What are your go to beers this summer?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by WilderPegasus, Jun 8, 2013.

1. I'm looking to spend a lot of time at the cottage this summer so price is a consideration and these are the beers I'm planning to drink the most:

Boreale IPA
    Blonde de Chambly
    Nickel Brook Naughty Neighbour
    Great Lakes Crazy Canuck
    Muskoka Summer Weiss

What are your go to beers going to be this summer?

2. Bowen Island IPA or maybe Cariboo IPA for the cheap sixer. Powell IPA by Coal Harbour. Growlers of Old Jalopy PA by Powell ST Brewing and probably Beachcomber Wheat by Vancouver Island.

3. It will be between Corne du Diable from Dieu du Ciel and La Ciboire from Archibald.

Cheers,
    Eric

4. Founders Centennial (we're about due for a new batch in Ontario....right?)
    Grand River Curmudgeon

Whatever Beyond The Pale has, hoping Naughty Neighbour impresses...otherwise, I can't seem to stick to any "go to" beers.

5. The problem with BtP is that they don't open until noon Friday and I'm hoping to be out of town most of the summer by that time. They really should do a Thursday to Saturday schedule in the summer.

If Naughty Neighbour is anywhere close to as good in the bottle as it is on tap, it'll be the best pale ale available in Ontario. And at below 5%, perfect for days on the beach in the sun.

6. Well since Beau's doubled BTP's capacity, I think they're planning to be open Thursday-Sunday now.

7. Just can't seem to get enough of Muskoka Brewery ,Mad Tom IPA .On saying that i am now just about to down a LA FIN DU MONDE .Not quite the end the world it taste's wonderful .:)

8. Just had a bottle of Parallel 49's Banana Hammock and really liked it - reminiscent of a better balanced King Heffy (and I love King Heffy), will be picking up a few more I think. Looking forward to the upcoming Numbskull IIPA release from Lighthouse, too - tried some of that on cask recently and was very impressed. Ever since switchback their IPAs have been just fantastic.

I'll probably be keeping a regular stock of Tofino's Dawn Patrol too - maybe not a typical summer style but Vancouver summers are rarely typical either.

Those just arrived earlier this week in my local, along with the imperials version. Will have to check them out!

canucklehead and steofwinnipeg like this.
  9. Sn Summerfest

10. hoser

hoser Savant (390) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

Lots of stuff but lots of La Pitoune from Le Trou du Diable.

ZorPrime likes this.
  11. Dunham Black IPA, Castor Yakima, Solstice d'ete off the top of my head.

12. Would love to have Mad Tom in BC along with Flying Monkey

13. Mad Tom IPA & Twice as Mad Tom are both in stock at legacy liquor store right now (and probably in others too) - Flying Monkey, not so much sadly unless you count their central city collaboration ale, which was pretty good and still around in brewery creek.

14. cool about the Mad Tom . I am going to grab some

15. The case of Heady I brought back last week should last me awhile.

Rutager likes this.
  16. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

Trying to drink mostly new beers this summer. Avoiding the usual staples.

17. I'm a huge fan of Muskoka's Mad Tom and especially saving $8.45 by picking up a 24 at The Beer Store instead of 4x 6's at the LCBO... although a "session" version with half the alcohol and all the flavour would definitely get my vote.
    In that vein have also been drinking a lot of Naughty Neighbour and Miami Weiss recently.

18. I had a Powell Street Dive Bomb Porter today at the Alibi and found it to be a lighter porter that was packed with lots of flavour and just right for the warm weather or what passes for summer in these parts.

I need to get a couple growler of it because I think I like it more then their pale ale.

19. McTinman

McTinman Initiate (5) Jul 21, 2013

In order mine are:

Spearhead Hawaiian style PA do yourself a favour and try this!!!!!!!! you will thank me.
    Mad tom IPA
    Sam Adams lattitude IPA - hopology
    Keith's cascade hop series

20. Red Racer IPA!

Rutager and FondueVoodoo like this.
  21. Digging the flavor & simplicity of DDC`s Elixir Celeste.

hoser likes this.
  22. Mad Tom and the double is available at Firefly in Maple Ridge...bought some last week.

My 'go to' this summer has been Phillip's BottleRocket in a can. Love it!

23. Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier
    Propeller Pilsener and Pale Ale
    Picaroons Blonde Ale

24. Drinking mainly some Crazy Canucks pale ale, imo one of the best and most underrated beers from Ontario, with a light, refreshing mouthfeel yet an abundance of hops. Also drinking tons of Pilsner Urquell, Cantillon Saint-Gilloise, vigneronne, and geuze bio, girardin black label, lindeman's cuvée René, Saison Dupont, DDC's Élixir céleste, and Boon's mariage parfait. Also picked many Kismeyer's northern pale ale brewed at Beau's while I was there. Not outstanding, but well done and great during summer days.

25. Alley Kat's Dragon series is pretty good... mighty expensive though.

26. It's been Blanche de Chambly mostly, but I have been drinking more of Mad & Noisy's Sunny & Share Citrus Saison. I keep coming back to Creemore' Kellerbeir. Other than that I try every Saison I can find.

27. Apparently Wellington has some mixed 24 pack of cans if you go to the brewery. Given the Ti-Cat games are in Guelph this year, that's likely going to be my next go to.

28. Thanks to Muskoka for bringing the first real IPA to Newfoundland (the NLC tells me Keiths is a IPA, why don't I believe them?). Loving the Mad Tom. I hope Muskoka sells a million of them.

hopsolutely likes this.
  29. Mad Toms is at the Government store at 8th and Cambie for about 11.35 a six. Also don't miss the 4 pack of bombers from Ninkassi at the front of the store . $18 for 4 and two hard to get seasonals inside.

30. I dunno, quite a few nice beers came out this summer in the Vancouver area:

- Driftwood's Naughty Hildegarde is really damn drinkable and probably the best ESB I've had, maybe.
    - Parallel 49 released a Berliner-Weisse called Lil' Red, which is really (really) easy drinking, especially if you're acclimatized to sour(ish) beers, and it's below 5% ABV. I solo-ed a growler of it in like an hour and a half.
    - Parallel 49 also released a hefeweizen this month, which is again really easy drinking. In my BA review I said it was probably the best hefe out of BC, something which might be disputed by other people. The bottom line is that it's a pretty crisp, smooth, flavorful hefeweizen, which goes down like water on hot days.
    - Also, despite somewhat lukewarm reviews on BA, I have to say I've been drinking an inordinate amount of Lighthouse 3 Weeds. It's a really nice wit, in my opinion -- it's surprisingly crisp given its 7+% ABV, and really drinkable. I think the only times I've found it a bit meh is after having hoppier beers before it, which would make it taste really sweet and malty. I guess if you drink IPAs like you drink water, maybe stay away from this.

I've tried Mad Tom and Twice as Mad from Brewery Creek and I found them kinda malty and not nearly as amazing as everyone else has been proclaiming them to be. Am I crazy? Did I try old batches or something? By comparison, I drink Fat Tug on an almost daily basis now and I enjoy every single bottle. Can anyone who's had Fat Tug and Mad Tom/Twice as Mad weigh in on this? Twice as Mad did seem better than Mad Tom, I guess.

31. They both seem to fall off rather quick. I've been a bit surprised to read BC folk have been so pleased with TAM as I figured it wouldn't be anywhere near fresh by the time it got out there, but I have no idea really. Even after contacting Muskoka about it, I'm not even sure what the "Best Before" date implies, whether it's 4 months, 6 months, etc. TAM at it's best, should not be overly malty, though it is nicely balanced.

32. Fat tug, imo, is indeed way better than Mad Tom or Twice as mad Tom. I also feel like these muskoka IPA are too malt forward, at least, according to my taste.

33. I tried them fairly recently and didn't find them anything to write home about either. The Mad Tom I had was I think fresher than the twice as mad, which although sweeter had less going on flavour wise. I enjoyed them both but would absolutely pick up a Red Racer IPA or Fat Tug over them.

My standout IPA of the summer has been 8 Wire Fresh Hopwired, which Legacy got an awful lot of recently. The original was good, but this wet hopped one is absolutely delicious. Strong recommendation from me!

34. I've drank a heck of a lot of Driftwood Farmhand saison this summer.

35. In no particular order:
    Crosswind Pale Ale
    Arkell Bitter
    Hofbrau Original
    10 Bitter Years
    Schneider Weisse Hopfenweisse
    Cameron's Rye Pale Ale
    Alexander Keith's Hallertauer Hop Ale
    La Shawinigan Handshake

36. Kichessipi Blonde
    Naughty Neighbour
    Saison Dupont

37. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (650) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

Nickelbrook Headstock IPA. That stuff is better than Ontarians realize.

Though if I had drunk it earlier in my visit, the Sawdust City IPA might have taken over the lead roll. That stuff is all over good. Ontario pickin' up the pace.

Jeff