1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Westy 12 for sale at Piggly Wiggly in AL

Discussion in 'US - South' started by sommersb, Dec 20, 2012.

1. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

2. Why would it be sad?
  3. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Maybe because this was one of the highest rated, hardest to get beers in the past and it's now being sold at a Piggly Wiggly in Alabama lol. Only guessing at what he meant.
  4. sommersb

Yes, exactly. It doesn't seem right that one of the most sought-after beers in the world is for sale at a Piggly Wiggly
  5. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I just laugh when I hear Piggly Wiggly. Living in the "North", my only Piggly Wiggly memory is from the movie "The Big Green" :D.
  6. freduardo

freduardo Savant (390) Alabama Feb 19, 2007

at least a couple of the piggly wiggly's in birmingham have a really great beer selection. they employ beer buyers that know what they are doing and run really nice beer departments.
    xxcarpxx likes this.
  7. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

a small correction: Westy was sold in *one*, independent (franchised) PQW location in Homewood, Alabama, a store that has a beer and wine buyer whom I would put up against any other beer or wine buyer. Heather busts her butt getting in only the very best, and she deserved the chance to sell this one-off special.
  8. sommersb

Sounds like a legit place to buy some beer then...you can't judge a book by it's cover I suppose!
  9. Thanks for the Love! Hurry up and get your videos to me.... Not much time left:-(
  10. Neither is close to my first choice to buy beer, but I'd much rather give money to the Pig than Total Wine. But then again, the Pigs near me are decent with beer.
  11. Chuggs

Chuggs Zealot (80) North Carolina Sep 29, 2008

Man I wish Piggly Wiggly was still in full operation in NC. Have you tried the Pig Swig?
  12. sommersb

Never heard of it before now, but I just read a little about them. The article I read said they were brewed by Thomas Creek? Nice
  13. I'll stay positive... If you're having a cookout and see it on sale, pick it up... Neighbors won't notice.
  14. Living in Chattanooga, we don't get the chance to obtain things like this, or a lot of the beers that some of the Piggly Wiggly stores have. One of their stores in N.C. has a massive growler station. They are doing well in the craft beer selection, so it's only fair that they get their share.
  15. ***South Carolina