1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yep. Hip flask = good. Own beer = desperate.
  2. In pub Cask angel witch from elland brewery nice balanced hop and malt taste. Good solid beer selection here though nothing unusual.
  3. Cheddar ale tottypot like eating a clown :) tastes funny.
    Ruds likes this.
  4. I beg your pardon!
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  5. well the weekend starts tomorrow, so I'm off to Nottingham to judge at SIBA Midlands. And I haven't had a proper beer for nearly three weeks... well I don't regard Mythos, Alpha or Fix as decent beer
    ReluctantScoop likes this.
  6. Finished night with Leather Britches Hairy Scary ( textbook nod to U.S. craft)
    and Bollington's White Nancy.

Had a taste of someone's Oakham Citra and the cask must have been left too close to lemon detergent.
  7. Drinking another Berkshire steel rail pale ale while making a starter for some homebrewing tomorrow.
  8. Enjoy! I shall be part of the boozy rabble outside. Notts is my favourite CAMRA fest bar none. Really looking forward to it.
  9. Considering it was from the end of the keg it was great. Linear yet powerful with so much development without at all being too heavy.
  10. Blue Monkey Original to begin with, great brewery which came from nowhere then sold 19 firkins at the Nottingham Beer Festival. On to Moleface, brewed by the local Magpie brewery , fine but not as good, more Blue Monkey and to finish off some Landlord which was a disappointment. It's so long since I've had an indifferent pint at my usual haunts that I expect all my beer to be in cracking A1 nick.
    Talking about Nottingham, the Robin Hood Festival begins today. The biggest selection of cask ales in the world (well in excess of 1000) is there if you don't mind the crowds.I do so I'll drink locally. http://www.beerfestival.nottinghamcamra.org/Beers_and_Breweries/2012_beer_list.xls
  11. I don't like beer, it tastes NASTY!

Nah only joking

More Dragon Heart, Cain's brown ale.

Wish they had this at the rock clubs and venues when it was Newkie Broon or Watered down John Smiths keg.
  12. I tell you what we are not drinking,
    Mr. Mullins ipa and Cromwell stout :p
  13. Night cap ... Nogne 0 #100.

Hopped up BW bedtime nonsense :p
  14. Going to give this Marston's single hop Sovereign a whirl.
    A fiver says it will taste like a light mild.
  15. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

I just tapped my very first keg in my new kegorater that my wonderful wife bought me yesterday. North Coast Old Stock Ale got the honors for being my first! I may also have a Burton Baton, Skullsplitter, nosferatu, a KBS, or even a SN Bigfoot. Decisions, decisions!
  16. Not half bad and at 99p blimey Marston's new claim of craft brewed is not that far off.
  17. I picked up a 22 on my weekly Thursday run tonight.
    Haven't opened, yet.
    What's your opinion...should I crack tomorrow or let it sit?
  18. Car
  19. You have kegs of those?

Get out, now.
  20. Nottingham Beer Festival starts today. About 1030 different cask beers to choose from.Be surprised if you could sample them all :)
  21. Superhuman more like!
  22. Geuze Boon and Stone IPA for me - been a while since I spent over seven quid on two bottles of beer

Please tell me they will be good :eek:
  23. I thought they were both lovely.
  24. Good to hear. I've never tried a lambic before
  25. Not a great day taking comfort in a big plate of well done pork sausages and some dark mild.

Wish I had a better mild than Thwaite's Nutty Black but since they started brewing dark mild for M&S it has slightly improved.
  26. With the Sovereign simple hop ala Marstons being so tasty let me get my lips around Marynka.
    Sure smells good.
  27. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Great Lakes Blackout Stout. Fuck me it's nice. Kinda jitters me from the fact I've been drinking a lot of sweet imperial stouts lately. This is completely different. A little bready, but nice bitterness and coffee notes. Mouthfeel not very lush, but it coats the mouth nicely. Almost seems like a Belgian style.

It could very well be a completely different beer from the fresh one, mind. This is WELL past its best before date (over 2 years). I know that American regulation is strict regarding BBF (180 days or some crazy shit), but this is fairly old by anyone's standards. Best before 08/10!
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  28. Laverstoke park farm real lager the beer equivalent to Crowded House.
  29. Well I've finished the geuze, I liked the dryness and lemony sourness but the smell and taste of unwashed feet didn't sit well with me - it was the same taste that I got with every homemade wine I tried last time I was in Bulgaria. I'll still try a few more though

Onto the Stone IPA and I think I've got an older bottle - not as hop forward as I was expecting and a bit too sweet - of the few american IPAs I've tried I much prefer goose island and torpedo. Both cheaper too.
  30. Most likely due to age, which I notice alot of the rarer beers from the US are here.
  31. Drinking Spingo Middle like the Duke of Earl, be away with you plebs.
  32. I suppose this is where the supermarkets have an advantage, even if they do treat the beers like shit they still have a much higher turnover of even their smaller lines than the wee independent offies

plus who knows how they were shipped
  33. Finishing the night with Das Helles from Scwabeb Frau underballsaswinging or some other Teutonic twattery.
    Ruds likes this.
  34. 77 lager
    Wild Swan

...onwards....
  35. Christoff

Christoff Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2012

Goose island Bourbon Stout anf Tyranena Dirty Old Man Porter
  36. No I think they must send over the stuff they can't sell mostly, whereas stuff like SNPA and Honkers Ale they actually want to sell here. US stuff in beer shops is never out of date due to being on the shelf for ages.
  37. Dad dancing to Grandmaster Flash's The Message then chugging SN Torpedo in one then moshing to Manowar.
    EssexAleMan likes this.
  38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'm going to have me an Oude Geueze from De Cam. I bought them and an Oude Kriek from Etre Gourmet and it only took 10 days to get the box.

Man....I love De Cam!
  39. Coz I ain't bitter enough MORE fullers porter.
  40. terryg75

terryg75 Zealot (80) Sep 23, 2012

Lol, I only have the Old Stock in the keg...at $200+ that was more than enough. All the others are regular bottles. The day I snag a keg of KBS seems pretty unlikely, but the next keg will definitely be the Burton.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.