1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Saranac's Imperial Stout was pretty bad. Anyone else remember that scene in The Simpsons where Barney drinks beer from an ash tray? Yeah, pretty much that.

Other than that, Smuttynose's Gravitation is delicious, but man does that thing get rough once it warms. Very boozy and "hot".
  2. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

For me, the most intense punch in the face so far has been from Moylaners Hopsickle. Intensely bitter and hoppy fresh. I still drank tons of it though, as sometimes I need my ass kicked from a beer.

Palettes changing really is an amazing thing. I used to steer away from brews over 8% and incredibly hoppy beers, now I have to search for the alcohol notes in some high-ABV and differentiate hop qualities.
    bushycook likes this.
  3. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

For those talking of Innis & Gunn, I found their Rum Cask Oak Aged beer to be bland. Never tried their other stuff.
  4. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

Two from recent memory -

Avery Czar RIS- fresh this beer could strip your floors.
    Stone Vertical Epic 11.11.11 - instant heartburn.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

No mention of Hopsickle?
  6. Thanks for that. Makes me wish I would have held on to it longer. I did find the whole thing a bity baffling since I love virtually everything Stone makes.
  7. Orchids

Orchids Aficionado (210) Illinois Feb 7, 2010

FFF Brandy Barrel Aged Alpha Klaus
  8. Hands22

Hands22 Aficionado (240) Florida Oct 14, 2011

We passed around a Ghost Face Killah at a recent group brew and it was absolutely brutal. Harshest beer that comes to my mind was DFH Forte. I have no problems with 120 min and WWS and I love all their other beers but that one really didn't work for me.
  9. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

10. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

DFH 120 and WWS, plus I read on the Interwebs that they were overrated too!
    checktherhyme likes this.
  11. Cantillon '07 Kriek. Still enjoyed it though
  12. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

There are couple for me:
    Avery Samael's Ale was very oaky and scratchy to me
    DFH 120 was boozy
    Bristol's Winter Warlock XXX needed about 5 years on it to calm down
  13. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

2012 SN Bigfoot- On tap with no age (does anyone know if SN ages it before bottling?). Hops fly in so many directions and bite your tongue in a wacky way. The booze even showed a bit. Bet it will be AWESOME with age.

Fresh DFH 120- 18% ABV- like hop schnapps. I like it, but the heat is certainly harsh. Currently aging one of these, and a worldwide stout, which I've not tried. NEEDS mellowing.

New Holland Night Tripper (RIS)- smells and tastes like permanent marker.
  14. i had a 2009 samiclaus about a month ago and it was hard to get through
  15. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

just about every barely wine out there.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  16. BDEE

BDEE Aficionado (125) Wisconsin Feb 11, 2012

A tie for me, both have been mentioned:
    SA Triple Bock; drainpour.
    DFH Raison d'Extra; drainpour. And I had like 5 more bottles to go. Thank god my wife loves that crap.
  17. The one beer that recked me was Beer Geek Breakfast Weasel. Capped the night with this one and still regretting it.
  18. atone315

atone315 Advocate (650) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

Mikkeller Black Hole, all variations....and then Mikkeller Black. wOw.
  19. Flat earth northwest passage
  20. Duchesse comes to mind. Just so much balsamic vinegar. I love sours but could not get into those sweet and acidic flavors.
  21. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (565) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Agree. I had to drainpour this one. Also the DFH Old School Barleywine and Mad Elf were just too harsh. Several of the Flying Dogs are harsh to my recollection (Snake Bite/Tire Bite etc...)
  22. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

Not that it was the fault of the brewer, but I had a SN Bigfoot served too cold, such that it was so harshly bitter it was almost undrinkable.

I remember Brooklyn Black Ops being really hot as well.
  23. I disliked Pumking quite alot. Tasted exactly like Thai food to me. And I don't like (liquid) Thai food.
  24. Absolut

Absolut Savant (395) California Sep 19, 2011

Mephistopheles' Stout
    ouch.
  25. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

I'd like to try one with a little more age on it. It would probably help mellow the harshness quite a bit. This was a bit harsh to me at first, but I tolerated it a little more once I worked my way through the four pack. It's still easily the weakest of their Imperial Series.
  26. Brooklyn Local 1, I bought it in Delaware on vacation. I hated it. It had a strong alcohol tatse and I don't think I could finish the 750 ml bootle.
  27. I thought of a second one which may be the worst I've had. This taught me that even a good brewery can brew something your tastebuds reject. It SN Ruthless Rye IPA. I don't think I could even smell one of those beers without getting sick. It's a good beer I know, just not for me.
  28. beergod1

beergod1 Savant (410) Ohio May 2, 2009

LOVE me some Hoppin Frog...but the Hop Damn triple was toooo much. It's good in "Small" amounts, and never have it as one of your first beers of the night at a beer festival. It will blow out your Tongue. I think it's worse than Devil Dancer....IMHO.
  29. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Deschutes Abyss was the harshest beer I ever tasted anywhere, anytime. People said that year's beer was infected, but this bottle had no hint of infection. Instead it had metallic overtones with subtle hints of excessive molasses and other equally unpleasant flavors.
  30. Old school malt liquor was pretty harsh. Some of the newer stuff isn't so bad.
    Over cooked, high gravity beer with a shitload of hops and fermented with too high of a temperature is a fine recipe for nasty, harsh beer that only a true pirate of the high seas could enjoy.
  31. bourbon barrel aged Santas Little Helper and Avery Beast were pretty painful for me.
  32. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Lenny's Bittersweet RIPA was very harsh for what I was expecting. A 10% IIPA is not uncommon but this one was much harsher than others previous. I struggled to finish the bottle...alcohol not hidden well at all
  33. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Ninja Vs Unicorn destroyed my mouth in ways I cannot explain. Harshest by far IMO
  34. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

drakes denogginizer hit my taste buds hard and i fell asleep, in the middle of the day, like 10 minutes after drinking it
  35. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (360) California Mar 20, 2011

I bought a handful of Sucabas. I drank two and they were great. The third one I drank had a rubbing alcohol taste to it. Probably just something strange going on with my palate that day, but it was definitely unpleasant.
  36. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (705) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Lenny's RIPA. UGH. You can have mine for free.
  37. rawfish

rawfish Savant (355) California Dec 9, 2010

North Coast Brother Thelonious, metal trash can aged solvent soaked raisin banana bread. The horror.