1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer are you drinking now? #103

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DerrickW, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerrickW

DerrickW Advocate (510) Georgia Jan 17, 2013

[​IMG]

Mine on the left, lady's on the right. Hoppy Thursday everyone!
  2. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    JxExM, WYVYRN527, Maction and 14 others like this.
  3. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

This has been a pretty good trade week for me. Heady Topper, Flower Power, and Double Jack came in yesterday. Had the Heady Topper - truly a delicious beer.

Today I have a Cantillon Kriek and a 2012 Dark Lord coming. Plus, a fridge full of Hopslam. I have no idea what I'm going to open tonight!
    hwy395, JxExM, creepinjeeper and 13 others like this.
  4. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I attended an IPA tasting last night at a friends house. Going off memory here's a couple of the ones we tried:
    PtE
    Heady
    A friends homebrew
    Lags Sucks
    Widmer Nelson
    DFH 90
    DFH 60
    DFH BB
    Boulevard Double Wide
    OB DPA
    West Sixth
    ....and a bunch of others I can't remember at the moment. In order to stay sober, I was tasting and dumping which was totally driving one of the other guys nuts...."dude, how can you dump that beer???? It's making me sick to watch that....." I stayed sober through the evening.....later on, he fell down with a beer in his hand and hit his head on the cabinet door. My answer to his question is of course "Dude....cause I don't want to fall down and make a dumb ass of myself."
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Instead of dumping, maybe just take smaller pours?
    akuczero, tectactoe, ant880 and 14 others like this.
  6. tectactoe

Or at least the "swish & spit" to get something out of it.
    Schwantz and skinsfan like this.
  7. That's what she said.
  8. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

Oh, I was tasting but wasn't going to down what was in the glass each time. There were 4 of us and about 15 beers (around 170 oz total)....too much to consume in that short period of time. The Heady and PtE we did polish off but many of the others had left over in the bottles that got drained at the end of the evening.
  9. gtermi

You and your lady have a great taste in beer! Cheer man
  10. gtermi

This is what I have had to drink today.

[​IMG]

and listening to

cjoc83, JLebowski, fmccormi and 10 others like this.
  11. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Pop that Kriek! Hayden would want you to
  12. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

had a good night of tasting last night. Hopslam, GI BCBS, and GI BCBS cherry rye. Have to say all were equally good.
    tectactoe likes this.
  13. tectactoe

Haha, anything for her.... Pretty excited about finally getting to try something from Cantillon. Sours, lambics, and gueuze are beers I've been trying to get into, but aside from Lindeman's, it's hard to find stuff around here x_x
  14. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Another day at home with the kid, not letting it go to waste. :)

[​IMG]
    egrace84, JxExM, xxcarpxx and 13 others like this.
  15. Thats pretty much unconscionable to pour most of those out. I would have been there going crazy too. No, I would have drank whatever was about to be poured out. Next time plan your tastings better. Such a waste
  16. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Was thinking similarly - taste fewer and enjoy more maybe seems like a plan.

Sadly, t'will be a beerless night for me tonight...:(

At least I can see what everybody else is drinkin'....grrrrr....
  17. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

His beer to do with as he likes. Doesn't sound like anyone else was lacking their share.
  18. you're right. I'm gonna go buy a case of Hopslam and take pictures of me pouring it all out
    Squidly and FUNKPhD like this.
  19. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Your intent makes it different.
  20. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!! The standard edition was one of the best beers I had in 2012!!
    Drew26 and gatornation like this.
  21. I mean pouring it into my stomach
    JxExM, Squidly and FUNKPhD like this.
  22. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (395) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

Should of went 50/50 for some black and tan's with those two!
  23. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Figured I would have a nice warm up before I go out and clear the snow from the driveway. BUT... I've been up since 1:30am, so this might put me down for a nap first... ;)
    [​IMG]
    JxExM, beerloserLI, skinsfan and 23 others like this.
  24. Because why not! Now to get back to my SNES Zelda 3 goodness

[​IMG]
  25. If they really weren't going to be consumed, there are plenty of ways to recap/seal, etc a beer so that it can be consumed the next day. What I do is, when removing the cap, be careful to not damage. Then, when I am finished with the bottle for the night, I put a ziploc bag on the mouth of the bottle, and press the cap back over that. Works great.
  26. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Two great beers at different ends of the price scale,enjoy and cheers.I have crack the sister beer of Chocolate stout in the form of Monster Ale.
  27. WoodburyMN

WoodburyMN Savant (340) Indiana Aug 5, 2012

Three Floyds Gumballhead
  28. Am I reading this right??? Staying sober at a tasting? I mean falling over is one thing, but staying sober?? Why drink? Hope you at least swallowed.
    surge1311 and danedelman like this.
  29. Nothing until later but it'll be a combo between 3beans, Sucks, Nugget Nectar and now Hopslam. This is the first time since I've been into craft beer where I've solely been drinking 3/4 of the same beer for over three weeks straight but I can't help it!
    skinsfan, creepinjeeper and Squidly like this.
  30. Fresh La Debut Du Monde

[​IMG]
    JxExM, Maction, Squidly and 2 others like this.
  31. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This is probably the earliest I've ever checked in here. At lunch had a local St. George Winter Scotch Ale. Not bad after the frost from the mug melted and the beer got above freezing.

[​IMG]

Cheers!
    azdback, JxExM, skinsfan and 17 others like this.
  32. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

Ten fidy on tap
    [​IMG]
  33. I think I need to start being ISO your beer. Looks fantastic.
    JxExM likes this.
  34. Now a dunkelweizen. Yummy!!

[​IMG]
    JxExM likes this.
  35. Aguirre

Aguirre Aficionado (185) Missouri Jan 24, 2009

I took January off from all alcohol (as well as gluten) to lose a few pounds and "reset" my beer habits. Tomorrow I'm going to ease back in slowly with a couple of bluebird bitters, I can't wait!!
  36. This one I didn't learn and poured the yeast dregs in too. Tastes similar to a Westmalle Tripel. A bit much for lunch but will quit for a few hours. Then have a Homebrew meeting tonight at Black and Blue beer bar. Would love to do a side by side blind taste test.
  37. When will they learn that frosted mugs are not good? Haha. I went to a buddies house who likes better beer and he gave me a frosted mug. I took it and let it sit for an hour before sipping on it. Didn't want to rain on his parade. He now brews with me and I am learning him right;).
    creepinjeeper and Hanzo like this.
  38. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

Woke up late. Waiting for a food delivery. This beer is fantastic i could start every morning with one.

[​IMG]
    kirkse, JxExM, Mcal and 12 others like this.
  39. dckepley

dckepley Savant (310) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

Took the dog out for some exercise in the 18 below wind chill and smoked a cigar while doing so. Now I'm going to warm up with a Thursday afternoon Big Bad Baptist (release #8). I've been waiting patiently to crack this one open! Now it's time. Cheers!!
    denver10 likes this.
  40. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Advocate (585) Illinois Apr 29, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.