1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So, Brewdog's International Arms Race. It's bizarre - like a banana-infused herbal concoction. Smells like a cross between a Belgian brew and your spice rack....

2. Found them yet?

3. It's Sunday night, and I've had:
    Staropramen
    Ilkley Jubilee
    Thornbridge's Kipling
    Baird's Suruga Bay Imperial IPA

Bring on Monday!

4. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I'm having a few beers tonight to celebrate the end of exams. From there I'll probably go until September 15th without beer as I'm going to a big BBQ then and will be in Spain at my parents' house for a week.

A friend of mine broke his collarbone and through a routine exam for an operation tomorrow, he found out his liver is apparently oversensitive to alcohol and fatty foods. He was developing first stage cirrhosis. One wonders what might have happened if he hadn't broken his collarbone. Could have been dead in a few years' or even months' time.

As the Chinese say: "the old man who lost his horse".

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2008/05/grace-wang-the-old-man-who-lost-his-horse-video-added/

5. Not sure
    The thought of a September 15th BBQ fills me with melancholy (thought not quite with infinite sadness) considering that here Autumn is just around the corner and Summer has really still to make an appearance. Sorry to here about your friend though. I should count myself lucky.

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Thank goodness it was found in time.

7. Due to suspicions about BD's Punk iPa I will suffer a Caffrey's to see what nitro bottle beer is like to compare.

8. Dennoman

Going for a Duvel Tripel Hop tonight. I'd rather fancy some grapefruit, but let's face it: who actually eats grapefruit?

Ruds likes this.
  10. Have you survived to tell the tale?

11. I've bought it, I haven't drank it yet, I think I will wait to the Dutch courage during the weekend.

12. Nogne Brun
    Average - not their best and not worth the £4 something I paid for it !

13. Wise move. Keep us posted Bevis.

14. Can I set up sort sort of auto-post function to say "I'm drinking a bomber of Punk blah blah blah"?

Zimbo likes this.
  15. I'm with Zimbo on this one - good luck! Caffrey's is vile, I reviewed it not too long back. You'd be better off with Brewdog under almost any circumstances....

16. Yet to find a Brewdog offering not totally outclassed by other brewers.But Caffrey's isn't one of them. Restricted at the moment to Adnam,s and GK.GK IPA is everywhere, soundly brewed but just dull ,OK if I'm just thirsty

17. It's just together a handle on nitro beer it's tastes,traits and noticeable qualities from a bottle as I really suspect foul play on Brewdog part.

18. I've just managed to purchase 21 beers from Waitrose of all places for £17.93. They have 25% off a bunch of single bottles (I got Goose Island IPA, SN Pale Ale, Brooklyn Lager, Tripel Karmeliet and Coopers Sparkling ale - I've not tried the Brooklyn, Tripel or Coopers yet so thought I'd better) Then they had four 4x500ml packs of London Pride reduced to £3.99 each due to damaged packaging, plus an addition saving of £6 on a multibuy offer on them which still went through, despite this being scotland and I'm sure they shouldn't allow that

I only went in to buy a loaf of bread :eek:

which in my bargain busting excitement forgot to buy :oops:

Still, plenty of liquid bread to get by on this weekend

jazzyjeff13 and EmperorBevis like this.
  19. Ah, research. I understand. But anything from BrewDog would be better.

20. Looks like you got it bad. You're one of us now.

21. Managed to get battle of the blades tickets tonight, so am Chucking back a bomber of punk before inevitably succumbing to olympic park's finest lager!

22. Yes and thanks :eek:

Goose Island IPA and Coopers sparkling ale down.

The GI is a favourite of mine for easily available IPAs

First time on the Coopers and I'm not that impressed - easy enough drinking but perhaps better drunk on a hot day. I've made the mistake of drinking it after the IPA, which hasn't helped its' cause .So I'll try again next year then

23. Coopers Sparkling Ale is one of the most variable beers I can think of though Goose Island IPA isn't bad. Always drink the least hoppy beers first then drink your way up. Works for me.

24. Yeah I've made that mistake before, no doubt I'll make it again in the future

25. The important thing is that you've got your priorities straight :)

26. Dennoman

Beer is basically liquid bread anyways. What a steal!

27. A bucket of Barolo, plate of salami, olives the size of bullfrog's balls. Sorted

Hoppsbabo, rodney45 and Ruds like this.
  28. It was a great evening

And I managed a few scoops at Tap East before hand!

29. Rothaus Pils for starters. My last bottle and easily the best from the now gone stash. Surprised by the bottle variation to be honest.

30. I have some of Caledonia's Flying Scotsman (cannot for the life of me remember if I've tried it) and the very excellent and most triumphant MandS Summer Blonde but at the moment I feel more like a lie down.

31. Have pushed myself real hard and managed one of the Flying Scotsman not bad for for a standard bottle
    Especially considering they were a pound nineteen a pop.

32. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Hopefully some Marshal Zhukov, but methinks it won't be here til Monday.
    On the other hand Guava Grove and Big Sound are around.

33. Dennoman

Sounds great nonetheless :) Still feeling bad I couldn't get you the Surly beers. I'm leaving for a beerless week at my folks' house in Spain tomorrow morning, so catch you lads back on the 16th!

34. So far:
    Tuborg (crap)
    Frothingham Best
    Old Crafty Hen

More good stuff to come....

35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I got home just now and I'm having a Hobgoblin. I haven't seen it around for a few years but I remembered I like it.

36. Now on a rather aged Westmalle Dubbel....

37. A bucket of coffee. Today I'm leading a pub crawl around the finer parts of Derbyshire's Amber Valley. I'm expecting it to get very messy very quickly.

38. Have you packed a spare liver?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.