1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some home brewed chocolate stout. Needs a week or so more really but it's damn nice already! How about you fellows?

2. Earl Grey. Hot.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  3. Last night I had a large bottle of Cantillon Iris, which was fantastic, as well as a bottle of Swinging Harry Tropical Quad, the new Cigar City/Mikkeller collaboration. It was fucking horrible.
    That's all for this weekend I think.

4. ah, I was toying with trying that- I won't bother now! What made it horrible, out of interest?

5. It's outrageously, prohibitively sweet, and that's the opinion of someone who likes Bourbon County Vanilla. Imagine an under-attenuated 11% quad that's been blended with Rubicon mango. There you go.

6. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Fuller's Vintage 2000. Let's see if age helps these brews along, never heard too many good things about this.

7. So far, a Hoegaarden, JW Lees Governor and a Budvar dark....

8. Well?

9. Moved on to a Italian beer - Brewfist's Burocracy (an IPA, and the spelling is correct).

Anyone heard of these guys before? They just turned up in my local beer dealership - various brews in imitation of US styles....

10. mostly Leffe Blond, now on a victory prima pils, soon some homebrew. I'll pour an orval clone and a RIS before lights out.

11. KRomBacher dark and stuttgarter haus brau pilsner und to bed.

12. Polished off a Young's Chocolate Stout. Time for some shut-eye....

13. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Brewfist are a great brewery.

There has been a bit of an explosion in the Italian craft brewery scene as of late. If you're interested the best breweries to seek out are Brewfist (which you now know about), especially for 'Spaceman' (double IPA) or 'Fear' (choc stout); Birra del Borgo, for 'My Antonia' (Imperial Pils done with Dogfish Head..v. hoppy pils) or 'Keto Reporter' (porter); San Palo Birrifico for 'Robinia' (a honey beer, if you're into that sort of thing); or if you're feeling brave go for Troll 'Shangrilla' (barleywine).

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  14. Coffee. Black. Americano.
    Six days and going strong.

paxton1978 likes this.
  15. good on ya, Zimbo. I'm having a slight hiatus, but that's mainly because I drank a skin-full on Thursday. I'll probably pick it up again when the wife heads off to France for a long weekend this week!

16. You're on your own?

Party at Paxton's!

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  17. MordeciaFunk

I too second my support Zimbo.

I once tried to go a month without booze. About 20 days in my boss called me into her office and said 'You have a choice. You can start drinking again and stop being a jerk, or you can leave.' When I explained to her that I was being sponsored and if I didn't last the month there would be a severe financial penalty, she said she would shout drinks at the bar for my friends to the value of my financial penalty. What a woman.

18. Local beer fests aplenty and Aye is on a diet :( . Still i'll be able to get nearer the bar once i've lost the beergut :)

19. Nice woman but kind of a sad story.

20. Couple of pints of St Austell Tribute with my pub lunch-lovely stuff as good as it gets.A good reliable get anywhere beer.Walked over to the village carnival and found to my surprise a beer tent with cask ale on gravity. Nothing earth shaking but the Hobgoblin went down remarkably well and I had a great afternoon in that rarest of recent commodities-summer sunshine.
    I'm dismayed to see all the talk about bottled beer in this forum. Don't you guys get out?

21. We can't all spend half our lives in the pub.

22. Only half?

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  23. I'd like to hit the pub more, but my finances are stretched due to funding my wife's way through a second round of Uni. Priorities and all that! :) Back on track- I might crack open a can of Old Chub later to celebrate finishing some ruddy DIY.

24. Great story, great boss. Sounds like she could be related to my wife.
    Just gotta make it to August 3rd. Hard when you have a home bursting with great beer. Got so bad earlier tonight I had a a good gander at it all, handled quite a few and made a list of all I had. Feckin pathetic.

25. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Would have to agree.

26. Why? (Not meant in an aggressive way.)

27. Because his friend only likes him when he's boozed up. Seems kind of alcoholism inducing.

28. Well if we can't afford half we certainly couldn't afford more :p

29. Right.

30. I just assumed Mordecai's boss was being sarcsastic but ultimately kind to him by providing a bit of beer relief. Presuming of course that she knew of his beer love.

I'm in no way missing the alcohol but I am missing the taste, smell and feel. Twenty days won't be a problem either way for me.

31. MordeciaFunk

Fair point. It was more because I was being a bit tetchy to those under me. Working in pubs you learn to associate fun with drinks. I didn't think I was strong enough to spend time with friends and not drink. Working all 20 of those days in a row didn't help either. I am better for the experience though.

32. MordeciaFunk

And as I was typing you've explained it better then me. Thank you Mr Zimbo

33. MordeciaFunk

On topic Big Eye IPA. Sorry for the 3 posts in a row. My phone can only handle so many letters typed.

34. Well this is just me, but i'd be upset if people said I was only nice to be around when I was drinking. I guess must be weird like that though.

35. Actually, I can see your point exactly. What it shows is that you have a healthy viewpoint on alcohol and how you like to be seen by others. Nothing weird about that at all.
    BTW, how's the dig going this summer? I understand its been relatively warm down Somerset but raining like just about everywhere else in the UK.

36. Cider. Perry. Fuller's London Porter. Fuller's 1845. Fuller's Golden Pride. Adnams Winter and Summer IPAs.

But I could murder a glass of gin. Gin cupboard is bare. Sack the gin buyer. He's a monumental arse.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  37. Not starting until mid august old bean. Your kind comment is much appreciated too! :)

38. I have a beer made with pale malt, wheat and mussels. As in the seafood. The weird thing is it's really nice. A sharp twang in the taste when cold from the fridge but as it warms up it becomes incredibley smooth and drinkable.

39. Whole mussels, shells or both? Like an oyster stout?

40. Sounds mmmm. Who makes it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.