1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weyerbacher Brewing Co. to announce $1.1 million expansion

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by TheSupremeAJ, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Great news for them. They have been trying more and more stuff lately, and I can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.

Really liked Rapture, but was somewhat underwhelmed by Idiots Drool. Either way, glad to see them trying new things.

2. oreo

oreo Savant (250) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

Maybe they can upgrade their labels before they upgrade their brewery :D

NoLeafClover44 and theo871 like this.
  3. That's awesome news. I like to hear stuff like this about the local brewers. I've generally been underwhelmed by Weyerbacher's stuff, but their Insanity is one of my favorites.

4. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

Yeah i thought Idiots Drool was a BIG mistake, but i love Riserva and Insanity. Hope with the expansion it gives them the flexibility to try new things.

5. oreo

Idiots drool. Oh fuck. It was like they had a bad beer in barrels and decided to keep it going hoping it would get better. DIDNT WORK

6. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

This might be why they just started Aussie distro too.

So good getting all these US beers legit in Australia now

7. siege06nd

siege06nd Advocate (570) Virginia Dec 29, 2009

Hopefully this expansion will generate enough additional revenue that they can refund everyone who purchased Idiot's Drool. Hard to forgive Weyerbacher for willingly pushing its mistake onto its customers like that just to save a few bucks. Brewery lost a lot of cred with me with that release.

8. acurtis

acurtis Champion (865) New Jersey Sep 27, 2010

Haha, If I remember correctly I think Riserva will be the last beer with the old labels.

9. That beeer was hella sick tasty, bro!

mrand01 and oreo like this.
  10. oreo

You know that "hella sick tasty" would mean "good" right?

AleWatcher likes this.
  11. ixodus

ixodus Savant (295) New Jersey Jul 18, 2010

It's great to see that they will be tripling capacity. Loved Riserva, and Rapture, not to mention my favorite from them Insanity. I even enjoyed Idiot's Drool thanks to my man acurtis up there.

Soonami likes this.
  12. Always happy to see good breweries meeting with success. I think I'll order an Insanity the next time it's available to toast Weyerbacher's success.

13. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

Wait, did you hear that?
    I think it was the sound of you losing all your credibility...
    ;) mostly joking.

Soonami and oreo like this.
  14. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Oh, if only this meant lower prices on Double Simcoe. Love that beer to death, but I just can't buy it much because of the price.

Or maybe I just need a higher paying job.

15. Great news(maybe). Weyerbacher makes excellent brew. Gotta love Double Simcoe and Insanity.

16. oreo

Yep. All credibility lost. Not joking. :)

Soonami, AleWatcher and ixodus like this.
  17. Just picked up a couple cases of Insanity!! This year the barrels were "dry" bourbon barrels and not wet, in other words drink it now and it is so smooth the abv will kick you right in the ass!! My buddy is the one working on the project. Thinking of doing a brew pub selling pints and some food!!

18. ixodus

Haha yeah I knew I'd be put on the spot for that one.

oreo likes this.
  19. ixodus

Definitely drinking real smooth fresh this year. I'm still gonna throw some in the cellar for a vert I'm building.

20. They did a KILLER Imperial Raspberry stout a few years back
    Here is to hoping they make it again !!!

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  21. Weyerbacher does some really good stuff. I was there in December and the one dude said something about the expansion. Apparently going to make a bit of a bar area with some light food iirc. I'm excited for this. Hopefully their sours come out more often and maybe for a bit less $. Riserva was solid at the release event and I just picked up a bottle last night, but for $18.75. Economies of scale por favor?

22. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Excited to give the new IPA that's replacing Hops Infusion a try. Hops Infusion is pretty alright, but I think they can do better.

23. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

They currently say they won't make it again. I tried asking on their website forum and got told in no uncertain terms that it is retired. Full stop.

24. I found it in NJ for $14.99 a bottle. Still a bit steep compared to the others but also a class in its own.

25. That's funny since at the brewery it's $17 plus tax so $18. Only reason I didn't get it there is you have to buy a whole case of it or mix and match a whole case. I'll pass on spending that much.

26. The brewery raised their prices to consumers so they didn't lowball their beer/liquor stores. I bought out the place, last remaining 3 bottles at least. Last year it was $12 at the brewery and I saw it for $24.99 at Bourbon Street in Pburg, NJ. So..... Total was $48.14 for 3 bottles. Place in Totowa, NJ accross from Home Depot.

27. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Cool, now maybe they can afford a new font?

28. They already released a new logo and they're doing new packaging rolling out throughout the year. Old news.

29. Don't forget Heresy. That's another pretty solid beer in the Weyerbacher line-up. Bought a 4 pack of Insanity and a bottle of Riserva. Would have liked to have bought more, but my cellars at max, fiance's at wit's end, and the Bruery RS is soaking up all my expendable income. First world problems, yes, I know.

30. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

But I still think the new one is pretty bad, just not as much as the old one.

31. To each his own. I like it. I'm waiting on the packaging, but I do like the new logo and font. At the very least, no more comic sans.

32. ixodus

Ah Heresey another solid beer from Weyerbacher that should be making it's way around in the upcomming months. Here's hoping this expansion will bring about 6 packs of each. Doubt it would happen but it would be awesome!:D

33. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (390) California Mar 13, 2009

Thank god. Now if we can get Russian River to stop using it...

34. Just starting my cellar collection and picked up 6 bottles of Riserva (along with some Tiny and Merry Monks to round out the case) at the release event. Expansion is a good thing. These guys make some excellent beers.

35. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I found it funny that when Weyerbacher released the new logo my issue of Beeradvocate Magazine came in the mail that had an article on logos and branding. Even with the new logo change it still went against everything mentioned in the article. The new one is not clean and easily identifiable. They say that the new font was created just for them but I can't help but see it's influence from the font Algeria which is what Yards and Alaskan use.

36. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I have traded for quite a few things from them and have appreciated them all. However 1 MM should go to new labels.
    Just saying but not trying to beat a dead horse.

Cheers!

37. kexp

kexp Savant (265) North Carolina May 10, 2007

I love Merry Monks. Just wish the price wasn't quite so high.

38. I just picked up a 4-pack of Insanity yesterday. I've heard great things about it and can't wait to try it.

39. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Agree w/ you here.I can drink Hops Infusion if you had it,but I have never really been into that one at all.Glad to see its on the way out and look forward to trying the replacement.

Cheers