1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have found some Einstok - Icelandic beer, I got white beer, pale ale and toasted porter
    Yay! I no longer have the dullest beer on here lmao
    Ruds and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  2. OK, so I've knocked off a Steinlager and a Wychwood Blonde. So far, so meh.

Now I'm on Arbor Ale's 2012 (Double Black IPA) - fuck me the malt is bitter! This is what sucking on ground coffee beans might taste like - it's got a raw intensity, but it's a bit too much. Brewed to celebrate the 2012 Olympics (after a rumour that the brewery would do a 2012 IBU beer)....
    Ruds likes this.
  3. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (455) Germany Jul 31, 2011

Last night another (well refrigerated) Schlenkerla Märzen followed by a Paulaner Salvator. I know it's available year-round, but I normally only see the Salvator during the Lent/Starkbier season, so I was surprised to see it sitting on the shelf of my local grocery store. Picked up two bottles and am looking forward to having the second one tonight!
  4. An enjoyable evening at the village cricket, where Spondon smeared the 'legends' of Derby County all around the ground in a charity T20 bash and I drank a fair amount of Stella. In big bottles. So it's not just Punk that's sold in 66cl.

Though I am drinking that now, cooking moules and frying frites. Tilquin and 3 Fonteinen may come out to play soon.
  5. Landlord down the local has a few of those Sharps conniseur beers in.
    Had the Quad and the Tripel from bottle - both 10% jobs.
    Not going to beat the Belgians at their own game but decent enough - especially the tripel.
    Can't argue down the pub at £4 per bottle!
  6. I too had a pretty civilized evening though after the BBQ ended there was a mysterious trio of Carlsberg Export taking up space in the fridge. Grrrr. Its not Stella, is it?
    Me, I've been drinking Young's London Gold and a fist full of Torpedo. Still gotta get to those Alesmith bombers and misc Kernel beers (especially the Double SCCANS) into me sometime so.
  7. Oude Gueuze Tilquin. That is all.
  8. I still haven't decided if the young's gold is light and breezy or insubstantial.

Revising the Tesco finest beer range.
  9. Think I'm leaning towards 'light and breezy' there Bevis.
  10. I lied. Now on 3 Fonteinen Oude Kriek. If I'm going to shit through the eye of a needle later on, I may as well enjoy myself now.
  11. Hot at lunchtime so slipped into the Red Lion at Cromer for some Adnam's Southwold Bitter then back to the beach. In the evening a stroll to the White Horse in Overstrand where there was Winter's Brewery Golden. Not normally a fan of golden ales, this one was excellent with a good malt backbone.
  12. So far I've had the legendary Westy 12. I'd seen loads of rave reviews on Youtube and fell for the hype. It was okay.

Others include:
    *Brakspear Triple (one of my favourites)
    *Thornbridge Jaipur
    *Martson's Oyster Stout
    *Cantillon Saint Lamvinus (WORST BEER I'VE EVER HAD!)
    *Rochefort 10
    *St Bernardus 12
    *Chimay blue label
    *Hoegaarden Verboden Vrucht
    *Brewdog Punk IPA
    *Adnams Broadside (not my cup of tea)

And loads more.
    Zimbo likes this.
  13. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Just to throw it out there: Rochefort 10 >>>> Westvleteren 12.
  14. Nice denno .

Just had a sample of st andrew's ipa at the local farmer's market . Almost felt like I was ticking .
  15. On the clifftop at Cromer. There's a minii beer festival , just had 2 pints of Elgoods Black Dog. Love my milds :)
  16. Robinson's dizzy blonde, their single hop variety brew using Amarillo.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I bought a couple of bottles of Oxfordshire Triple B for US$3.25 each. A pretty tasty Bitter if I do say so myself.
  18. Just about to pull a bomber of AleSmith IPA out of the fridge. Awl Right!
  19. Tipopils (A-Mazing) followed by Brewfist Spaceman (Really good, but not knock-your-socks-off) (both from GBBF) now onto a big Punk.
  20. I loved Westvleteren 12 and I loved Pannepot.
    Rochefort 10 and St Bernardus 12 I found pretty much undrinkable.

