1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilsner Round #2 only brought marginally better results today. Rothaus Pilsner wasn't too shabby buy Konig was another strain to drain. Appears I'm slowly reverting back to my lager hate of 1987 I'm afraid.
  2. I like the fact that you can date your 'lager hate' to a specific year :) What's the story?

I'm currently sipping on a Staropramen - it actually tastes pretty good (due to the hideous muggy heatwave that we're suffering)....
  3. Bomber of Punk. Bomber of Punk. Rinse, lather, repeat...
  4. Girardin Black label gueuze. In honour of Jan Girardin's passing (the brewer's brother). Sour....
  5. Yeah, 1987. Over about 3 years or so I searched for quality 'lagers and pilsners' and by 87 I had all but given up on them. Everything I had tasted was just insipid. Fortunately Pilsner Urquell was only a couple of months away with its rich salty tang to make me forget about all that frustration. At least until the beer was stripped and hammered in the early 90s. I have long nurtured a fondness for bottom fermented beers but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm returning to that 1987 form.

BTW, I have had a few decent bottles of Staropramen in my time.
  6. Interesting. It's certainly true that most lager out there (by volume produced) is shit. The local one I had yesterday was superb though (Hop Studio's Pilsner) - I reckon it was on a par with Tipopils. If I come up Edinburgh way I'll bring you one.

Am now on Alvinne's Morpheus Wild. Not sure about this one - the flavour is a bit of a mess.
    Zimbo likes this.
  7. To conclude the evening and fortify myself for my travails, a Nigerian Guinness FES. Bit sweeter & less roasty than the local version.
  8. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Their Morpheus yeast highlight brews are generally not great. I have a second bottle of the Morpheus Dark in my cellar. It's considered a Belgian Strong Dark Ale but it's actually a re-hash of their Podge Belgian Imperial Stout.
  9. Interesting. I'd love to know what's so special about Morpheus (other than the name). Unfortunately I also have a number of their other Morpheus brews sitting around - I guess I'll have to drink them and pass judgement...
  10. London Pride. I found an 'Irish pub' in Seoul which serves it on tap. I'll also buy some bottles by Rogue brewery because there's a couple of shops in Seoul that sells them. I was surprised when I was in Cambridge last week to see that Rogue had pride of place in Bacchanalia, especially when the German section was severely lacking in brand variety. Rogue make nice beer but it's really nothing special.
    Zimbo likes this.
  11. Bavaria as I was dumped with six cans of the stuff by a relative that loves blander than bland beer.
  12. Perfect time for a game or two of 'Find the hop', eh?
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  13. Rinse, lather, repeat. And it's only Wednesday.
  14. You know, I've never seen a single bomber of Punk, ever. And now I know why. You've sunk the fucking lot!

Will need to drown my sorrows with a Harvistoun Wild Hop as I tweet and watch Newsnight later.
  15. I have grabbed a bottle of Veltins pilsner because it was apparently in the 'fuller flavour segment'.
  16. Thursday. Hic.
  17. Played a game of 'Find the Hops' with a bottle of Trashy Blonde at dinner with my pie, sausage and mash. My arse was resoundly trashed. Even the label describes this once reasonably bitter beer now as 'fruity'. I can tell you that with no hesitation that Trashy Blond is now thoroughly esmasculated. To make matters worse I added some 'Special Edition' Lea & Perins to my meal to spice things up only to be reminded and further disappointed that as a relish it wasn't worthy of kissing Henderson's arse.
    Luckily some SN Torpedo managed to salvage an all out invasion of mediocrity. Yanks saving arses again. And yes, this does mean war.
  18. Back home for a few days-went to a nearby village where they were playing cricket on the green (fun match but with a few international players there)......the adjacent pub (Royal Oak, Car Colston) is an excellently run Marston's house.I was taken by surprise by the Sunbeam brewed by Bank's. Utterly superb, well balanced but hop forward, not your usual boring Golden Ale. Never had even an indifferent pint at this pub, despite the restriction of being a tied house it's always a treat to visit.The Brakspear's Bitter was also amazing , how do they get all that from such a low ABV?
  19. Dennoman

Southern Tier Imperial Oat. Good stout, nothing extraordinary but a great night cap!
  20. Good luck with your search for 'fuller flavour'. I doubt you'll find it at the bottom of a Veltins bottle though....

I'm searching for flavour in a large bottle of Beerlao. Not much happening.
    Zimbo and EmperorBevis like this.
  21. Is that the one with a picture of a horse on the front label?
  22. Dennoman

A horse with a feedbag, yes. Beers don't get more open about their shitload of calories than that!
    EmperorBevis and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  23. Do you know the Marquis of Granby at. uh, Granby? I've going over there soon.
  24. Certainly, it's only a few miles from where I live. It's the brewery tap for Brewster's Brewery , beer is very well kept and there's almost always a mild available. No food though except that Friday is fish and chip night and there are occasional dinner evenings.
  25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I passed on this as I wasn't in the mood for it. There's no use drinking a beer if one's not in the mood for the onslaught of alcohol. This weekend, maybe. If I'm in the mood.:rolleyes:
  26. So....Cropton's Old Goat. A strong ale. Tastes like someone chucked a double vodka into a regular ale - hot & nasty.
  27. Blech.

Right, I've cracked a nice Chimay red to get the taste out of my mouth....
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Good stuff the Chimay Red. I put them in this order now, ignore my reviews: White>Red>Blue.
  29. To avoid total beer disappointment this weekend I ignored the temptation to try Dab lager bier from Aldi and instead have picked up Wincle Waller, Einstok Pale Ale and Jeffrey Hudson Bitter.
  30. That's the one Bevis. You won't regret it.

Me, I'm about to partake in a very locally made beer (first time in over 100 years) called de BRus. I'm hoping it might be available via cask at the annual Robert the Bruce Festival tomorrow.
  31. I'm not drinking Punk IPA.

Someone may need to revive Zimbo at this point. Apologies for breaking the mould.
  32. I'm now drinking Punk IPA.

Someone may need to restrain Zimbo at this point. Apologies for reinventing the mould.
    mjtierney2 likes this.
  33. Thank Christ for that. Accident & Emergency is a bitch on a Friday night.
  34. Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire
  35. I'm now drinking Punk IPA.

Someone may need to restrain me at this point. Apologies.
    mjtierney2 and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  36. I got some recently and found a profound change
    Not much fizz but an almost shaving foam head and a real haribo type grapefruit taste to it.
  37. I'm still drinkign Punk IPA.

Cant spel dinrking. Apple ogies.
  38. From my experience the BrewDog regulars don't seem to be getting much TLC these days.
  39. Ride many miles on BMX in spiderman costume.
  40. Began with a Lowenbrau. Now I'm sipping a Uinta Wyld - acquired from GBBF. Tasty stuff indeed!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.