1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Would rather be drinking the cask version
    not only because it is a better drink but also it would mean I a would be in Cornwall.

P.S. Spingo are now supplying casks to a couple of pubs in Cornwall as well as it being available n their original brewpub.
    Wonder if they can up production to guest-ale levels.

2. Just finishing up a 2.5 pint growler of Firestone Walker Double Jack. Very nice.

Bitterbill likes this.
  3. Began with a pint of Theakston's Best , a beer I've always overlooked as being very ordinary.But at the Royal Oak in East Bridgford it was a revelation, lots of lovely complex nuances and flavours with perfect balance.Better still, it was gratis courtesy of the landlord.On to the Royal Oak (who says life gets monotonous!) at Car Colston at the side of the largest village green in England where I had Marston's Sunbeam and Brakspear's Bitter.As ever and always at this pub the beers were in perfect condition and a joy to imbibe.Sadly I was driving although on back roads and that was my limit.

4. ETOHBV

ETOHBV Disciple (55) South Carolina Feb 15, 2010

Sam Adams Double Boch

5. Couple of Punks, couple of wines, getting in my groove for IndyManBeerCo tomorrow

fuseboy likes this.
  6. Ha ha do you drink anything else! ;-)

ReluctantScoop likes this.
  7. How much did this set you back? And I presume you got it at Brewdog?

8. Hey, that's why I'm Reluctant ;-)

fuseboy likes this.
  9. Yep, BrewDog sourced. Pricewise, only the barman and my banker know the truth. ;)

10. Why are you being coy about it? I'm only asking because it's on right now in the Camden branch and I might like to pick up a growler of it myself.

11. Coy? GTFO. No more than the next boy.
    BFWIW I believe it was something like £3.50 a half. Or so.

12. Just back from 3 days in Roma.
    What a great beer city, visited 4 venues all with a great selection and knowledgeable enthusiastic staff.
    Ma Che (the football bar) was my favourite haunt very much like a British pub.
    One other interesting find and would be interested to know if anyone else has come across this concept?
    At Open Baladin they have 5 of their own barleywines permanently available (all 11.5-13.5% abv). They keep them corked in a fridge so you can simply purchase a 0.2L pour for 5 euros instead of having to buy the whole bottle!
    These were one of the highlights along with Tocclamato - Space Invaders (black IPA) and Stavio - Stupid Monkey stout on cask.

13. I had Toccalmatto's Space Invaders on draft at Chez Moeder Lambic and rather enjoyed it, though I think they have better beers, like Zona Cesarini or Surfing Hop IPA.
    Did you have Tipopils on draft anywhere?

14. Yeah - tipopils I had at Ma Che on tap.

There were no duds in the 25/30 beers I got through.

One thing I noticed with almost every Italian beer without exception was that they all looked great and all had a great mouthfeel, just the right level of carbonation for the style, all had a nice finish.

15. Yeah, that's been my albeit-more-limited experience too.

16. Wadworth Dray Bells (short dated) 500ml 99 p B&M's

17. Broke into my 12 bottle ITA stash that all safely made it home in the suitcase.
    Kicked off with a Del Ducato - Verdi Imperial Stout.
    Italian craft beer, I tell thee - its the future!

18. What is B&M's ? I see a few people quote this on beer forums, is it a northern chain?

19. Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA

20. The majority of the stores are up North like but there are stores as far south as Bristol I think

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/stores

21. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Del Ducato was at BBF last weekend. Their Verdi was proper nice!

22. How was it?

23. Moorhouse's Premier Bitter - tasty.

I believe the company's origins are in Blackpool, but there are quite a few scattered around up here. The stores tend to be rather downmarket, but the beer selection can be interesting (and cheap)....

EmperorBevis likes this.

24. Ahhh - that rings big bells now you mention Blackpool !

I remember going on a day trip to Blackpool around 98/99 time and stocking up on supplies at this big supermarket near the bus station for the train ride home.

Very sparce and bare, all cardboard boxes and crates !

That be it I reckon!

EmperorBevis likes this.
  25. It were proper Bo !

I also have the Speyside aged version which is a tad stronger from memory.

26. I've now moved on to a Knops IPA - restrained but rather nice.

Zimbo - this brewery is based in Edinburgh. Have you tried many of their beers?

27. Christoff

Christoff Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2012

Goose island bourbon county stout 2012

3 Floyds zombie dust

and maybe tyranena dirty old man porter or founders breakfest stout

EmperorBevis likes this.
  28. Being a beer and Romero fan I am so freaking jealous :)

Christoff likes this.
  29. Avery's DuganA, courtesy of mmapes (following a recent meeting and trade). This is truly superb - an avalanche of hops coat my tastebuds with deliciousness.....

30. Berkshire steel rail pale ale, De Ranke Guldenberg, Saison and Triple homebrew

31. DugunA was fantastic - freshness really does count!

Finishing up with a Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

32. Isle of Arran blonde and making sure I gets me some
    Sierra Nevada Torpedo to sink in case my local Tesco decide to jettison it.

33. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Fresh Jai Alai IPA at the noon bles jam . A 750 of Bolita double nut brown later w/dinner. At some point later tonight my last 2010Abyss will see its demise. Cheers all!

Bitterbill likes this.
  34. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

You wear the "Rory" hair well!

35. RichD

RichD Advocate (735) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I had a 22oz bottle of Firestone Walker Sucaba/Abacus last night. I may start today with a bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout. Maybe I'll have a Goose Island Matilda or Samuel Smith Pale Ale later on today.

36. Marquis of Granby at Granby-began with the Grantham Dark by Oldershaw , then the Hophead (Brewster's) and Marquis (well, I had to din't I ?).lovely good old fashioned bitter. The launch of this beer was interesting-the Marquis himself came down from Belvoir Castle to do this. So the Marquis of Granby was drinking Marquis at the Marquis of Granby at Granby.

37. Thank you Waitrose home delivery
    No Kelham Island Easy Rider, no attemp at substitution.

38. Tonight nothing:(

last night, two london pride, homebrewed ESB and oud bruin and a couple of gin and tonics

39. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,245) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'm having another Odell The Meddler and it's tasting better than the first bottle I had. I got some St Peters Cream Stout on the sidelines waiting to enter the game...I do love it.

It's a pity the "influx" of brews from the UK came to a grinding halt.:( I might have to do the online thing again and get some more Timothy Taylor Landlord...

40. The missus brought me some beers back from somewhere in Cumbria, 3 Strand brewey ales including their RIS and a couple of Black Beck offerings.
    So one of them.
    Maybe 2.
    And a pizza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.