1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are some of the harshest beers you've had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Derranged, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I listed that in my first post. I wouldn't call it garbage, while I was actually able to tolerate it, it was still tough to drink. Then again, the first time it was I believe over a month past its best by date, the second time was right around its best by date. I imagine it would have been worse when fresh?

2. DenverBigRed

DenverBigRed Savant (265) Colorado Jul 29, 2006

Couldn't agree more. Triple Bock was horrid.

3. Brown Sugga fresh was pretty hot.

4. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

Evil Twin Yang.

5. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

Stone *fill in the blank*

6. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

mikkeller black hole was pretty astringent.

7. If you think innis and gunn beers are harsh, you haven drank enough beer imo

8. Devil dancer . Hard to drink and over the top

9. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Abyss 2009. It tasted metallic(copper maybe), harshly alcoholic, and cloyingly sweet, all at the same time. It took me over 2 hours to choke it down and I still have one in the fridge.

10. Archimedes

Archimedes Aficionado (165) Kansas Feb 18, 2012

Boulevard - Love Child and Rogue - Chipotle Ale. The last one was not so much harsh as just "why".

11. Short's Bludgeon Yr Eye is aptly named (still tasty though)

12. If craft beers are served 32-34 degrees, most will taste hot or the flavor profile will be missing. I see a lot of lovable beers on this list. But then again different strokes different folks.

13. Bruery's 5 Golden Rings was one of the harshest i've had, but I really liked it. I think I just really like big, boozy beers lol.

14. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Buckbean Original Orange Blossom Ale: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16851/43490

Thank god this brew is retired... I felt like I was drinking a bottle of orange scented perfume! God damn gross! So so glad its retired, damn... Although I finished the entire 16 oz can, I never drain pour a beer I buy, just pinch the nose and pour it down the mouth hole. Painful though, painful... Yuk! This was about three years ago and I will never forget.

15. Luckily for you, they went out of business.

16. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Awwww, I don't wish for any business to go out of business, I've only had one brew from them that happened to not be of my taste... What was the reason for their loss of business?

17. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (410) Texas Dec 11, 2006

Quelque Chose warmed up as directed by the instructions on the bottle, I did my best to drink it down but was forced to pour it down the drain.