1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are the best Bruery bottles that are sold in stores?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BoldRulerVT, Aug 28, 2014.

1. BoldRulerVT

BoldRulerVT Savant (355) Vermont Oct 2, 2013

I don't know why I haven't been drinking more Bruery beers, but I'm totally into them at the moment. Having seen that many of their bottles are released only to Reserve Club members, I'm wondering what the best beers they make are that we could purchase in stores (for the rest of us).

Thoughts?

2. If you like sours you can't go wrong with Sour in the Rye, Tart of Darkness or Oude Tart

Aldogg007, Geuzedad, M_chav and 16 others like this.
  3. White chocolate, Bois, Fruet and Smoking Wood are all quite tasty

bozodogbreath and BoldRulerVT like this.
  4. wrw5031

wrw5031 Savant (285) Georgia Dec 21, 2011

Hottenroth Berliner Weiss is probably the best Bruery beer for price/oz. I think it's in the range of $9-10 for a 750.

5. VaTechPhilly

VaTechPhilly Savant (320) New York Oct 28, 2010

Sour in the Rye is my favorite

6. Another vote for Sour in the Rye.

7. dental

dental Savant (355) Massachusetts Apr 2, 2014

co-sign for sour in the rye

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  8. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

For sours Sour in the Rye is the best IMO
    For a BA beer 2013 bourbon Bois was really good wish I could have bought more than one but even with how good it was the price was just too much. Again IMO

KhakCane and BoldRulerVT like this.
  9. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Savant (460) Illinois Jun 14, 2013

Really loved smoking wood when I had it last week

BoldRulerVT, Shroud0fdoom and ShaneP like this.
  10. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I will not make any claims about the following beer being the best, but my favorite is Autumn Maple. I simply love that beer.

11. Reueze, sour in the rye, oude tart, hottenrath, tart of darkness to name a few shelf beers around the way

BoldRulerVT and Doomcifer like this.
  12. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Savant (275) Pennsylvania Mar 15, 2014

Sour in the rye and tradewinds for me. Both are just excellent

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  13. Well what do you like? Do you like Belgians? Tradewinds Tripel is excellent. I wish Orchard White wasn't retired because that's phenomenal as well. Mischief is also solid. If you like Saisons, I highly recommend Saison Rue, especially if you're a fan of Brett. If you like Saisons but not Brett so much, Saison de Lente is great. Do you like sours, particularly Flanders reds? Oude Tart is an excellent take on the style. Do you like rye? Grab a Rugbrod. Do you like rye and sour? Sour in the Rye is great. Do you like rye and smoke? Smoking Wood is aged on rye barrels and, although I'm not a big fan of smoky beers, was one of the best smoked beers I've ever had. I haven't had Rueuze in a bottle but I've had it on-tap and it was really good albeit not totally true to style IMO. The only Bruery beers I don't like so much are Autumn Maple (it was OK but nothing special, as yams aren't really a great beer ingredient IMO), White Oak (on-tap it's all right but in the bottle it's acrid and boozy), Tart of Darkness (I just don't think roasty and sour flavors go together. Once again just my opinion) and Hottenroth (too much of that vomit-like taste and smell from the wild yeast).

14. work at a pretty historic and well-known bottle shop and the most bruery bombers i see leaving the shelves in the last few months are hottenroth, sucre, and saison rue.

BoldRulerVT and Gatorwalt like this.
  15. Rueuze and Sour in the rye for bottles. Lokal red is available. Humulus Lager is great to find on tap.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  16. Mischief is a great, easy to drink, Belgian-style golden strong ale. You can grab it at your local Trader Joe's for ~$8 a bomber.

Mongrel, BoldRulerVT and ShaneP like this.
  17. Glad i saw this thread. ive yet to drink a beer from the bruery but i see them all the time. I guess i just never knew what one to pick. now i do!

-xICooRsYIx

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  18. impending

impending Advocate (645) California Mar 12, 2010

Sucre is on shelves now

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Aficionado (140) Colorado Jan 26, 2013

I think Saison Rue should get some love. Its a well made traditional Saison. Would add Mischief which is a personal fav of mine and easy to find. Another below the radar one is the Rugbrod which is great, especially with food. These are in the year round lineup.

On the specials I have always enjoyed the Autumn Maple. It's just a nice beer. The other two that I would mention are Smoking Wood (any version) and Oude Tart.

I've been in the Bruery Society Club for a few years and still these more readily available options are in my favs.

JigsawRecords likes this.
  20. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Oude Tart for me.

21. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (430) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

The Anniversary series is on shelves every year. They are quite good.

SteveD082791 and GeorgiaBeerGuy like this.
  22. Am I alone in saying White Oak?

SteveD082791 likes this.
  23. Huge fan of the Oude Tart... not a fan of the price tag. Mischief is a nice go-to. I am looking to try Tart of Darkness next.

24. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (645) Florida Feb 16, 2012

Sour in the Rye
    Smoking Wood
    Bois/Sucre

And people may disagree but I loooooved Saison de Lente

Geuzedad and BoldRulerVT like this.
  25. Angst

Angst Aficionado (195) California Nov 8, 2007

Was at the Bruery when they had SITR w/pineapple & coconut. It was Delicious!!!

26. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

The Bruery aside from having a stupid name is quite solid. I think the ten dollar beers don't get enough play. If you see a beer under 10 you won't be disappointed. As well in my opinion all the sours priced around 20 are a reasonable deal if your in to that sort of thing.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  27. I feel like Autumn Maple is underrated. It's a solid, totally tasty beer that's perfect for a hearty autumn meal.

JonB25 and BoldRulerVT like this.
  28. Just had a Tart of Darkness (awesome) and there's a Sour in the Rye on deck in the cellar. TOD is probably my favorite.

29. The only thing by Bruery is Reueze. I was turned off enough by buying a $25 bottle of vinegar that I haven't gone back. Admittedly I'm not very experienced with sours, but I can't be alone thinking that thing was bad. It tasted exactly like apple cider vinegar.

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but if I feel this way, should I try other Bruery sours. Am I just not getting it, or do others agree that Reueze isn't very good?

I've only tried 10 or so sours, and I've only really liked one a lot. A few were kind of tasty and I could maybe see them growing on me, and more than half were practically undrinkable. I assume a lot of the ones I tried were just bad ones, because I tried them at a beer fest and I didn't know anything about the brewers. The one I liked was lineage rye, by trillium. Maybe I should give sour in the rye a shot?

30. dbrese

dbrese Aficionado (180) Vermont Jan 4, 2011

A lot of Bruery sours are on the extreme end of the sour spectrum, with both Oude Tart and Tart of Darkness being very very sour. Sour In The Rye is a perfectly balanced, full bodied and delicious sour that won't strip the enamel from your teeth. I had one last night. It's my favorite beer they make other than Rueuze.

31. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Aficionado (105) Florida Jan 14, 2012

Oude Tart is probably my favorite...but damn those price tags. Would drink more of their stuff if it wasn't $20-$30 a bottle.

Sucre is $35

32. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I was this way for a while. I think you might just need a little more experience with sours. I wouldn't go and drop $20 for a Sour In The Rye because the odds are good that you won't like it. Personally I think it is fantastic. But it took me a while to build up to that. Have you tried New Belgium's La Folie? I used to think it was disgusting, then I went through a phase where I loved it, now I feel like it is still good but falls way lower on my list when it comes to sours. Not saying this will happen to you exactly the same as it did to me, but I feel like you will definitely have some sort of perspective shift after drinking more sours. I'd recommend trying to get a bottle share going so you can try a bunch of sours at once without breaking the bank.

bld81 likes this.
  33. Rueze is an intense sour, but it is fantastic. Sounds like you may want to further explore the world of sours before dismissing the Bruery entirely because I think their sour program is world class.

I try and explain sours to people like this: the first time you ever had a bitter hoppy beer it probably wasn't that enjoyable, but in time you develop a taste for it. Once you do you have a wide spectrum of APAs, IPAs, DIPAs, BIPAs, WIPAs, etc. available to you. Some are intense/extreme, some are less so.

Sours are the same way. Rueze is not malty at all and extremely acidic - think of it as the sour equivalent of a very bitter IPA with a very light color. Not much maltiness to balance out the extreme other flavor.

If you're just getting started with sours I'd recommend exploring the traditional Belgian offerings first, then moving to the more "extreme" American version from places like The Bruery, Russian River, Jolly Pumpkin, etc.

Much like IPAs, Americans have taken a traditional style and pushed it the limits of what it can be.

34. You live in Vermont and presumably have access to all of it's glorious beers. I'm a member of the Bruery Reserve Society and have pretty much their entire catalog sitting in my fridge. PM me what styles you're into and we should setup a trade!

35. If that thing is fantastic, I'm all set with it. It could take the paint off a car. I was sort of thinking someone else might chime in and agree that it's a dud, since it is the only breury sour that seems to sit on shelves around here. I figured it's easy to get because it isn't very good. Guess not.

IPAs are easy to enjoy and not at all an acquired taste for me.

36. halo3one

halo3one Advocate (570) Georgia Jun 6, 2014

Sour in the rye

37. Taste is subjective - one person's dud is another person's cup of tea.

I'm glad you easily enjoy IPAs; I do as well. I was just trying to illustrate my point.

38. sure. I was just trying to judge how a beer I don't like compares to other stuff by the same brewery. I guess that didn't come across.

Your response was a bit condescending. Nobody asked you to explain sours.

39. Was just trying to help man - wasn't trying to be condescending at all - you said you didn't know much about sours. There is a reason why Rueuze tastes the was it does. It tastes exactly as it is intended to.

40. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (595) California Oct 17, 2010

not only are their annavesary beers hte best on hte shelf. they are one of hte best that they make!

Fruet was a standout for me tho