1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Creme Brulee almost made me cry. I really wanted to like it, then I opened the bottle and the smell made me puke in my mouth a little bit.
  2. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

I'm surprised at some of the tamer beers mentioned here. The one I want to talk about is Dark Horse Dragonfruit Lambeak, served 2 weeks ago at the 4elf party. It was straight solvent, not fit for consumption.
  3. HarmonMW

HarmonMW Savant (425) Missouri Feb 11, 2012

Founders Bolt Cutter and DFH 120 minute. Doesn't mean they weren't good though...
  4. 120 Min
    Fresh 2009 BCBS (Love BCBS BTW with 2+ years age)
  5. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Brew Dog Bitch Please and CW BB barleywine.
  6. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

That may get my vote too haha ;) also struggled with beer geek bacon when I was first getting into craft. I'll have to revisit that one soon!
  7. bstave

bstave Aficionado (210) Washington Aug 21, 2008

This thread cracks me up. Most of these beers, i.e. Bigfoot and Arrogant Bastard will be some of these BAs favorite beers in a year as palettes change.
    fox227 and BrewStew58 like this.
  8. lic217

lic217 Savant (430) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Long trail ale out of a can. A great beer from the bottle, but the cans I got were atrocious (not sure if it was just the ones I got). Tasted sweet and sour in a chemical way. I am so cheap I forced my self to stomach down 12 of them (not while eating). It was one of my greatest achievements this year.
  9. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

Last weekend, a friend and I split a bottle of Double Bastard. At he advice of the store worker, we opted for the year old 2011 brew. It would be cool to taste them back to back, but what I had was a pretty easy drinking beer. It was high in alcohol with lots of flavor, absolutely, but it didn't hit "harsh" or "hard to drink" at all.

I know I'm replying to an old post, but it's still relevant.
  10. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

I'll second bud light.. I started off craft beer. Even when I was younger I was a brew snob for the simple fact your everyday bud light simply reminded me of chilled piss lmao. Anyway, about 3 years ago my then girlfriend(now wife) ordered some sort of mixed drink at dinner and it came with a small glass of beer to chase. A few sips of my fine bourbon in(I believe it was Blanton's single barrel done neat with a splash of good water) I thought, "hell yeah! Sierra Nevada pale ale", so I took a big gulp... You talk about harsh. Man alive what a shock! It just ruined everything. My dinner was crap afterwards, and needless to say I couldn't even get those nice notes I drink Kentucky bourbon to get. It was and still is crap. The lighting of the place through it way off and It looked to be the SN pale ale as they did have it on tap at the time.
  11. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Another harsh brew for me the first time I had it was Rogue's Juniper Pale ale. Damn, do I love hops and pale ales, and man did this beer look incredible in color sitting in my mug. But there was something about that day and that beer that made me wish I never poured it. It wasn't the abv bc it's low and I am used to be beers regularly. And it's not rogue bc they have 4 or 5 brews right off the top of my head that I love. Including the yellow snow job and to think someone told me this brew was yellow snows brother(very similar). But that one day for whatever reason juniper pale ale couldn't be downed. We have this American pitbull terrier who loves a chilled glass of ale from time to time, so thankfully some life form was able to down it. However I've had juniper a few other times since and it was an above average brew(3.5ish), but there was something about that first time that screamed awful and harsh lol.
  12. supermodified

supermodified Aficionado (220) Ohio Nov 28, 2012

Stone RIS was way too harsh for me. Disappointing, because I truly thought I would like it. Bell's Java Stout is bitter coffee on bitter beer (although I find the same coffee element works well in Dark Horse Perkulator Coffee Doppelbock.)

Southern Tier Unearthly and Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale are a boozy bludgeoning of a majority of your senses. (I have discovered that consuming Unearthly and Double Dog Pale Ale in rapid succession leads to an abrupt cessation of activity.)
  13. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Even after a year, this beer is still extremely "harsh".
  14. As far as Arrogant bastard goes, I tried it 10 years ago. Then again two years ago and yet again this year. While I agree that Palates do change, there are and always will be differences and variances among individuals. Your sense of smell is highly connected to your sense of taste and overall palate. I have an overly sensitive sense of smell and taste and am a non smoker. Unless my taste buds get eradicated, I think it highly unlikely, that I will ever like arrogant bastard.
    bstave likes this.
  15. arintheelder

arintheelder Zealot (75) California Nov 14, 2008

Even for the extreme hophead, it's brutal. Palate genocide.
  16. 1997 Sam Adams Triple Bock. Pure, concentrated evil in a bottle.
  17. SStein

