1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

1. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Probably not THE harshest I've ever had but the one that was the biggest disappointment given the 90+ BA rating.
  2. Jewbelation Sweet 16. Like drinking an anaconda made of beer. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty intense.
    YogiBeer and jmgrub like this.
  3. This. Picked one up because I enjoyed the cognac version. Such a tough one
    davey101 likes this.
  4. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Most beers are harsh in a good way. BBA Santas Helper was harsh in the bad way.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  5. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Peat bomb for sure, and I like scotch!!! What a wild series. Red wine was amazing in my book, and scotch was a drain pour...bleh!
  6. Arrogant bastard felt heavier than the ABV suggested in my opinion. But the overall harshest thing I have ever had would have to be Steel Reserve. And I don't mean it to be harsh as in boozy, I mean the horrendous sweaty sock and aluminum flavor melded with it's stinging carbonation was unbearable.
    luwak likes this.
  7. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Deschutes' Little Buddha, on tap at the Stone Sour Fest in 2009. Pine-scented nail polish remover thinned out with vinegar. A vengeful and punishing brew, and still perhaps the single worst beer I've ever tasted. If you ever run across this monster, kill it with fire.
    luwak likes this.
  8. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Voodoo doughnut was like having a doughnut out of an old dirty ashtray. Triple drain pour for me and my two buddies. There is a reason the bottle is pepto Bismal pink.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  9. Jayeblue24

Jayeblue24 Aficionado (190) Idaho Apr 11, 2012

SN Bigfoot ale (barelywine)
    JKAllen likes this.
  10. ditka311

ditka311 Aficionado (160) Illinois Aug 22, 2009

Voodoo Donut and NG Enigma. Can't stand sours. It was like drinking vinegar. I know, I will probably get banned for that but oh well.
  11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

[​IMG]
    It's like corn... cider... with a burning sensation going down. I can drink any hard liquor without flinching, but this one... harsh.
    MasterSki likes this.
  12. Harshest for me was Route Des Épices. One of my least pleasant beer drinking experiences
  13. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (275) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

I thought SN Hoptimum was way overdone. I love a hop bomb as much as the next guy but that was too much.
  14. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Dark Lord (/run out of the room).
    YogiBeer likes this.
  15. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Pink Killer
    DH Scotty Karate
    Terrapin Reunion '12
    Rogue VDMB
    Stone/Troegs Cherry Chocolate Stout
  16. huysmans

huysmans Savant (330) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

Firestone Walker XV was not smooth at all fresh. I am sorry I did not let it sit for a while. I should have had it this December, not last. Or perhaps even next!
  17. Tony412

Tony412 Savant (255) Michigan Jan 26, 2012

I recently opened an 08 and it was still a big boozy mess, should have waited another year or two I guess.
  18. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I guess the 2008 DFH 120min that I had (in November 2010) was a bit harsh as well. Nothing unmanageable though.
  19. I love boozy beers if the booze is contributing to the flavor, but to me harsh is when a beer is hot going down (and thus kills, or mutes, the other flavors in the beer). Fresh Stone RIS and Oak Aged Yeti were probably two of the harshes beers Ive had. I also found BCBS to be very harsh/hot, and it was a 2011 with almost a year on it. Maybe it was just my palate that day or something, but it made me really question the hype of BCBS.
  20. Devildog0802

Devildog0802 Initiate (20) Dec 21, 2012

Sierra Nevada Big Foot. A bunch of DIPA's.
  21. Not really an example per se, but FW Double Jack came across like it was 13% instead of 9.5%.
  22. mbasti

mbasti Disciple (50) Germany Jun 20, 2011

Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait (2006 vintage I believe) - couldn't finish it..
    Mort Subite geuze served lukewarm - so sour!
  23. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Tactical Nuclear Penguin
    YogiBeer and Lare453 like this.
  24. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I wish I could like ths post three times!

Even worse than the penguin is sink the Bismarck. Omg
  25. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

Mikleller Black. Or should I say Blecch.
    Dope likes this.
  26. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

New Holland Blue Sunday #16
  27. White oak hands down. That shit is undrinkable. Pure ethanol.
  28. KYzac

KYzac Aficionado (115) Kentucky Jun 27, 2009

I have had no trouble with dfh wws at 18%, but dfh olde school was brutal even with a year on it.
  29. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

Ghostface Killah was harsh in a really unique way. As far as harsh for the booziness, Avery's The Beast was super harsh and boozy when I had it from the bottle, but then when I had it on tap, it still had a lot of alcohol taste, but was much smoother.
  30. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Had a three year old one... Extra awesome, totally worth the wait.
  31. JKAllen

JKAllen Aficionado (125) Sep 8, 2012

Icehouse ... or was that a given?
  32. buschbeer

buschbeer Advocate (535) Ohio Feb 7, 2009

I tried this a week and a half ago. The peppers faded, but it was still hot. I would have probably not liked this fresh.
    [​IMG]
    MasterSki likes this.
  33. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Oh yes. The high ABV Mikkeller brews are horrifying. Just had a Black Buffalo the other night, it was hard to drink. The aftertaste was basically pure grain alcohol. I believe it clocks in at 19.3%. Big Worst might have been even....worse.

Dope
  34. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (285) Colorado May 31, 2011

God, I forgot how awful that shit was.
    YogiBeer likes this.
  35. Tiger, Singapore. It tasted like it had already run its course through the kidneys. Horrible, horrible beer.
    Momar42 likes this.
  36. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Adam was hard to drink?
    i drink one almost every month.. i think its pretty smooth. maybe your was somehow "irregular"
  37. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Adam was hard to drink?
    i drink one almost every month.. i think its pretty smooth. Maybe your was somehow "irregular"

As for me a can recall a lot of things seeming harsh when i first tried them long ago. As my palate seems to have adapted, many of these don't bother me at all now (Samiclaus doppelbock, Stone Double Bastard, almost any beer aged in Rye Whiskey barrels...)

But since I've been drinking a lot i'd say the harshest think i can recall is:

Ice Axe by Glacier Brewhouse
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/377/71037

Had it during a session of amazing beers in Talkeetna, Alaska and this one was offered as "one to give to people who are beers geeks" .... or something....

Holy vinegar and alcohol! It reminded me of some teen-aged kids mix composed of a few ounces of everything in his parents' liquor cabinet (including cheap chianti) designed so they wouldn't notice a small amount missing of each (the way they would a whole absent bottle) and without regard to any other characteristic, topped off with some Shiner blonde. Yikes!

And because I was a good customer or something (or cause it was Talkeetna in the summer and everybody is drunk, high, and crazy 24/7...or cause they like to torture tourists (who doesn't?)) they poured me a 22OZ GLASS!!! I felt obliged to finish it but it was like some fratboy hazing event.

Wierd... i had one of these in 2010 and i count it among my best drinking experiences ever. I felt it was super sweet not harsh at all...and it reminded of a carbonated liqueur and was dangerously easy to drink. We joked it was a classicpantypeeler...
    Of course i also seriously liked SA Imperial White and NB Lips of faith Super Cru AND Mikkeller Black...so we know my shit is derranged...
  38. [​IMG]

I almost threw up after just one sip.
    (I stole the picture)
  39. macster

macster Savant (310) Florida Dec 16, 2003

Def agree on the DFH Old School. Have aged them for a couple of years and STILL find them boozy and harsh. Brooklyn Monster very similar.
  40. This BCBCS I'm drinking is harsh in an awesome way.