1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Weyerbacher Insanity

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by beenitty, Feb 2, 2013.

1. beenitty

beenitty Member

As one of my favorite shelf barleywines, I'm happy to see this one showing up in NJ again.

However, it tastes different. Tastes like a watered down version of its former glory and the artwork seems like a caricature. (all the new weyerbacher artwork is a bit odd)

Not that the artwork is that important, but is anyone tasting a difference?

Good thing I know places with the old insanity...
  2. digdug1810

digdug1810 Member

i don't like the sounds of this.. love insanity but if it tastes watered down.. im not going to be pleased... can anybody else confirm OP's view on the 2013 Insanity?
  3. beenitty

beenitty Member

FWIW I drink alot of insanity. Drinking the new one right now and Im hoping that Im wrong but its not looking good.
  4. nihiloexnihil

nihiloexnihil Member

This is sad if it's true... I've got last year's I've been cellaring, I might have to taste them both to see.
  5. nrs207

nrs207 Member

6. beenitty

beenitty Member

Not sure what the deal is with the brewery being out but it's definitely the new one, cheesy artwork and all.

Having another right now, definite more carbonation and doesn't have that explosion of flavor that made it rock, it's still pretty good but not as good as it used to be
  7. benz08

benz08 Member

Was available to Jersey starting this past monday.
  8. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Member

I think the carbonation is a little more coarse this year than in years past. But just a little bit. The mouthfeel is not watery in my opinion, perhaps the change in effervescence is swaying the OP's judgment.

Also, I pick up on a different set of fruity notes - probably yeast derived esters - but again, this change is small. I just figured that the esters have not yet become faded/integrated due to the beer's youth.

Most importantly, it's still a great beer.
  9. martin123012

martin123012 Member

doing a 3 year vertical tonite will report back
  10. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Member

I like it fresh. I had some bottles of last years recentley and while delicious the glorious bourbon had most defeintly started to fade. I've seen people popping bottles on here(of the new batch) but haven't seen any in stores yet.
  11. tigernipples

tigernipples Member

Think this years seems a little bourbon forward which isn't a bad thing. In a few months should be really awesome.