SStein Savant (350) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

Ghost Face Killah was probably the harshest beer I have ever tried. It could have been an NA beer and still been near the top of my list.
  18. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

By far the harshest beer was the first Old Guardian I had a number of years back. It was as if something or someone had ripped by throat out.
  19. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

1999 Budweiser...served at roughly the temperature of urine...straight out of the can...at Woodstock '99...yeah...
  20. How has this thread made it 6 pages with not 1 mention of Rogue's Old Crustacean? I have never had nail polish remover but I think I now know what it tastes like.
  21. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Double bastard was little beyond me. Very good, but a mean beer. Gonna lay a few down for a year or so
  22. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Dogfish Head Fort was the harshest beer I've ever tasted.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  23. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

Or...they will just have mellowed out in a year.

And for the record, I am a avid Bigfoot fan, even fresh.
  24. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

This....

[​IMG]
    The most putrid, foul beverage to ever grace these lips...​
  25. slm100

slm100 Disciple (70) Dec 11, 2012

Agreed. The more it ages the better it is :)
  26. Most recently it was something from He'Brew...the name escapes me. I found it to be a harshly sweet and too aggressive. It wasn't Lenny's, but since I find Lenny's to also suffer from the same faults, I won't go anywhere near He'Brew anymore.

Also, Jacobin's Rouge. Something about the sourness in that one seemed too much for my threshold and it gave me heart burn. I know Jacobins is highly regarded, it's just that sour stuff is a rocky road for me. I like some, I can't handle others... and I can't get a sense of where the line is drawn in my personal tastes which makes buying them difficult since I can't tell if something is out of comfort zone and I don't want to dump the $$$ on it...
  27. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Port's 4th anniversary DIPA. Tasted like straight up solvent. Hot, syrupy, hoppy mess.
  28. I remember Newport Storm 2003 as being thick and almost undrinkable. Grolsch Kanon was a 9% malt liquor bomb. Some of the German Berlinner Weiss seem to burn my stomach with the acid.
  29. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Stone's Old Guardian. Hasn't been a good one made since 2009. Sad, I used to love this beer. Now it's paint thinner. Frankly, Double Bastard hasn't been very good in a few years - although 2012 is quite a bit better than 2010 (which was, by far, the harshest). A year or more aging doesn't improved the 2010+ batches much either.
  30. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

It's funny to me how many mentions DB is getting, especially considering that the 2010, fresh, was one of the first 'big beers' I ever had, back when I was very new to the craft scene. I had a pour at the brewery, and then took a bottle home. Of course it made me VERY fuzzy due to my inexperience, but I thought that the beer was very tasty - intense, but not at all unpalatable. I very recently had the 2010 again, and I prefer the fresh in this case.
  31. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I guess I would have to put in a vote for Stone's Belgo Old Guardian. The yeast bomb made the beer a bit of a mess. This was one of the only times I felt a beer really wasn't worth drinking. I love Stone 99% of the time, though.
  32. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I've been aging mine since this is a common opinion. I hope some cellar time helps cool them down some.
  33. Momar42

I've most of the large SE Asian "lagers" and they are mostly all horrid. I'm guessing an already crappy product doesn't do well when it's hot/cold/hot/cold...that is if its ever cold to begin with.
    Mediczod likes this.
  34. Momar42

I wouldn't call it harsh, but damned it doesn't put you in a diabetic coma. My hats off to anyone that can crush a whole bomber by themselves.
  35. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Be sure to report back in a couple decades with your results ;)

Dope
    Momar42 likes this.
  36. Mother Funker...like drinking vinegar. Took the enamel off my teeth.
  37. In no particular order...

Avery 'The Beast' Grand Cru fresh on tap (loved it w/several years in the bottle, however)
    Fresh Great Divide Oak-aged Yeti
    J.W. Lees Lagavulin Cask (I love barleywines, and I love single-malt, but damn son...)
  38. Had my last 2006 last night (after sadly gifting one more away)...blew. my. mind.
  39. Literally instant hiccups for me. Definitely a harsh beer.
  40. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Belzebuth. It's absolute garbage.