1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What are your feelings on the amount of readily accesible craft lagers vs ales?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Jan 17, 2013.

?

What are your feelings on the amount of readily accesible craft lagers vs ales?

1. I wish there were no craft lagers! All ales, all the time!

3.4%
  2. I am fine with the amount of lagers I have access to.

33.9%
  3. I wish there were more lagers available, but I am still mainly an ale girl/guy

46.0%
  4. I wish it was an even 50/50 split between ales and lagers

14.9%
  5. I wish lagers dominated and ales just had a little section at the end of the aisle

1.7%
  1. Food makes things more complicated as available ingredients and cooking methods have a big impact, but I can see what you mean. I definitely agree with your last two sentences.

Now, about this thesis. Let's do the year of reverse drinking. Day at the beach? Kentucky Breakfast Stout out of the bottle. Return home to the fireplace after ice-fishing? 16 oz. can of Bitburger (I'd actually be totally onboard for that).
  2. After traveling to germany(berlin) and having some excellent fresh helles lagers...

Helles yes I want more lagers.
  3. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

We should just...drink a lager and a stout everyday year round and report our level of satisfaction. And as a control, we should drink a more neutral beer like an amber or brown also. For the sake of science!
    Providence likes this.
  4. There are many ales that are faux pilsners. Cream ale, Koelsch, Blonde ale, etc. In the UK there are some very nice summer bitters that almost look like Pilsners.

In the winter one can drink a doppelbock, a Rauchbier, or a Baltic Porter (many are bottom fermented) to get that dark and hearty thing going.
  5. Hey Brewers take note, as of this moment 67.6% of the responders to this thread want some kind of increase, even if only slightly, in the amount of available lagers.

Holla at statistics!
    darknova306 likes this.
  6. Of course, science is always the priority.;)
  7. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Victory Prima Pils is my new hotness.
  8. Never been one to discriminate-
    I'll choose what I like regardless of category-
    Lucky for me there are no boundaries- :)
  9. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

I think pale lager beer for most people is associated with less formality and a more laid back attitude compared to an ale (unless you live in a country with an ale culture intact, such as Great Britain where ales are more equal in standing to pale lager in general society). The summer is equally associatied with informal and laidback living, which makes pale lager beer associate well with summer.

Then again in Sweden we have a tradition of brewing yule beers, a tradition which has been transformed into brewing dark lagers for yule since the 1800s. Though the style is generally not specified in common speech beyond being called julöl and I'm not sure if most people would know that they are actually lagers (or know what a lager is as opposed to an ale for that matter). Once pilsners were introduced this meant that there was a stark contrast in color inbetween yule beers and pilsners, as well as them being stronger and sweeter than the pilsner or the darker bavarian lager beers. So stronger, sweeter, darker beers for winter time, and lighter, drier, paler beers for the rest of the year.

Additionally pale lagers, or pilsners, are probably associated more strongly with being served cold. More so than ales (with the common stereotype of "British beer", or ale, being served "warm"). Cold and summer go together like hot and winter.
  10. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Hill Farmstead just released a Pils. I hope it's still around next month when I head up there. I'm very anxious to try their first lager.
  11. Do your taste buds prefer lagers and ales equally?
  12. Indeed, my taste buds are quite indiscriminate and certainly not limited by category.
  13. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,040) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

I have become more of an Ale lover, due to the lack of of quality Lagers in my area. Some times it's a crap shoot to find quality imports here in BFE ( NE Oklahoma ) & there's not a ton of local brewers carrying that flag here. I would sat Schaflly, Boulevard & Marshall do a good job. Love me some bocks & dopples, but they are rareish around here. The 2 States that impress me are PA & Wisconsin. & Bavaria :D
  14. I don't discriminate when it comes to beer for the most part. it would be nice to have access to some american craft lagers that didn't taste like boiled corn!
    darknova306 likes this.
  15. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

My sentiments are pretty much the same.
  16. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

I love beer. I love variety in beer. The more styles the better, and there a lot of great lager styles. Hopefully with all the brewery expansions happening out there, we'll get to see more craft breweries representing this woefully under-respected group of beer styles.

A properly made Helles Lager is spectacular thing. Give me a litre of that and I'm a happy man.
  17. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Draft only, yep.
  18. Almost every craft brewery in BC has a lager in their lineup so we have good on both sides though I wish the lagers used a little more hops.
  19. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I never really thought about it much. I just drink more ale because of its greater availability.I consider myself to be an eclectic drinker. I like all different styles from all countries from all price ranges and qualities. I love a fine Belgian Ale such as Urthel Samaranth but can also enjoy Molson XXX, which I have two cans of in the fridge right now.

