1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

1. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

St. Ambroise RIS, way too intense for me.

2. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Since I've made this thread, I haven't had too many "harsh" beers. Although I did find The Vermonster to be a tad difficult to finish.

3. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (540) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Avery Uncle Jacobs was harsh in a good way.

DFH 120 Minute (fresh) was harsh in a bad (bad) way.

Cvescalante and dachshunddude86 like this.
  4. I actually really liked Adam, not as much as Fred though, which was a surprise because I love old ales and don't usually dig the strong goldens. My entries for harshness are as follows:

Orkney Skullsplitter (8.5%) was a gross hot mess. Drainpour.
    The Bruery White Oak (11.5%) was a huge disappointment since The Bruery are one of my top 5 breweries and I usually like wheatwines. Tasted like drinking champagne laced with an oz. of vodka.
    Sam Adams Griffin's Bow (11.5%) No surprise there. Wouldn't have even drank it if it wasn't free.

5. Derranged

I actually really liked Adam, not as much as Fred though, which was a surprise because I love old ales and don't usually dig the strong goldens. My entries for harshness are as follows:

Orkney Skullsplitter (8.5%) was a gross hot mess. Drainpour.
    The Bruery White Oak (11.5%) was a huge disappointment since The Bruery are one of my top 5 breweries and I usually like wheatwines. Tasted like drinking champagne laced with an oz. of vodka.
    Sam Adams Griffin's Bow (11.5%) No surprise there. Wouldn't have even drank it if it wasn't free.[/quote]

As I mentioned I think I may have had a bad bottle. I don't think beer is supposed to make you sweat. :eek:

6. 1000 IBU Ultramate is another one - brutally bitter and for the extreme hophead only.

danieelol and arintheelder like this.
  7. dfhhead25

dfhhead25 Savant (410) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2011

Mikkeller Black was very difficult for me to get through.

8. DFH world wide stout. i think it comes in at 18% alcohol and it was not enjoyable. prob shouldve aged it for a loooong time. super boozey mess

9. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

All of the mentions for Avery are unsurprising, but I disagree. Mephistopheles, Czar, Samael's? Give me all of them! Amazing brews.

The harshest beer I've had was Pumking. Tore my stomach to shreds.

TheBrewViking and Jaru1026 like this.
  10. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I can't dig the Blithering Idiot but Insanity is amazing.
    I must be crazy for liking this...

11. Give Sami a second go. I have a 2005 3L that I would love to split with you and a small army because it would change your mind. Splendid with some time on it.

BedetheVenerable and slm100 like this.
  12. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

At first I thought Spaten Optimator was way too malty and boozy, but I got used to it soon enough and love it now.

acelin likes this.
  13. I will probably be asked to change my screenname and/or publicly flogged for saying this but fresh Bigfoot is pretty damn abrasive to me.

14. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Definitely a harsh beer. Boozy, and it tastes like grapefruit peelings mixed with burnt coffee.

15. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

The Avery Demon Series, Samael's , Beast, and Mephistopheles

devlishdamsel likes this.
  16. Found Bell's Expedition Stout to be way too harsh, especially next to a lot of standard imperial stouts on the shelf.

17. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Mikkeller Black
    Evil Twin Even More Jesus

18. emyers

emyers Savant (255) Illinois Jan 11, 2009

Age it a couple years and then bask in its glory.

DevilsCups likes this.
  19. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

Natty Ice. Harsh going down and squirting out the next morning.

20. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (370) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

I find Regular Bastard extremely harsh to drink. Double bastard is much smoother.

thepartybird likes this.
  21. Second this. Applause for the gruesome, all too familiar imagery :(

22. I only got a single. :p But yeah, if any RIS needs aging to come out of its shell, this is it.

DevilsCups likes this.
  23. JoRado

JoRado Savant (275) Minnesota Oct 26, 2010

My barrel aged Imperial IPA homebrew. Worst mistake I ever made in homebrewing, was putting that IIPA into a whiskey barrel...

24. Derranged

Trick is to drink AB a few days past its best by date. Fresher the hops are a bit much for me.

25. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

I agree

26. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

I redact my last post, Mikkeller's Scotch Whiskey BA Black Hole was almost painful to finish.

davey101 likes this.
  27. tshaw

tshaw Aspirant (25) Mar 20, 2012

twisted pine's ghostface killah. brewed with jalapenos, habaneros, serrano & the ghost pepper, its fierce. tastes like a beer when it hits your tongue, then like carbonated hot sauce as MaxSpang said

28. DFH World Wide Stout

29. Hello. I still have an issue with Bell's Batch 9000. I'm very patient and hope for it to smooth out a bit. Still have 4 cases, so a have more than a few years for its time to shine. Thanks.

30. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Anchor Christmas 2012 was pretty harsh to me.

supermodified and RochefortChris like this.
  31. Agree on the Vermonster, but St. Ambroise RIS is harsh in the absolute best of ways!

32. Samiclaus and Scaldis Noel come to mind. Hoptimum is another because I'm a lightweight when it comes to extremly hopped beers. Also bourbon barrel aged Siberian Nights because well....I don't like bourbon.

33. and i thought i had something special with my 2007...

barleywinefiend likes this.
  34. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Old Raspy
    All of Sam Adams Imperial brews
    SN Narwhal
    Shipyards barleywine, Imperial Porter & XXXX IPA

35. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

BT '12. In all fairness we had just finished a tasting of all of the Bourbon County variants, but still, there is no way I could have gotten through a 6oz. pour.

36. Arrogant Bastard, Lukcy Basartd, Double Bastard

37. Rogue Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale- campfire taste in my mouth, first ever drain pour.

Gouden Carolus Noel- liquid licorice, gross.

38. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Dfh olde school was harsh to say the least!

39. Metastpholes by avery( too much molasses to my liking), arrogant bastard by stone, the pickly pear widmer put out. I also keep hearing bad things about the voodoo donut beer rogue put out( i usually will try any beer but I am too terrified to try it).

40. Gose beers, can't do it