1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

What are we drinking this weekend?

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by CwrwAmByth, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. More Kernel action ... new one for me first up 'India Brown Ale' @ 5.6%.

2. I don't want to hear of their beauty now they aren't taking a ride under the chunnel :cool:

3. I had a pint of ESB at the spoons in twickers last season. First time I'd had it maybe 7 or 8 years.
    I thought it was great stuff. You probably need to have it on cask tbh!

EmperorBevis likes this.
  4. That is where all the medals and awards it has won plastered over the bottle have come from then,
    Really needs to be bottle conditioned then, will give it another chance if I see it's pump clip.

5. Homebrew only for me tonight - couple of APAs, onto a coopers wheat and will finish with an Enkel

6. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I'll be rockin' some canned Upslope Pumpkin and some of my last GD Rumbles of the season.

7. I had a half pint of Rumble from the source when I was in Denver in June.

Tasty GD beers ............... drool

Zimbo likes this.
  8. After much reticence I am going to open this here J W lees governor. What does all malt mean? Please dont say it isnt hopped.

9. Celebrity beer - puts me off tbh!

10. Struise - Cuvee Delphine was beer 2 of the evening.
    Decent but I expected a little more!

Onto Mikkellers - Belgian Tripel.

Not sure why but not expecting too much from this ... hoping to be wrong!

11. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Currently on tour and somewhere in California, but most of the cast & crew are from the UK. I've been suggesting new beer for them since the tour started (as many have never been here), so I think this is the weekend I finally step back and ask them to order their UK favorites. Not sure what that'll end up being, but looking forward to it!

12. I've never ordered a UK beer in the US. Don't quite see the point if you live in the UK !!!

13. I've had a Westmorland ale (Sainsbury's) and am now on a Brooklyn Summer ale. I detect Nelson Sauvin....

I've had this - I'm sorry to say it's rather crap.

14. It is dull as dishwater. Though halfway thru cinnamon accidentally dropped in it and improved immensely as it added some flavour lol.

jazzyjeff13 and Ruds like this.
  15. So you always carry 'cinnamon' on your person when drinking beer!?!

16. Cinnamon - Manchester's answer to dry-hopping.

Right, I'm now imbibing a Coniston Bluebird....

EmperorBevis likes this.
  17. Damn good choice with the salute to boat crashing :S
    I had before thought of adding elderflower cordial to the shit lagers that get dumped on me because I like beer as the bottle green bottle stuff does have a bit of a hop taste.

Wonder if there are any cinnamon beers?

18. Actually enjoying a Twats double century which is probably the best of my wonky beer selection.

19. I'm pretty sure there are some Xmas brews that go heavy on the cinnamon.

I've cracked a Great Divide Rumble - oaked IPA! Heavy stuff....

Zimbo likes this.
  20. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

I can. You've been thousands of miles from your family and home for months at a time...a familiar beer would probably sound pretty good to me in that situation. Different story for the more common 7-10 day vacation though, I suppose.

21. Had a couple of Southville Hops last night. OK but not exactly a heart or head stealer.

22. I see what you mean and yes I was comparing to a 2 week vacation.

That said, I doubt I'd come across any of the beers that I would miss from the UK over in the US, think Kernel, Windsor & Eton, Magic Rock, Marble, Buxton to name a few !

23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Marble is popping up in a few US based online stores but damn, the prices..

24. It's not particularly cheap over here, but I do live near the brewery if that will help in any way :)

25. Punk with a take away curry.

Bitterbill and Ruds like this.
  26. Green Jack Orange Wheat. Dark Star Summer Meltdown. Green Jack Ripper. More Green Jack Ripper. More Green Jack Ripper. Thornbridge Chiron.

Now back home. Punk. And I won't be drinking those eight bottles of Tesco American Double IPA That Isn't Really Hardcore At Five Quid For Four Bottles tonight. Not me. No siiree.

27. Will try to talk the missus into some St. Peter's Ruby Red Ale.

28. So far:
    Hawkshead Lakeland lager
    Oakham JHB
    Wold Top Scarborough Fair IPA (Sainsbury's beer hunt)

More to follow.....

29. jak3676

jak3676 Aficionado (115) Virginia Sep 1, 2010

Well, just came back from http://www.dasbestoktoberfest.com/washington-dc/show-info

Couple of decent beers, the whole 4oz at a time, vs 1L just seemed so wrong. (At least for someplace proclaiming that they're the best Okboverfest... *sigh*) And as much as I'd love to say that I found a new local favorite, I'm afraid Becks Oktoberfest was better than most. Still, it was a good time, glad a I wore my lederhosen. The wife looked particularly good in her dirndle too.

But for the moment, I'va back home and settling into a few Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfests

30. Another bottle of red wine. Like you do.

31. Not gonna lie - Scarborough Fair IPA was rather shit. Pity, as I like Wold Top.

I've just cracked a bomber of SN Southern Hemisphere Harvest - this is more like it! Hops! Deliciousness!

32. Alrighty.....SN Southern Hemisphere Harvest was superb. American IPAs FTW!

Rounding off the evening with a Lion Stout - mmmmmh......

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. Looks a decent line up of beers, although the best pair are in the top right corner of the poster ;)

I've never been to Oktoberfest and of all the beer things one can do in a lifetime this simply doesn't sit highly for me.

6 brewers with a couple of beers each of similar style with a load of pissed up students/tourists.

Fly me over to DC anyday!

34. Bitterbill

I had some Thai green curry with shrimp yesterday and a pint of Odell IPA. Not a good match but I hadn't had the Odell on draught for ages.

35. Bitterbill

I love those NZ hops!

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  36. Tesco American Double IPA. It's not quite what it was, maybe just chemically castrated rather than the full rings-and-pliers. But it's 4 bottles for 5 pounds. It's Sunday. It gets the job done.

37. I
    I've had this and was distinctly underwhelmed-had beer of half the strength that blow it away.
    The Governor I tried last year in Marco PW's pub in Norfolk. Whatever they call it it's distinctly a light mild and a bland one at that. But I managed a couple of pints of Elgood's Black Dog with my Sunday roast at the Duck in Stanhoe. Nothing touches a good mild for accompanying food.( It's the only beer which matches curry to perfection.)

38. Winding down the weekend as the sun sets (not that I can see it through the pissy rain clouds!) with a Kernel Pale Ale Columbus. They can do no wrong !

39. Well, you're entitled to your opinion. You're obviously wrong, but that's the way the crumble cookies ;-)

BTW - Marquis of Granby is a damn fine pub. I shall be there on Saturday with a dozen massively-unhinged idiots wearing Hawaiian shirts and corpse face paint. Feel free to drop by. If there's a mild on, I'll buy you a pint.

40. It's a craft beer didn't you know, and brewed by those Scottish upstarts - how could he admit he liked it even if he did ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.