1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westy 12 Coming to Oregon - Break out the checkbooks

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by skourtis, Dec 5, 2012.

?

Are you buying a gift pack of Westy 12?

1. HELL NO! Westy 12 is soooooo 2010.

32.1%
  2. I would consider it if I hadn't just dropped some Benjamins on MOAS and Abyss and B15 Kriek

17.9%
  3. I will split it with a few friends...but who gets the Westy 12 glasses??

17.9%
  4. You know it! I am a ticker and need to have a few in my cellar for EPIC white whale trades

32.1%
  1. skourtis

skourtis Aficionado (135) Oregon Sep 1, 2006

Oregon locations for Westy 12 release on 12.12.12 have been officially announced for Oregon. No shockers in the list of places as they are the ones consistently quoted when describing places to buy specialty beer in Oregon.

"OREGON
    Corvallis Beer Supply, Corvallis
    Market of Choice, Corvallis
    Bier Stein, Eugene
    Market of Choice, Eugene
    16 Tons Beer & Wine, Eugene
    Belmont Station, Portland
    BeerMongers, Portland
    Saraveza, Portland
    Hop & Vine, Portland
    John’s Market, Portland
    Market of Choice, Portland
    Market of Choice, West Linn"

The thing that blows me away is the price tag - Shelton Brothers has announced the Saint Sixtus has DEMANDED a price tag on $84.99 wherever Westy 12 is sold (with the exception of Hawaii). That is $84.99 for six 33CL bottles (66.9 Oz total) and two trappist stems!

Westy 12 is special but who is gonna pay this much in Oregon for this beer? Are people planning on splitting gift boxes at this price? I have a feeling this will be sitting in these stores for a while.
  2. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I'll just go buy some Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt. 12 instead.
    vkv822, djbreezy and CaptainTripps like this.
  4. The craziest thing isn't the $84.99 msrp. Isn't the wholesale price something like $83.50?
  5. If I see it, I'll probably buy one to age the bottles even though I have at least one in my cellar. But I'm kind of stupid.
    draheim, NWer, sholle and 2 others like this.
  6. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

I believe so - I remember reading that in one of the other Westy threads...one store manager said he declined the chance to order some because he wanted to adhere to the $84.99 MSRP, but he couldn't justify it given the $1.49/set profit margin.
  7. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

6 bottles of Westy plus 2 swank glasses at $84.99= less than 11 bucks for each 'entity' in the pack. Not really all that outrageous IMO, although with all the badass HOTD and whatnot you've got available out there, I can see how one would skip it without a second thought.

Over here in SC, I'll probably pass not due to the price, but because I like other easily obtainable quads like St B better. I might try to get one for trade bait down the road, though. (Maybe for some of the aforementioned HOTD badassery, ha.)

Edit: The price margin thing is rather curious, ain't it?
  8. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

It'll sell out immediately, and actually, its cheaper than HOTD releases :)
    NWer likes this.
  9. Swank glasses? Do you mean shrank glasses? I wish the gift pack came with full size Westy glasses instead of the smaller versions that they actually sent.
    weatherdog likes this.
  10. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

I must plead ignorance here; had no idea that these gift pack glasses were not "the real deal".
  11. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

That's a lot, but unfortunately, it happens to be less than what I paid for the beer on the so called gray market. Considerably less in fact... also, the times I bought it previously, I didn't get the cool stemware one gets in the gift box. :)

At the risk of pointing out the painfully obvious skourtis, not everyplace is Oregon. Yes, in Oregon that sounds like a considerable hunk of change, but out here in the wasteland, $14 a pop (if we throw out the glassware) for a beer the caliber of Westy 12... hell, there'll probably be a stampede at the door to buy them.

Anyway, to answer your original question, yes I'll buy some, and I hope to hell I can do it in PDX, so I can save a few bucks on the sales tax.

