1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weston's Vintage Cider after a liunchtime of kegged Jaipur. Warming up for a dash down to Bloodstock to go see Alice Cooper. My facepainting hero :)

2. :) I love it. Didn't at first taste, but now I just don't want to be away from it.

As Dennoman suggests, many Belgian brewers are a) very open and b) very economical with their recipes in terms of mother-beers begetting a whole range. The day I spent at Orval and Chimay really opened my eyes to the industrial nature of 'Trappist' brewing.

3. Beer festival again- some Black Dog left. If that's on thrpere's no point in looking any further :)

4. BobZ

BobZ Advocate (530) Massachusetts Jun 24, 2009

I have to strongly agree on the Westvleteren 8 & 12 being aged at least a year. Drinking it any younger almost seems like a waste as the beer ages so exceptionally.

I love Rochefort 10 but to my palate the flavor profile of all Rochefort beers is so unique that it is almost it's own style. On occasion, I've enjoyed Rochefort 10 almost as much as Westvleteren; however, it cannot match the smoothness of a 2 year old Westy 12.

In all honesty the only beer I've had that matches or exceeds the two year Westvleteren is Pannepot 2007. I've yet to have a 5 year old Westy for comparison but Urbain's flagship ages so incredibly that the Westvleteren may not be able to match the aged Pannepot. I also think that the fresh Pannepot 2011 is a great beer right now, better than fresh Westvleteren.

Have only had the fresh Westvleteren blonde 5 or 6 times and unfortunately the last 2 have been infected, might have to save that one for a future trip to In de Vrede:)

5. Maldon Brewing Puck's Folly, so nice and easy it disappeared in about 30 seconds. Best golden ale i've ever had.

6. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Outblack has had its last chance. It's truly horrendous. Tastes like Pannepot with a splash of detergent. Love pretty much all their beers, but can't stand the smell or taste of this one. Damn, damn and THRICE damn!

7. The one I can't drink is Earthmonk. I have 2 2008 bottles reserved for Zimbo and Ruds :p

Zimbo and Ruds like this.
  8. I had the Outblack a week or so ago.

Was expecting the worst based on your thoughts

However it was Ok

No world beater a 3.4/5 type affair

9. Dennoman

Something may be awry in my cellar. Pulled out a few random bottles and they all seem to have yeast floaters to some degree. Even a 10% brew like Tsjeeses. We've had a few hot spells around here the last few weeks but nothing major, and no sunlight should be able to get in there. I hope this isn't due to lack of refridgeration, as I'm pretty panicky about my collection now.

I'm about to open my Beer Geek Brunch Weasel by Mikkeller. If this has gone to shit, I'm gonna be pissed.

10. First of the evening, bottle of Fyne Jarl. I'm feeling a bit Kernelish now.

11. Dennoman

Decided I needed a treat to end the night after those damn skunky bottles.

[​IMG]

All happy now.

Ruds likes this.
  12. After a tiring day burning a castle I am having some old engine oil.

13. Dennoman

Did you at least secure the damsel?

14. Of course, no mead nor ale was harmed doing this, lol

15. Dennoman

I'll quaff to that!

16. Allendale Adder lager
    Walls Gun Dog Bitter
    Walls Summer Gold

17. The Kernel IPA Centennial Columbus while watching the Olympic closing ceremony .

18. Were you also disappointed the Who didn't smash up their stuff? (doubled by how it wasn't smashed into One Directions heads)

EmperorBevis likes this.
  19. A fun evening at Bloodstock enhanced greatly by the presence of a cask beer bar in the VIP tent. Lashings of Osset's Hopmonster and Spire's Land of Hop & Glory was ideal preparation for a cracking set by Alice Cooper. Now catching up on sport I've missed with a bottle of Weston's Vintage. Gluggable.

20. Last bottle of Fou' Foune.

Sniff.

Ruds likes this.
  21. I was there in 2010, how was it this year? Thought the setlist looked a bit wank to be honest.

22. The Kaiser Chiefs were actually covering The Who and they did a pretty good job of it. Big surprise there.Which is more than can be said for Muse (At the Olympics? WTF? The poor man's Radiohead) who struggled to even cover themselves. Would have loved to have seen a brief Jam reunion, even for a couple of minutes, as it would have really helped to eliminate the memory of seeing the mind numbing Spice Girls again. Taxi!

23. Not drinking anything yet but have just had a delivery from a certain beer pedler in Norfolk and have put a bottle of Bourbon County Vanilla Stout in the fridge for later !

Hurry along later !!!

24. Only went to see Alice Cooper. Who was barnstorming as always.

25. Didn't you watch it until the end? They were playing Baba O'Reily .

26. I had work today and all that BrazilIan entertainment was just too much for me.

27. BCBVS - Bosh/Wallop!!!

Dennoman and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  28. It's a lucky man who can indulge like that on a Monday evening!

I'm making do with a Lowenbrau....

Ruds likes this.
  29. Always save your best beer for Monday - it's a shit day otherwise !!!

30. Maybe I should heed that.....I'm now on an Adnams Spindrift.

31. Hoppin Frog, more Green Flash, Jester King, Lost Abey, Southern Tier and Rogue beer now on Beers of Europe.

Well I know what i'm doing the day my student loan comes in. Except the Rogue beers, shit treatment of staff aside, last time BoE had some I got a few, and they were the worst US beers i've had, extremely watery and not alot of taste.

32. Dennoman

Still need Mokah and Creme Brulee to complete the Blackwater series. Prices seem okay, though I can get them a good bit cheaper here.

33. OK, it's Franziskaner time!

34. You're the boss man Ruds, will do. Right, where did I put that Einstok white?

35. Woodfordes Wherry this time. Super pint at last, I was getting to think that this beer had lost its sparkle but this was just as it should have been.

Zimbo likes this.
  36. Fantome Pissenlit. Odd smoke. Adventurous but underwhelming.

37. Yorkshire Terrier. The bottled version isn't that good, unless this is a poor batch....

38. Love that beer. Served in via a number of polypins at my wedding reception years ago.

39. Went back last night hoping for some more-it had gone!
    "It only lasts a day, it's so popular" they said so I settled for Pollys Folly from the local Buffy's Brewery,nice enough but not in the same league.

40. Holt's sixex, like dark mild and cough syrup :S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.