1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

NH Pilgrim's Dole wheatwine is probably the most recent one I can remember where it was so boozy and syrupy that I just couldn't finish the bottle. First time I had Olde School Barleywine, fresh, it was a bit difficult as well, altho I was a barleywine n00b back then.

Edit: weird seeing all the Double Bastard posts. I found it incredibly drinkable.
    fox227 and AmitC like this.
  2. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Yeah, DB is a beer I can drink any day in any mood.
    AmitC likes this.
  3. Tactical Nuclear Penguin is absolutely brutal. I absolutely love big beers, but, obviously at 32% ABV it's gigantic. It is almost all burn...
  4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Had a Lost Abbey Angel's Share (Bourbon Barrel) from the bottle that was a real struggle to get down. It was totally flat - I think carbonation would have made the thicky syrupy boozy sweetness a lot more palatable.
  5. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Agreed. better with age.
  6. Mikkeller Black...was not a fan.
  7. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Ghost Face Killah by the end of the bottle. My first sip left me with a feeling of "Wow what a unique beer!" my last sip was a "Thank god that's over" feeling
  8. Brewdog Tokio tasted toxic. It brought back memories from the 80's playing with that plastic bubble toy.

[​IMG]
    Frozenmoses likes this.
  9. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

One of the worst beers I have consumed.
  10. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Double down on that. First tasted 2011 the week it came out alongside a '10. The later had chilled out a bit. Storing 2 more '11's for at least a year...hopefully I don't have to breath fire after each one
  11. BCross

BCross Savant (275) Washington Nov 20, 2011

Deshutes BB XXII. I happened to be at the Portland store the day they were going to have a special tasting during a block party. I was bugging the waitress for Abyss (mind you it was the middle of July). She brought me a sampler of XXII without telling me what it was. She later told me that it was XXII and that it probably wouldnt be released. Not good
  12. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

[​IMG]
    Like a glass of vodka.
  13. Lips of Faith Super Cru for me. Harsh in every sense of the word.
    FarmerTed likes this.
  14. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Two years ago, when my palate was not as refined, SN Torpedo was harsh to drink. Now its just a good IPA to me. Interesting how one's taste can adjust.
  15. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

When I think about my experiences with Double Bastard, I'd have to say that fresh 2011 Double Bastard was much more drinkable than 2010 was, but will still benefit from age. 2010 NEEDED age. It has higher ABV and is and quite good now, but it was harsh when it was fresh (A lot of Stones big beers were harsher than usual during that time period of about 6 months - remember last years Old Guardian? That was nothing like previous vintages I've had.) I bought a half case of fresh 2010 DB in CO and even sprung for a 3L for aging. Then Texas finally started receiving bottles of 2010 in the spring of 2011. Didn't buy any because I was already sitting on several bottles including the 3L. But I will probably try to pick up some more 2011 before it disappears.

2009 DB was excellent fresh. Texas only received kegs because of the word "masturbatory" used on the label. I had a couple glasses at Flying Saucer in Ft Worth, TX. I did have a bottle of 2009 during travel but not until spring of 2010, and it had been stored at room temps. It tasted quite oxidized, but still drinkable.

2007 was excellent in bottles. Had one in Avon, CO in January 2008. That was my first Double Bastard. It was pretty damn good.
  16. 1) Founders Devil Dancer. Punch-you-in-the-face harsh.
    2) Black Hole peat whiskey aged edition. My favorite scotch whiskies are Islays, it's not that I don't like peaty scotch. This kind of whiskey barrel just doesn't work for aging stouts if you ask me. Black Hole in the cognac barrel was delicious.
    and of course...

Cave Creek Chile Beer.
  17. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

A perfect example of how subjective this is.

I have loved every iteration of that beer.

Cheers!
  18. I'm with you with the Mikeller Black Hole and not just the peat. I've had about 3 bal versions of this mess. They all tasted like boozy ashtray and top soil juice.
  19. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (220) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

AGREE!!!
  20. surly 5 not really harsh just not a good wild
  21. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (475) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

Avery Samael and Aventinus Eisbock are the first two that came to mind from the first time I tried them but I have grown to love both!
  22. the correct answer is experimental raspberry. It's like distilled battery acid.
  23. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Came here to post Cave Creek. WTF is that. Two sips and a drain pour.
  24. Beejay

Beejay Savant (495) Virginia Dec 29, 2008

My harshest beers have been from Atwater. Everyone of their beers I have tried seemed to be better for cleaning the drain in my sink rather than human consumption.
  25. Double Bastard is one of my favs. Intense but, awesome!
    CommanderOfAwesome likes this.
  26. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i love founders but this beer is just out of control. i've tried aging it and it just gets more syrupy and sweet with a never-ending alcoholic burn.
    Rimbimhoot likes this.
  27. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (440) Michigan Nov 3, 2007

Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner seemed to burn my tongue. It's intense!
  28. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Either 120 Minute or Mephistopheles
  29. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Poppaskull...an overly spicy, cloying mess IMO...there are other's, but that one came to mind right away
  30. infi

infi Savant (455) New York Apr 4, 2009

Fairly fresh Victory Storm King. Was obnoxiously way too boozy for me. Three sips and my sink finished the rest.
    hardy008 likes this.
  31. 2012 Bigfoot by far for me. My girlfriend loves it though. *shrugs*
    FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  32. Worldwide Stout, I pray several more years may help, but at this point it is painful to drink.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  33. Unfortunately true. I don't know anyone here in Scotland/The UK who holds their beers in high regard.
  34. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

The Idiot was a bit syrupy and boozy but that's par for the barley wine course I thought, cheers!
    cjoc83 likes this.
  35. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

For me, generally alcohol doesn't put me off as much as bitter hops, but there's no rhyme or reason some I love and some I hate and middle of the road doesn't warrant a repurchase in a crowded retail landscape. As for harsh, I found Blue Moon to be harsh from the smell to the taste and everything in between really soured me on the style though I find Hoegaarden and Great Lakes Holy Moses to be far better examples. While I'm thinkin' of GL, their Burning River is aptly named, I find it harsh and though I keep trying can't finish a one and no one I know can stomach the bastards left laying around from the 12 pack mixers. Balance isn't too bad but very bitter, hard to swallow, and hard to stomach in a word, YUCK! BTW kudos on Sam Adams Imperial Series, though not harsh, very hot of the 2 I've had Double Bock and Wee Heavy are boozy and heavy. Nice to see Sam showing they can still ratchet up their styles...
  36. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

2010 Double Bastard was indeed brutal fresh. Age mellowed its rough edges by nine moths in my opinion. Other characteristics will develop with further aging, but it is possible that you will never like it.
  37. A 2007 DFH Raison d'Extra was just a mess for me. Booze and overpowering dark fruits made it taste like nail polish remover.

And SN Bigfoot 2012 was the first time I've had Bigfoot. Not bad, but just a little hot to me. I'll try it again in 6 months and in a year and see how it goes.
  38. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

1. 2008 DFH Fort - probably the worst made made food/drink I've ever tried.
    2. 2011 DFH Olde School
    3. Fresh Samael's.....what a dumpster fire! I hope age does it's thing on this.