Out here in the wasteland we already pay that much for certain bottles of mikkeler, evil twin and Stillwater. So I suspect the price tag you quoted won't shock anyone out this way. I doubt anyone will even bat an eye.
  12. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

The crazy thing pack only costs ~25 euro if you buy it at the brewery. I realize that there are distribution costs but having an MSRP that's almost 3x the regular price seems crazy (and in some states they are selling it for +$100).

But supposedly almost 100% of the proceeds go back to the monastery, so I guess it makes sense that the MSRP is so close to the wholesale price.

And yes, despite the crazy price I would buy one if I could. I was going to give my bro some of my personal stash for Christmas, but this way I could give him a full set for himself. Unfortunately, I found out that I have to travel for work on the 12th and won't get back until Friday. So I'm expecting there's almost no chance any of these will be left in the store by then.
  13. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

Seeing that Rochefort 10 is way better (and much cheaper // easier to get a hold of) I will pass. Have had Westy 10-15 times and it has lost its appeal. Now Rochefort 10 on the other hand....

1. Drink Rochefort 10 all day.
    2. ??????
    3. Profit.
  14. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'm inclined to split one with a couple people. I've had it before, mail order and at the source, but wouldn't mind a couple bottles to age.
    ellswrth likes this.
  15. What's a checkbook?
    draheim and skourtis like this.
  16. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I won't be driving down to Oregon for this, but I admit I'd be tempted if I could get this locally, despite the price.
    What gets me is the allegation that the abbey/brewery is pushing for the high price tag. If that is true, I guess I just don't want to hear the monks complaining anymore about illegitimate/gray market sales and ridiculous mark-ups of a beer that sells for only a couple bucks or so per bottle at the brewery. They're doing exactly the same thing.
  17. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. But my understanding is that the only reason these bricks are being released is to help fund upgrades to their facilities. Hence, the higher cost.
  18. draheim

That's my understanding as well. So we get the privilege of paying a 1200% markup so they can upgrade their facilities and promptly cease exporting to the U.S. again? I'd rather just see them charge a little bit more for every case sold at the brewery; apparently they're not pricing their beer at a level that can sustain general upkeep. And by underpricing, they're contributing to the very black/gray market they decry.

FWIW, here are the prices at the brewery (24-bottle cases):
    Blond: €30 ($23)
    8: €34 ($26)
    12: €39 (30)

So if my math is right (always a dubious assertion), you could get these same six bottles at the brewery for a total of roughly $6.60 (if you could buy individual bottles, which of course you can't). I'm not saying that's what the price should be for these bricks, but $85 certainly seems a bit excessive to me.

Sell twice as many and charge $45/brick. That's still a huge markup and you'll still raise as much money for the brewery, without appearing quite so brazenly greedy. You might even have enough that you can sell a little in Washington State.
  19. boMD

I'm not defending the price... But I'm sure the story created around the bricks along with the rarity of the beer will make it sell regardless of $45 or $85 price tags.
  20. Your Euros to dollars exchange rate is backwards me thinks.
  21. draheim

Dammit, I knew something was off. €1 = $1.31. Told you my math sucks. So:
    Blond: €30 ($39.30)
    8: €34 ($44.54)
    12: €39 ($51.09)
    That would put a brick, at brewery prices, at about $14.50. So still a 500% markup.
    And no rare beers for Washington.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  22. I brought back bottles of 8 and 12 last time I was in Belgium so I don't need any, but it's nice for people to get the shot at it here, even if the prices are jacked.
  23. kscaldef

FouFoune is €6 per bottle at the brewery. Just saying.
  24. draheim

Can't get that in Washington either. Unless I'd been in on this tasting anyway.
  25. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Just to be pedantic, you need to add 2.4€/crate of Westvleteren (.10€ deposit/bottle) and another 9.6€ for the deposit of the crate, unless you return it right away.
    Additionally, you can buy mixed 3 packs, 6 packs and bricks, depending on availability, at the brewery. It is not the same price as buying a crate, Bricks went for 24€. I forget the price of the 3 packs (8€?) and 6 packs (12€ or so).

