What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isn't this what hipflasks were invented for? Fill one with BCBS and you're good to go....

2. I've got tickets for the 'battle of the blades' next Thursday night

I shan't succumb !!!

A couple in Tap East beforehand should keep me going for 4 hours!

paxton1978 likes this.
  3. Yes, I know and it's a couple of years since I last had any. Have to see what Norfolk has to offer.
    The Lifeboat at Thornham (the next village) belongs to Marco Pierre White and he's got Lees to brew something called "The Governor" for him.Gets poor reviews but in my book it's just a light mild whatever they want to call it.

4. Lucky! I'm just seeing Pistorius in a preliminary tomorrow, but I didn't want to hold out for finals tickets because they disappear so bloody quickly! Have a great time!

5. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Absolutely rocked the socks off an exam today, so I'm rewarding myself with a couple beers. In a borderline desperate attempt to finally find a completely homegrown stout that I actually like, I'm having De Dolle Brouwers Extra Export. I think we have finally achieved success!

Next up is the Alvinne Podge Belgian Imperial Stout. It was actually released under two names (Podge Belgian Stout and Podge Belgian Imperial Stout or BIS), but both seem to be the same beer. I think the BIS was bottled in 2008 though and the other in 2009. Could be interesting!

6. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

I'm heading to the store and mixing all the Oktoberfest and Pumpkin I can find (excluding Shipyard and Blue Moon). Details at 10.

7. Had another crack at Rothaus Pilsner just now. A hollow skinny whisp of a beverage again I'm afraid to say. Not a patch on on their Tannenzapfle. Not a patch at all.

8. 'Podge'. That anything to do with the bloke who runs those bus tours to Belgium?

9. Dennoman

Yep! Brewed in his honour. Seems to have been re-hashed as Morpheus Dark, clearly not a stout at all. More barleywine-like. Still trying it, I found the other a bit hot, boozy and sweet when I had it within its 1st year of production, but this is a 2009 vintage. Will be cool to see if it's mellowed.

10. My better half was desparately trying to get Olympics tickets during the first week. After 2 nights and many failed hours we gave up and decided to go for the Paras. I think we booked the Thursday of Paras week 2 (most of the sprint finals) on the Thursday of Olympics week 1. Other like minded folks cottoned on and it was sold out by the middle Saturday morning of the Olympics! £20 bargain !!!

Hope tomorrow is a good day out for you and remember your friend Tap East isn't far away!

11. I shared a bottle of the Morpheus Dark down the Cask last week. It was Ok - but had that typical Belgian stout flavour which is fine, but not really my bag!

12. Dennoman

Ah, dried biscuits. I'll see soon enough what it's like when aged!

Ruds likes this.
  13. Bombers of Punk IPA. Well, it is Friday.

14. isn't EVERY day Friday? Catching up on the basketball- no Punk for me because my local Sains is shite all of a sudden. Got my current standards of GI IPA and Karmeliet plus a Waitrose Dunkel Weiss- very underrated in my opinion.

15. Dennoman

Strange buttery acidity and the same old clumsy booze hit deterred me from another sip of the Podge. Oh well, since my dad seems to have the complete opposite taste in beers to me, it's all for him. I'm on a Kujo from Flying Dog and it's as glorious as it was the first time I had it.

Fairly cheap to get here as well, can't complain for less than €3 a bottle. Oh man, this is lovely. Textbook coffee stout.

16. I'm feeling an IPA coming on...

EmperorBevis likes this.
  17. Think the latter is brewed by Arcorbrau. Was given a dozen (slightly out of date) bottles of their pils 2 weeks ago. Not a bad number.

18. And yes! Its St Andrew's Brewery's IPA. Ruddy hell.

19. That's very strange, as it's the same beer.

20. drinking a big bottle of Duvel now- have recently fallen back in love with this one.

21. ... it's Soft Cell...

Zimbo likes this.
  22. Nutwood

Nutwood Savant (405) Kentucky Jun 30, 2012

Only $11 & change, not bad.
    [​IMG]

Zimbo and jazzyjeff13 like this.
  23. Out for a family meal earlier at a local pub....a couple of Landlords were quaffed.

Now I'm enjoying a Sierra Nevada Summerfest - quality lager.

Zimbo likes this.
  24. And now a black beast - Mikkeller Beer Geek Bacon! Mmmmm bacon....

Ruds and Zimbo like this.
  25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

St Peters Organic English Ale. Organically speaking, it doesn't hold a candle to the Samuel Smith ones. Next up, their Cream Stout.

26. Bitterbill

And the Cream Stout is delicious! Gotta buy more.

Zimbo likes this.
  27. .SN Torpredo with Mongolian Beef . Explosives vs fire.

28. Their Cream Stout is quality - don't think I've tried a better one yet.

29. Another St Andrews Brewing Company India Pale Ale. Absolutely love it. Bob Phalf, you are the Billy Corgan of the one man band brewery.

30. Glad to hear a recommendation. I've got one of these knocking around somewhere....

31. Bitterbill

Yeah, I think it's tops for the style, not that I've had that many.

32. I have to confess, I've been drinking cider again. It's a bad sign - next I'll be homeless and on the street, begging for spare change.....

Right, currently on a Meantime Wheat (slighty aged). Not too shabby.....

33. Dennoman

You're not on malt liquor yet. There's still hope!

34. Cider, again?? Jazz, you have been warned about this. Next thing you know I'll be waxing on about my many fine red Burgundies....

35. Mmmm. Liquor...

36. Dennoman

Yum.

37. Hahaha that vid is hilarious! When I saw the title I thought it was the energy drink.....

38. I'm having 10 or so days off the beer before a heavy beer weekend next one up. First Quinns home game on Friday night = Sussex Arms from 4.45, Runneymede BF (nothing overly rare but on the doorstep) on Saturday, then on Sunday a mate and I are using some free rail tickets to head to Southampton and Winchester for a pub crawl and a trip to Bitter Virtue offie.

Decided I'd dig out some whisky to keep me sane and having resurrected my Laphroaig Triple Wood (48%), I clocked a month out of date Cobra Zero in the cupboard. Not mine, think a friend of ours brought it round for a curry when she was pregnant end of last year.

Stuck it in the fridge - that doesn't count iin breaking my beer curfew does it chaps???

39. I have no spectacles

40. Put your beer goggles on and join the party!

I'm now on a Hawkshead Cumbrian Five Hop - superb! An avalanche of hops on the palate - despite the lack of bottle conditioning this is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.