1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Whale Hunters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoptualBrew, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Call me Ishmael...

2. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I'm not particularly asking for personal opinions on the issue as much as I am for similar observations. I agree to each their own. I don't get it, but they are not me & I am not them.. I get that. Anyone else seeing obsessive compulsive-like & elitist qualities like this in those who consistently "hunt whales"? That was the purpose of my topic.

3. Thread over. The OP is right. Whale hunting and ticking definitely becomes addictive fast if you have that "gotta catch 'em all" mentality (myself included). His analogy with "seeking out a rush" is pretty on point. It's not that the hunters/tickers don't enjoy the beer, it's that they enjoy it so much that they can't wait for their next big score.

krl2112 likes this.
  4. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Sounds like you should leave the interspace and run for Congress.

szmnnl99, sliverX and lurchingbeast like this.
  5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Only looking for opinions that agree with you.

No fault in that logic.

6. I don't hunt whales, but when I come across one I will slay (read: tick) that son of a bitch.

7. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

We're mostly men on this site, men love the thrill of the chase and the blood of the hunted.

8. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I like Whales
    I like Firestone Walker Pale 31

Cheers!

9. to each their own, but i figure like weight,,, whales are for "watchers"!

i chase the hell outta' walruses though!!

[​IMG]

KevSal, Schwantz and cavedave like this.
  10. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I just like the thrill of the hunt.

11. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

boomgothedynamite

12. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Save the er.. Chumley's...Tennesee Tuxedo will not fail!

flexabull and fujindemon74 like this.
  13. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I don't need a whale list to tell me what a whale is, my whales are beers I have tried that I love, and now cannot get without effort.

We are all creatures that desire pleasure, and the better the pleasure the more the desire. There are those who derive the greatest pleasure from knowing they own something that few others can or do. To me this doesn't make their pleasure less valid than mine, just different.

I think there are also those who feel the need to categorize others negatively, even those others whose attitudes and actions don't have any deleterious impact. Is it possible, OP, that your complaint is more about you being this sort than about how others seem to act?

14. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

"No"

and,

"I think you need new friends"

They would be the purposes of my reply earlier.

15. oppositsies, had some whalez and became unaddicted. beer sucks.

match1112 and fujindemon74 like this.
  16. That may be true, but I know many whale hunting associates who, when I offer them a Heavy Seas Winter Storm act like I handed them a bottle of rhino vomit! I have tried a few "whales" and for the most part, I find the tasty but definately over-hyped!

17. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Well, I'd happily drink the Winter Storm! But if I got to choose between that and say.... a Black Tuesday, I think you know what my decision would be.

18. Rare beers aren't always good, and snobs in any field can fuck off. No one likes snobs.

But a blanket statement saying that these "Whale Hunters" cant enjoy an everyday beer is just silly.

Zach136 likes this.
  19. Well then fuck those ungrateful guys, don't offer them anything. More for you.

Zach136 and GeddyLeeRocks like this.
  20. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (565) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

I've probably hunted as many whales as anyone. I probably also drink more Daisy Cutter than anyone else on the planet. Who says you can't have it both ways?

21. The only beer that I actively went after, was Heady Topper, and I was really underwhelmed. After that I didn't care to search out things. If I get my hands on it, great, if not, I'm not going to scour the interwebs to find it.

mikeburd1128 and GeddyLeeRocks like this.
  22. As a music loving audiophile, I have to take issue with this analogy. If you love music, why would you not want to hear what you love as clear as possible? I don't ever turn my nose up to those people who are ok listening to mp3s on their phones...if that makes them happy, that's all that matters. But I listen to a lot of recorded live music and to listen to it on shitty equipment just doesn't do it justice.

gratefulbeerhead and cavedave like this.
  23. davesway10

davesway10 Advocate (500) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

So lets get this right, you are not particularly interested in anyone's opinion per se? You are only interested in weather or not those that agree with your opinion find that those who do not, me, are obsessive compulsive-like & elitist's ? It must be so.

Andygirl, cavedave and Photekut like this.
  24. hoptualBrew

Purpose of starting the topic was to see if this observation was commonplace. That's all.

25. davesway10

Do you have your answer ?

Ahab

Photekut likes this.
  26. hoptualBrew

Kind of. Thanks for your vested interest.

27. I have decent hi-fi gear & love to listen to vinyl & uncompressed digital.
    And I still stand behind what I said.
    I was referring to the gear-heads that will only listen to audiophile quality recordings ,and won't listen to the majority of their music library or available music because it doesn't showcase their equipment.

paulys55 likes this.
  28. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Double thumbs-up.

29. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

As James Bond once said: "there are some things that just aren't done, such as drinking Dom Perignon '53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs"

So what's this audiophile nonsense all about? Is beer out of improper glassware somehow equivalent to listing to your favorite jazz album pushed by a solid state amp rather than a tube amp?

I do love the glow of those tubes though.

paulys55 likes this.
  30. davesway10

Funny response, please explain my "vested interest". If you are referring to my assertion that others be allowed to have the freedom to do conduct themselves in a manner that is in their best interests and furthers their lifestyles and that ultimately causes no harm to others without fear of being labeled "obsessive compulsive-like & elitist" then yes. I'm vested, 100%. We all have our own opinions and they are often vastly different and we have forums such as these where we can voice those opinions. However, Labeling someone as "obsessive compulsive-like & elitist" because they have an opinion that differs from your own, well, Isn't that sort of obsessive compulsive-like & elitist ?

31. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Sometimes I go to a bar with the intention of banging a fat chick. Do I qualify as one as well?

32. As do I...now I need to go fire up my Cary V-12...with a whale.

33. To quote "THE HARDEST WORKING MAN IN SHOW BIZ!!!!!!" , I think it time to "SIMMER DOWN, NOW!":)

34. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

"Ahhh the classic "calm down man, lollercoaster".

You guys who can't deal with well thought out argument crack me up.

35. No, I quite agree with the logic and sound reasoning of davesway10's post. I'm just at the point of violating my own rules (see the Posting While Intoxicated thread) and I always let a little James Brown soul come out of my drunk white ass while trying to be funny! :)

36. hoptualBrew

From the feedback, I feel my observations are not abnormal. Thanks for the responses y'all, cheers!

37. Well, similar observation here we go. I actually met an elitist at the last beer tasting I went to, and I tried to talk to him as little as possible because he was the most discriminatory person there that night. If I were still like that guy, I don't think I would have as many friends to drink beer with.

I have felt great joy in finally owning really rare beer, and I have literally enjoyed them just as much as some beers that I can get seasonally. I always share them with friends, most of my friends don't know as much about beer as a few of my friends, but we have a great time in the moment. I'm young, turning 25 this month, and I've learned that it is very important to engage in the simple interests of those who have given their friendship and contributions to my well being, regardless of whether they seem stupid or arrogant sometimes.

38. A collector of G.I. Joe figures and later sports cards (and now beer) - you sound just like me! I have a number of hobbies but the thing that I love most about craft beer is the community that I have met through it, along with the constant "thrill of the hunt."

39. I was at a christmas party and a dude there worked for some indie record label. He found out I listened to the people he worked with, and then he wanted to "talk music." The funny thing was we didn't really "talk music." He just name dropped while I tried to calm him down and actually talk. The best part was when I came out and said Passion Pit sucked live, and he got all bent out of shape because he was the one that discovered them and signed them.

Point being, nobody likes a snob. And, in my opinion, those who look down at people for being "snobs" are perhaps also snobs for thinking their way of doing things is the right way. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm just gonna live and let live... Cheers.