I recently had two very cheap lagers, namely Narragansett and Simple Times Pilsner, both of which were decent, the latter having more flavor. I really liked Schlitz Gusto which unfortunately is not widely available where I'm from. Considering its cheap price and drinkability, I'd buy a case of it if I can find it.

I also like various Euro Strong Lagers and some American Malt Liquors. Bocks and Dopplebocks for some reason tend to be hit or miss for me. I find that some of them have a strange sourish taste to them. I heard they tend to spoil easily?

Aventinus and Kulmbacher Eisbocks are awesome.

Sam Adams Noble Pils is great and I remember liking Alpine Spring a lot as well.
  20. So then it sounds like your answer to my poll question is that you would want to an equal balance of lagers and ales available, yes?
  21. So, so sad.
  22. Yes, I failed to mention that the 2nd option on your poll was my very best answer [given the parameters]
    I'll note that Lakefronts' "Holiday Spice" lager was completely unavailable in my area this past season and that "my good man" was very disapponiting.
    Providence likes this.
  23. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (380) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Popping in for my mandatory, "I'm from the Lager-centric Midwest, and I love it!" post!

Take a trip to Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Pennsylvania and reap the bounty of Central European immigration!
    (I've had good lagers from Texas on account of this, too)

Capital, Lakefront, and New Glarus are my favorite Lager houses.
    Capital are MASTERS of lagers, but the craft fan base is a bit biases AGAINST lagers :/

Capital's bocks are nuts. Their Maibock is a reason for seasonal celebration for me!
    Lakefront makes some SMOOTH lagers! Their Pumpkin lager is what makes Autumn complete for me!
    New Glarus does no wrong. Totally Naked is STUNNING in it's refinement.
    Someone mentioned Schell. Holy hell, their Emerald Rye lager is simply...PERFECT.
    That has really become my go-to bier for drinking.

If learned living out West, you can't trust a lager outside of the Midwest.

I like ales and lagers equally, but there is something special about enjoying the local heritage!
    (Can I still claim that when I'm having a 60IBU hopped rye lager? hahaha)
  24. Quality local Maibocks would be a dream come true for me.
  25. TheSSG

TheSSG Savant (380) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Yeah, Capital's lagers are often even better than ones from Germany.
    They are truly amazing.

To make you more jealous:
    Lakefront releases an IMPERIAL MAIBOCK (The Big Easy) for Lent Season!

Now, to be constructive:
    Lakefront has started widely distributing their seasonals.
    Find a local distributor and ask them to get you some of their "Big Easy."

Then, roll around in bier bliss for a few weeks!
  26. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Not to be a homer, but Chicago's Metropolitan Brewing makes three fine year round lagers that are regularly in my fridge. Each is a great example of what has been mentioned before about the charms of a well made lager: the quality of the ingredients and their skillful combination producing a clean, subtle, refreshing adult beverage.
  27. I wish I had access to more doppelbocks.
  28. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

I like a good Lager as much as any other beer.
    drtth likes this.
  29. Strafefire

Strafefire Aspirant (25) Jan 27, 2013

Lagers: Pilsner, Helles, Vienna, Dortmunder, Dortmunder Export, Dunkel, Shwarzbier, bock, doppelbock, eisbock, rauchbier, Keller (yes yes...top fermented but also lagered, its the Rocky Horror of the beer world)

Lager styles are actually fairly larger and cover a more varied taste profile than orthodox ale heads think, from the crisp bite of a pilsner, the more malty depth of a sexy Vienna style, to the quite frankly despicably tasty roasted espresso and burnt sugar of a schwarz. As a form, lagers are not as one dimensional as they first appear.

You also have all that adjunct baldercrap like that ridiculous Desperados, but lager still has options for interpretation :)
  30. Kellerbier is bottom fermented. At least the ones I know. Served young, so you get a nice yeast bite.
  31. Strafefire

Strafefire Aspirant (25) Jan 27, 2013

Woops, double checked my facts then, can be both apparently, its like the duct tape of beers, fits the job anywhere!
  32. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

There are a few lagers that I enjoy, but they are really just not my style.
  33. I can see where the definition, unbunged and unfiltered, could allow it to be a top fermenting beer. I have never come across a top fermented Kellerbier in my travels in Germany. Do you have any examples?

There could be faux Kellerbiers brewed in the US, but the Kellerbier I have had here was bottom fermented and brewed by a guy who had went to brewing school in Germany.
  34. Every US craft brewed Kellerbier that I have ever had was a lager.

Cheers!
  35. malty

malty Savant (415) Michigan Dec 16, 2003

Six Point 'The Crisp' gave more hope to popularizing Lagers in an over dominant ale market, IMHO.
  36. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

This is where it starts to gets fuzzy for me because I think The Crisp and even Victory's Prima Pils are just not that good.
    herrburgess likes this.