1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weyerbacher riserva, ripoff?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by RollTide7, Apr 6, 2013.

1. In general I am a fan of weyerbacher, I really like merry monks and their double ipa is also really good. I ran across riserva in my local shop and saw the price tag was a whopping $18 for a 750ml. I was thinking about trying it, but having never had it I was very hesitant to spend 18 bucks on basically 2 beers. Seemed ridiculously overpriced and my shop is quite fair usually with prices. Why is riserva so damn expensive and is it even worth it? Thought it was weird considering most of their beers are in the $10-$12 a four/six pack range.
  2. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

Bout par for the course for cork-n-cage barrel aged sour beers.
  3. BARFLYB

BARFLYB Advocate (605) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2007

If it was a 750ML Lost Abbey sour beer, it would run at least $30. I don't find Riserva to be all that expensive for what it is. The quality of riserva changes from year to year and I have not yet had this years version yet. Split it with a friend and shop around, I've found it in Jersey for $14. Cheers!
    Centennial likes this.
  4. sideshowe

sideshowe Savant (365) Pennsylvania Jun 20, 2008

I take it you haven't delved into the world of sour beers yet ;)
    nickscatena and Centennial like this.
  5. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Savant (260) New Jersey Feb 22, 2012

This year's riserva is AWESOME! Well worth the 18 bucks. The beer spends like a year in a barrel which equals higher prices. But as someone said above if it was a Lost Abbey or Russian River beer it would have been 15-20 bucks for a 375ml.
  6. i havent had but its $19 near me in northern nj. ive heard its very good but im not that into sours so im passing.
  7. 21$ at the beer store in southampton..picked up two
    Reck likes this.
  8. haha yea not too much, had a duchessse which i liked, habve a monks flemish sour in the frige right now...its all about baby steps my friend. just dont want to pay a lot for somethin i may not like when i can load up on a few 6ers of NN or a few iipas
  9. Found them this year for $15.99, and this years batch is outstanding. Well worth the price, in my opinion.
    Greenplastic615 and DaGrizz like this.
  10. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Savant (260) New Jersey Feb 22, 2012

Agreed! Not a vineragy as 2010 a different animal completely. Good stuff on both instances. I loved 2010 for the crazy vinegar taste. But I could drink the 2012 all day and not care!
  11. I loved the 2010 too, but this is just so well balanced. Whatever they did this time around they should keep doing.
  12. I just opened mine, which I got for $18.99, and am adding another 'outstanding' vote. I am very impressed, and will happily spend the bucks again to get some more- well worth it.
  13. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) Florida Feb 15, 2013

I snagged a bottle of 2012 @ Wine Library today for $18.99. Stoked to try it.
  14. Just drank a '12 tonight and I'd put it in the realm of really good fruit tart beers, very tart up front not much on the back end, but compared to '10 that was a fantastic wild ale.
  15. Its wonderful beer and 750's in this style - you are going to spend every bit of $15+ on up. Ive never seen a sour worth having in large format under that price.
  16. is the new label the 2012? anyway, picked one up the other day for 16.99, haven't cracked into it yet but probably will within the next few weeks, wish i would have picked up the 2011 (last year of the old label?) too, but didn't thinking it would sit forever which it did, but now seems to be gone? Anybody in SJ seen the old version places, it's got to be out there somewhere.
  17. There was probably a half dozen 2011s at Canal's Hainesport about a month ago.
  18. Yep, I believe the "new" one is 2012.
  19. I passed at $18. My money tree died.

Enjoy
    ThoreauLikeAGirl and ufmj like this.
  20. fiedler84

fiedler84 Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 23, 2011

Bought a case at the brewery for $17-18/each after trying some there. Don't regret it one bit. Drank one the other night. Fantastic and worth every penny.
    joshwars likes this.
  21. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Welcome to sour land /expensive land
    joshwars likes this.
  22. How is 09 drinking? Found 3 at a local shop.
    farnold likes this.
  23. Agree with a few comments above - the 2012 is excellent and by far my favorite vintage to date.