1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wet Hop VS Dry Hop

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by APB, Dec 19, 2012.

1. APB

APB Savant (415) Nebraska Dec 15, 2012

Being a huge fan of Sierra Nevada's Northern and Southern Hemispheres which use wet hops, I'm interesting in hearing what everyone's preference is?
    Wet vs Dry, or is it even worth comparing because those Hemispheres are proof?
  2. The term 'Wet Hop' refers to hops that are used fresh off the vine without being processed. These can only be used during the fall immediately following harvest. The term 'Dry Hop' refers to a method by which hops are added during the fermentation/conditioning phase to enhance aroma and flavor. So if a 'Wet Hop' is added to the fermenter or conditioning tank, it is being used as a 'Dry Hop'.
    Dmbphoenix, DanE, tai4ji2x and 3 others like this.
  3. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

I am sure some will make a case for their favorite, but to me, it is like asking "do you prefer knockout blondes, or knockout brunettes? "

Depends only on two things: 1) what is available and willing?
    2) Please see #1....
  4. APB

APB Savant (415) Nebraska Dec 15, 2012

I understand the difference, I am pursuing an agronomy degree... There are 2 harvest per year(North of equator and South of equator) so I was interested if anyone had a preference of the fresh "wet hop" over the "dry hop", as I personally really enjoy the flavor and aroma from the "wet hop". Also is SN the only company that markets a wet hop beer?
  5. Founders Harvest Ale...wet hops for miles
  6. TypsiYpsi

TypsiYpsi Savant (295) Michigan Jul 27, 2012

There's a good amount of wet hopped beers, my favorite being Founders Harvest Ale. Some breweries will say fresh hopped which is not necessarially the same thing. SN Celebration for example.
    dianimal likes this.
  7. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

Founders Harvest and Three Floyds Broo Doo are a couple additional wet hops that come out in the fall...I imagine there are quite a few. However there are going to be far many more dry hops since that can be done year-round, and the comparison of wet/dry is not one that really comes to mind when drinking them.
  8. koopa

koopa Champion (790) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Wet Hop ales are unique but a bit more 1 dimensional than dry hopped ales imho. This is due to the hexenols present in the wet hops that lend that domineering wet grass quality. If I had to choose one or the other I'd take the latter for variety alone. That doesn't mean that I don't get very excited at the end of each September and beginning of October :)
  9. No, there are quite a few, it is becoming more popular. Founder's, Deschutes, Great Divide, and I am sure that some more do as well. I hear Surly's is off the charts, although SN Northern Hemisphere is pretty much as good as they come though.
  10. At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm going to ask anyway.

Does wet hop and fresh hop mean the same thing?
  11. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

^Someone with the cajones to ask a question and try to learn from the community. I too am not clear on the distinction, but I look forward to someone in this thread clarifying the matter for us.
    Zach136 likes this.
  12. No, they have two totally different connotations. "Dry hop" just means they add hops during or after fermentation, where as 'Wet hop" would mean they would use hops that haven't been dried out for fermentation. So you could actually use a "Wet hop" to "dry hop" your beer. Dry hop is loosely used as a very where as wet hop is used as a noun.
  13. you didn't read the question properly! :p

Yes, wet hop and fresh hop are the same thing. Wet just refers to the hops fresh moisture content.

edit: wet=fresh off the vine, not dried out. fresh= ...fresh. fresh off the vine. two words same meaning. Some brewers just use "fresh" as a marketing ploy I imagine. You're more inclined to buy a "fresh" beer than a "wet" one. That's my take on it anyways.
    BigGene likes this.
  14. Oh snap!
    matthaslaservision likes this.
  15. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

You spelled bine wrong. ;)
    franklinn likes this.
  16. I used to be shouted at by a hop grower for calling a bine a vine! In my defence, I do grow grapes :)

Haven't had a fresh hop beer for perhaps ten years. There were quite a few around at one time;I remember "Fuggles Nouvelle" from the Teme Valley Brewery, they are basically hop growers showcasing their products.Haven't had them lately but they are still brewing. Their website explains this; they are no longer available in cask.They were most enjoyable but to be quite honest I couldn't detect that much difference from a conventionally hopped beer. Perhaps a touch more grassy , perhaps thet was my imagination.
    "THE HOPS NOUVELLE 4.1% ABV
    EARLYBIRD GOLDINGS
    FUGGLES
    NORTHDOWN
    MATHON GOLDINGS
    CHALLENGER
    Our green hop beers. 5 single hop varietal beers brewed during hop harvesting using un-kilned hops. These fresh hops are pitched to the boiling beer within an hour of picking to make more flavour and aroma available to the beer. All 5 are exceptionally pale and feature the hops prominently
    Not available in cask."
  17. StoutLover4life

StoutLover4life Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2012

technically you can dry hop with wet hops...
    jtmartino likes this.
  18. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Uh, no you don't.
    GrizzWranglin and tjensen3618 like this.
  19. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

Sierra Nevada has a slightly different interpretation per the webpage for Celebration.

20. SN Southern Hemisphere Harvest Ale does not use wet hops - they can't get the hops to the US fast enough to use them in that manner. From SN's SHHA's webpage "...featuring fresh hops picked, dried and shipped from New Zealand within seven days of the fields."

