1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovely day so left my wife on the beach and explored the town. At least as far as the Red Lion where I found some mild! Winter's Norwich Brewery Mild at 3.6% ABV , lovely stuff all liquoricy but with a nice bitter finish.Another walk round and back for a pint of Gold from the same brewery.Good stuff,loads of body and backbone,not like so many of today's golden ales.I' getting quite impressed with the Winter'sBrewery.
    Back to my wife and on to the RNLI Rocket Cafe balcony for coffee and cake with a grandstand view of the Red Arrows.

2. Improved credentials for Goose Island then haha.
    [​IMG]

3. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Wasn't that the big man's gift to your PM?

I think he's winning a lot of beer geek votes by going local (Chicago), despite it being taken over by Satan's hellspawn and all that.

4. Yeah he gave one to DC apparantly. £1.69 on BoE, a worthy gift indeed.

5. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

"Give us a six-pack of Bourbon County, then we'll talk politics old chap."

EssexAleMan likes this.
  6. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna grab the Brooklyn Brewery fall 12 pack sampler, $16.99. I've had some fun building assorted 6-packs but I'm ready for some value and this seems like a good one.

7. The Kernel Double SCCANS is up for termination in just a couple of minutes.

8. A dozen decent bottles for like a tenner? That's value unlike anything i've ever seen in the UK :(

M&S Southwold Blonde Beer though, fantastic stuff.

9. Report back if it's good - I keep passing that one over at my local shop.....

10. Still looking at it jazzyboy. But shouldn't be long now...

11. and DC gave him.... Hobgoblin. Argh!

Zimbo likes this.
  12. had a My Antonia tonight- wish I'd bought more!

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  13. So far I've sunk a Pilsner Urquell and am currently on a Bath Ales' Wild Hare....

14. How was that Pilsner Urquell? In the mid to late 80s it was one of my very favourites.

As for the double SCCANS, which I'm drinking in between typing, its pretty fine. Super nose, a bit heavy but lots of development in the tongue. Packs some wallop as well into its wall of flavour.

15. I can just read the caption:

'He gave me some mother feckin Lord of the Rings shit in exchange for this. Dumb ass Casper!'

16. The Urquell was OK, but not outstanding. As mainstream lagers go it's one of my favourites - more flavour than most and often fairly cheap. But it's nothing compared to trying it at source; I visited Prague in Spring 2011 and took a trip to Plzen for the day. Visited the brewery and sampled the unfiltered, unpasteurised version from a massive wooden cask located in the maze of cellars under the site. A great experience and a fantastic brew!

The Kernel sounds good - might have to grab one....

17. Presu

Presumably the unfiltered unpasteurised version from the massive wooden cask in the cellars was a heart stopping experience. I'm getting goose bumbs just thinking about it.

Double SCCANS does require a bit of stamina and the ability to take a number of blows to the jacks but I wouldn't say no to another.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  18. Ouch! Bad luck Barack.

19. Doesn't every serious beer zealot yearn for that ;)

Now on Bishop's Finger - classic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.