I was overly against the price initially, but taking into account shipping, middle men markups, and the cost of Rochefort 10 being around $7-$8, its not horrible, I sure as hell won't be buying any, but I guess it is not too insane and would make a nice gift.
    Even if it were $100+ it would sell out easily.
  26. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Yes, as much as the price seems ridiculous, we should be happy they are not pricing according to the supply-demand curve. I bet they would have no problem selling this at $150+ in the right markets.
  27. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

The way I look at it, six Cherry Adam from the Wood (at case price) = $75 plus $8/glass at HotD = $91. So, the Westy 12 is a little less expensive (and slighly less in volume), but basically inline with what a whole bunch of us just paid for a local beer. A local beer that wasn't shipped anywhere and with no exchange rate concerns. I didn't think the price was that unreasonable, given the demand. I reserved a gift box at Belmont earlier today. My only frustration - I didn't have enough cash on me so I had to pay $3 to cover credit card fees.
    RedMedicine and digita7693 like this.
  28. You just pointed out something incredibly ridiculous Dale! If a retailer sells a gift box at $84.99 and the buyer pays with a credit card, the retailer loses money! That's absurd!
  29. Its the 2nd best rated beer in the world behind PtY. $14.21 per bottle is well worth the try. I bought 3 gift boxes amd planning on getting 3 more tmw. 3 to sell to friends, 3 to use as trade bait. I dont think this thread is worth bashing the price. People in the NW getting lucky to have an opp to try this beer. Fly to belgium and try it or by a brick. Hmm. Imma sell the sh*t outta this beer
    A-
  30. draheim

That's a fair analogy. Both ostensibly brewery-only beers (although I managed to get a "gray-market" CAftW @ Chuck's here in Seattle, and paid a substantial premium for it), both very limited. But I guess I have to ask, would $75 be a reasonable price for a single 12oz bottle of Cherry Adam shipped to Belgium and distributed via legitimate channels there? Based on a comparable markup of at-brewery prices, that's about what it would go for if HotD did the same thing the Westvleteren brewery/Shelton Bros. are doing.

I'm not saying the answer is yes or no; value is purely in the eye of the beholder. But maybe asking the question helps put things in perspective.
  31. kscaldef

Many European beers are marked up as much, or nearly as much, when they show up here. Cantillon is dirt cheap at the brewery. Fantome is a couple bucks a bottle. Arguably, the take-away is that American breweries setting their prices at the level of European imports are the ones overcharging.
    digita7693 likes this.
  32. draheim

I won't argue with that.
  33. digita7693

This! I know aging beers and barrels etc is expensive, but some of the prices on single 12oz or 22oz bottles are asinine. Especially, when you compare it, as Kevin mentioned, to prices of bottles of Cantillon, Fantome etc...
    Granted capitalism and all that, so if you can produce something for a $1 and sell it for $16, go for it, I guess.

Alternatively, look at Upright, Sole Comp releases for $15, or The Commons, tomorrows releases $11 and $9 for 750ml bottles, much respect to these two breweries; great beer and very fair prices.
    Mahlik, Gobigvt7, Shmeal and 2 others like this.
  34. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

This statement seems a bit disingenuous. You actually have the privilege to pay nothing and get nothing.
    Gobigvt7 and digita7693 like this.
  35. draheim

You forgot "and like it."
  36. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

True. I actually love bitching about beer prices myself. Something about this one just doesn't bother me though.
  37. boMD

To help along this analogy... I have a trade partner in Belgium and he once told me he paid 30 euros for a bottle of regular old Fred.
  38. digita7693

1) that is stupid
    2) Fred is not imported via normal distribution channels, someone likely brought it to the store themselves or traded it/sold it to the store. It is similar to bottles of Pliny or Darkness showing up in Europe, so not quite an apt analogy.
  39. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Absurd, yes, but it seems to be accurate as well. I just received an email from Belmont Station, and they indicated that if you pay with a CC, they're going to tack on an extra $3, just so they don't lose money on CC sales.