1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are "Double" beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hopscrazy, Oct 5, 2013.

1. I usually tell people it just means "souped up". More alcohol, more punch, more robust, bigger, bolder, etc.

2. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

not just American

3. dedbeer

dedbeer Savant (345) Illinois Jun 23, 2013

This

4. mntlover

mntlover Advocate (510) Tennessee Jun 30, 2003

Means it cost twice as much lol.

5. TheJermis

TheJermis Savant (300) Missouri Dec 20, 2005

I'm glad you dig Double-Wide, but interestingly enough, it came a couple years before Single-Wide.

6. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Learn something new every day!

Dope

7. I hope not from bitter experience. Back in my early homebrewing days when I made beer from kits I thought that using two kits would produce something better.The whole balance was wrong and it was dreadful.

ChuckHardslab and azorie like this.
  8. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Really? huh learn sumpin new every day!

9. This is what is technically known as "complete rubbish". The evidence is that an Imperial Stout, or a Russian Stout, or an Imperial Russian Stout, was simply a stronger version of an ordinary stout. Courage IRS, in its last years of broduction at the Anchor brewery by Tower Bridge, was parti-gyled with the weaker Velvet Stout: same recipe, different strengths.

10. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (370) Texas Jan 25, 2012

One for each hand?

DelMontiac likes this.
  11. That's because I squared = 1. So it wouldn't make any sense. "1PA." Math dorks should get that...

WTKeene likes this.
  12. Double Beers are the single beer I reach for in two different places when I've had too much to drink.

Roguer likes this.
  13. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

"Technically" it is not "complete rubbish". While I will concede that original versions of RIS were, in fact, larger versions of dry stouts, almost all I can think of now have a different recipe, since parti-gyle brewing is no longer common. That said, roast malts, black malts, dark specialty malts (and hops, for that matter) tend to not add when you step up a recipe; they are closer to multipliers. If anyone has ever stepped up a home brewed recipe or pilot brewed recipe to production strength, often tweaks have to be made. So the first runnings of a parti-gyle stout canbe disproportionately bitter and burnt compared to the second runnings.

I have brewed lots of beer, lots of stout, and lots of parti-gyle. Parti-gyle does not, in my experience, tend to be linear in its flavor profile, most especially with assertive beers.

But to reiterate, I totally agree with you that the original Imperial Stouts would likely have been the first runnings of stout breweries. I just don't agree that they would have tasted identically like a stronger version of a dry stout.