That's not what most would call "slightly different" - it's pretty much "the opposite". ;) SN's "fresh hops" are dried, using the same terminology that brewers have for centuries.
    Zach136 and cavedave like this.
  21. Agree here. When I drink Wet Hopped ales it reminds me of a green vegetal/grassy flavor. It's not bad, but I much prefer the glory of dry hopping.
  22. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

I'm not sure you do. The terms are confusing, but wet hop and dry hop are not opposites. Most hops used in beer are processed hops added during the boil, thus being neither wet hops nor can the resulting beer be called "dry hopped". Similarly, wet hops can be added during secondary fermentation, thus making the beer dry hopped with wet hops. They really have nothing to do with each other.

Anyway, to answer your question, a few breweries do make wet hop beers, but not many, because of the timing and cost issues.
  23. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Can never go wrong with a fresh hopped Deschutes Chasin' Freshies bomber if you have access. Pure delight.
  24. There has been discussion on “fresh” vs. “wet”. Maybe one of the previous posts made specific mention but, the only two beers that Sierra Nevada brews with “wet” hops is Northern Hemisphere Harvest and Estate Harvest:

“Northern Hemisphere Harvest ®

The first wet hop Harvest ale. From the fields and into the kettle in less than 24 hours.

Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale is the beer that launched the “wet hop” craze here in America. Brewed with wet hops plucked straight from the fields in Yakima, WA, and into our brew kettles within 24 hours of growing on the vine, Northern Hemisphere does not take shortcuts. Because hops are incredibly perishable, using hops “wet,” or un-dried, preserves all of the precious oils and resins for a unique drinking experience.

Estate® Ale

Our handmade Estate Ale highlights the flavors of home.

From the sun-drenched fields of California’s North Valley comes our Estate Ale. It’s rich with the flavors of the valley—hops with earthy, grapefruit-like flavors and layered spicy aromas, and barley with mild sweetness and smooth, toasted flavors. Enjoy this remarkable homegrown ale, made with organic wet hops and barley grown at our brewery in Chico, and one of the few estate-made ales produced anywhere in the world. Together, these crops grow alongside the brewery to make a truly unique brew.”

Both Southern Hemisphere Harvest and Celebration are brewed with dry “fresh’ hops.

I have never had the Estate Ale but I have had Northern Hemisphere Harvest over the years. I have liked some years version of Northern Hemisphere Harvest better than others. I thought this year’s version was just OK.

Cheers!
  25. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (275) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

I've found that wet/fresh hop beers are just not my thing. It's not that I don't like them, it's just that the flavors seem muddled. BrooDoo was my favorite but ill take any of FFF normal IPA over it in a second. The Hemisphere beers from SN were probably my second favorite.

So I guess answering the question, I'd prefer a dry hopped IPA over a wet hop.
  26. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Wet hop beers usually have a much lighter aroma, and brewers used to not account for that when making wet hop beers (which, in turn, were usually unbalanced and bitter). Lately breweries have been really nailing the balance thing (like Deschutes and Pizza Port are two of my favorites) and now I really look forward to wet hop season.
  27. I think I like dried hops more than wet hops. Though lots of wet hopped beers use dried hops in the boil as an early addition. Sometimes they arent used in the boil at all like this year's Smuttynose wet hop ale or the wet hopped cask of Edward I had a couple years ago.
  28. Another beginner question - I know that generally IPAs are best fresh. Do wet hop or dry hop "deteriorate" faster? I mean, is one more sensitive to freshness? Also, what would you place the respective drinking windows at?

As for fresh hopped beers, I really liked Broo Doo and Founders Harvest. But, I got them pretty much on release.
  29. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I think I like wet hops, although my experience when compared to dry hops is obviously limited. Maybe I just like it because its rarer...who knows
  30. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I prefer the less vegetal quality of dried hops but am happy to drink wet hopped ales as well.
  31. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

The wet hopped beers I've had were quite sensational. The vegetal quality as mentioned gives it a certain savoriness... kinda like soup, if that makes any sense. Very earthy and deep. A nice wet/greenhopped beer can be a thing of beauty.
  32. I like dried hop beers that have been dry hopped.

Wet Hop beers, like others have mentioned, give of vegetal flavors that I'm not a fan of.
  33. EVERYONE PLEASE USE TJENSEN3618'S DISTINCTION. dried hops as the ingredient when in contrast with wet hops, and dry hopped/hopping for the brewing technique.

(that said, i love me some wet hopped ales. the "vegetal" character i think is amplified mostly with certain varieties.)
    jtmartino and zachary80 like this.
  34. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (385) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

to answer an earlier question, nearly every oregon brewery has a fresh/wet hop beer around harvest time. it's the best back-to-back beer season, i love the fresh hop beers followed right by the winter beers.
  35. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (260) Brazil May 27, 2011

And how about those hop extracts? Where do they fit under the wet/dried fresh/not fresh terminology?
  36. Hmm thanks for the info! You could see how that would be very confusing for the drinker though.
  37. Had a nice conversation with the guy at the growler station about wet vs dry hopped beers. Thought it was quote appropriate.
  38. SMDH :( nobody ever listens...
  39. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Surly Wet = best wet hop beer ever.