Tonight has been Spelt Lager and Farmers Ales IPA with a curry. Lovely jubbly.
  21. I'm trying the Russian river/Sierra Nevada collaboration "Brux"
  22. Lots of Stella whilst watching Derbyshire v South Africa. Some Summer Wine keg afterwards. A bottle of Shiraz being drained slowly in between burgers and salted caramel cheesecake.

And FWIW: Rochefort 10 owns Westvleteren 12. Westvleteren 6 owns any other Belgian blonde. But only when you're in the garden of In de Vrede and blagging ice cream off dumb tourists.
    Zimbo likes this.
  23. word. I never understand the rep that the 12 gets over the 6, apart from the fact that it doesn't travel as well internationally. Oh wait, I get it now.

24. Will have to respectfully disagree you on the 10 vs 12 front (they're both good either way) but Westvleteren Blonde/6 really is the one. In my experience the Westvleteren beers are just too raw when fresh and really do benefit with about a year in the bottle. And the one year transformation is just awe inspiring.
  25. Oh go on then.
    Giving Wincle''s Sir Philip a chance to redeem itself, even though it takes me over 4 units lol.
  26. Curiosity had driven me to Thwaite's Wainwright, could someone therefore give me a lift home?
  27. A large amount of vodka in a small glass. With what I can only describe as fuck-off huge ice cubes
  28. Now on Greene King export IPA. Still shit. Don't know what i was thinking.
    Hoppsbabo likes this.
  29. Well I paid 89p for my bottle so I could hazard a guess.

I want some slightly better than slightly better than average before bed

So I am going to give this Einstok Icelandic Pale a go.
  30. drinking a narragansett at the moment,,,,,,,before that 2 la chouffe clone homebrews and one more homebrew with no real name..........
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  31. Einstok pale so good going to try the porter.
  32. I was hitting the St Bernardus 12 yesterday. That's my idea of heaven.
  33. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

The 6 (blonde) is the base beer that all other Westies are derived from. 8 and 12 are basically boiled/reduced versions of 6 with added E150 (caramel colouring). Though I know that makes it sound distinctly less romantic, that's pretty much how all somewhat large-scale brewing in Belgium goes at the moment. So far for the craftsman image of short little fat monks trotting about and stirring in huge oak barrels with oversized spoons. The brewers and supervising monks are all very open about the process to visitors.

The reduction in dry-mass from the boil would explain the raw alcohol taste in fresher Westy 8/12. I've found that when I reduce beer (as I do the occasional Eisbock experiment), the alcohol always tastes raw and sharp. Had plenty of purpose-brewed stronger beers that didn't have anywhere near that amount of alcohol twang.
    jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  34. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (455) Germany Jul 31, 2011

For my two cents the 12 is better than the 10, and I agree 100% with Zimbo re: the age. I was lucky enough to get a Brick Pack when they went on sale in Belgium and the first one I had was overwhelmingly alcoholic to me. I left it in my apartment's basement storage spot and had one many months later when a friend visited and it was great. And it may be the best smelling beer I've ever had. Still, all things considered I think I'd take an Orval over all of them.
  35. Just scored a harviestoun wild hop from sainsbos . Haven't drunk it yet though.
  36. Yes i'd definitely say Orval uber alles.
  37. I remember seeing Scoops, as pleased as punch, embracing an Orval (in the appropriate Orval goblet I might add) last weekend and it was like he was in his own little universe of enlightenment. Me, its hard to say which is my favourite Trappist brew as its one things where I tend to be quite inclusive.
    ReluctantScoop likes this.
  38. Interesting post Dennoman.
  39. Lining up a range of British delights for dinner and the Olympic closing ceremony at 9pm. It'll be sad to see it go. Don't think anything's united Great Britiain like it since The Battle of Britain. And I mean that chategorically.
    paxton1978 likes this.
  40. I'll be celebrating how it's finally over and praying it won't happen again in my lifetime :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.