and can attest it does get much better with age. We drank a few newly bottled and could immediately feel the alcohol burn. The aged 12's were very smooth and slightly sweeter. Went great with smoked beef tenderloin! So, for all of you judging having just received this beer should give it time to further ripen. Can't wait till mine is at least 8-10 years old.