1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westvleteren XII expectations.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jpfromb, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Holy shit! Rochefort 12 is a rare brew indeed!

As for the original question posed by the OP, the ratings will probably go down a bit. But since beer reviews are 100% subjective, I don't know that it will really matter. As someone pointed out earlier, the ones that have been sitting around the U.S. for a few months may have been stored at temps that were not ideal, so that may play a part. I have some that I picked up at the Abbey and some that I got on 12-12-12 at Total Wine, so I'll be sure to make note of any differences.
  2. Westy 12 is phenomenal, and anyone who hasn't had any usually slams it harder than a hooker on HGH. Go figure.
  3. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I've had it (earlier in thread) and it wasn't phenomenal. It wasn't even great. It was good.

YMMV
  4. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Tried Westy against St.B with a room full of BAs. Westy hands down. Not even close.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  5. was it done blind? only way for this to be objectively significant.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  6. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Okay so I need to come clean... Done a lot of hating on spending way to much money on beers (namely this one) over the last few months... yet I just paid 100$ for two bottles of Murda'd out stout... one to trade (hopefully for some westy :p), and one to age for a few years, then crack open at a brewclub christmas party.
  7. I was lucky enough to land a 6-pack and two singles. I'm still sitting on the brick and cracked 1 of the 2 singles.

Overall...its a great beer but def not worth the hype. I prefer St. Bernardus 12 or Rochefort 10 over the Westy. Supply and demand drives the hype on this and I would much rather spend the money saved on some nice BBA stouts.
  8. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I'm just going to stick with Real Ale's Black Quad for 8.99 a 4 pack...:D
  9. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Cracked me first bottle of this and drinking it now. Good but overpriced and overhyped.
    foobula likes this.
  10. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

But try aging Rochefort 10. I can't stand the stuff fresh because of the horrible coriander flavour. Give it 5 years in the bottle and it's incredible. After 10 years it's one of the best beers I've ever tasted. I just wish I'd bought more to age. Though I do still have three bottles with a sell-by date of 1998.
  11. Davihaw

Davihaw Savant (310) Illinois Jun 19, 2012

Just did a blind taste test with some friends. Some of them are beer enthusiasts and some were at the right place at the right time. We tasted Westy 12, St. Bernardus Abt 12, Chimay Peres Trappistes and Rochefort 10. The results are in and they are as follows:

1. Westvleteren XII
    2. St. Bernardus 12
    3. Chimay Peres Trappistes
    4. Rochefort 10
  12. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

So whatcha want for one of them? :)
  13. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

No way I'd sell any of them.
  14. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Westy 12 was pretty darn decent.
    In now way shape or form would I ever trade a Darkness for one again. :)

Had to try it though!
  15. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I think the hype factor was cancelled out by the tacky packaging and throwaway "chalices."
  16. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

I drank it at the monastery (or across the street more specifically) and I thought it was great - in fact, that's what my avatar shows. I certainly think it's comparable to the other brews people have already mentioned on this thread.

However, I couldn't bring myself to pay that sort of price for what they released here in the States. If you lived in Belgium you could actually get a whole case for around $52 USD. But I also think they knew exactly what they were doing. A one time release, $12 a bottle doesn't sound so bad when you break it down with the cost of glasses (as someone earlier in the thread mentioned).

But at least it's for a good cause I suppose, supporting their addition and way of life.
  17. I'm not a fan of the dainty glasses either but they're hardly 'throwaway'. Also remember that the monks live a rural part of Belgium and do not have much money for fancy packaging and the like.
    As for the hype, its purely from beer geeks and middlemen who want to curry favour among beer geeks to the tune of ridiculous mark-upsand profit.
    BobZ likes this.