1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer are you drinking now? #118

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lare453, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (760) Florida Feb 1, 2012

2. beerserks

beerserks Savant (290) Texas Oct 19, 2010

Got off work at midnight and went to the bar with the lady friend for a little bit and had a couple NB Ranger IPAs(that was the best they had on tap). Came home and now enjoying a couple of these:
    [​IMG]
    Cheers everyone!!
  3. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

4. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

[​IMG]

my reward early this morning after getting my first -

[​IMG]
  5. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

At my buddies house last night, he got some of this in the mail.... Hopefully he'll share one (or six) with me :)
    [​IMG]
  6. mecmd

mecmd Advocate (610) Georgia Jan 7, 2012

A couple of these very late last night after getting off work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers everyone. Have a great weekend.
  7. Zimm

Zimm Savant (485) New Jersey May 18, 2012

[​IMG]

Benefits of being a teacher. Off for Presdients weekend!

Founders Breakfast Stout with a nice egg and cheese sandwich!
  8. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

Took the day off for my birthday today so I figured I'd get a jump start on the night. What else would I drink today! (I like to think it was made especially for me). Second glass is for my twin sister. Cheers all

[​IMG]
  9. Zimm

Zimm Savant (485) New Jersey May 18, 2012

Happy birthday dude!
  10. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

[​IMG]
    I thought this might be of interest to some on here. This is an example of how the Swedish macro companies are getting "crafty" in the face of increasing sales of imported craft beer, primarily American such. Spendrups which is the second largest brewer (behind the Swedish division of Carlsberg) created a separate brand, Pistonhead, under the pretend brewing name "Brutal Brewing" in 2010 and managed to get several product launches into the monopoly stores (the only retail channels for beer above 3.5% in Sweden) since then. This is one of their current offerings available in about half of the some 400 monopoly stores in Sweden. It's a pale lager, using only pilsner malt, and using Cascade and Amarillo hops for late hopping and dry hopping (I'm assuming they are using a German hop for the first hop addition to boost the bitterness, their normal range of lagers makes use of hop extract and German hop pellets). It sits at 4,9% abv and has 33IBU with a nice bitterness and a distinct citrusy taste from the American hops used. Spendrups is obviously a lager brewery which brews according to the basic interpretation of the reinheitsgebot, meaning no adjuncts. But this is their response to the challenge from the craft breweries by combining their lager brewing, pale malts and relatively low abv (5% or below for the Pistonhead range), with American hops and some more unconventional label designs to get your attention.

I think it works really well if you want a lager with a decent bitterness (33IBU, similar to a modern day German pilsner compared to most Swedish lagers which are around 20 IBUs) with a rather dry malt body and a nice American hop note (nothing like an American IPA but more along the lines of a Samuel Adams Boston Lager or Brooklyn Lager, only with a juicy American hop bouqet instead of a European floral such). They are definitely on to something here. I've been reading about Budweiser Black Crown and I can't help but compare it and contrast it (and other similar attempts by the big American breweries) against what's going on over here. The same dynamic is obviously at work, but in my opinion the Swedish brewers have come up with a more effective response to the challenge from craft beer than their American counter-parts. They seem to be prepared to push the boundaries a bit more, perhaps due to different starting points (the mainstream American beer being an adjunct lager of 12IBUs and the mainstream Swedish beer being an all-malt lager with 20+IBUs).
  11. Happy Birthday!

Turns out it's my birthday today too! I took the day off work. I had a Widmer Old Embalmer for breakfast, and now my brother and I are heading to World of Beer Raleigh to spend an afternoon working through the taps!
    creepinjeeper, 19etz55, Zimm and 5 others like this.
  12. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

Hungry on the way home from court. Sonoma burger and duck fat fries. Southern Star Old Potentate.

[​IMG]
  13. cproioi

cproioi Savant (315) Ohio Apr 6, 2006

Mexican coke right now. Got a lil too tipsy last night and trying to work off a bourbon hangover.
    Zaphog likes this.
  14. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (575) Texas Dec 28, 2012

Too early for a Breakfast Stout? Don't think so

[​IMG]
  15. Pando

Happy Birthday brother and have one for me!
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  16. Lare453

What video game is that?
    PaulQuinn likes this.
  17. Pando

Moving onto this. Very good beer. Thanks Hanzo!

[​IMG]
  18. semaj

semaj Savant (250) Florida Jan 18, 2013

About to start my first Ten Fidy. Although usually a hophead, I have begun to enjoy RIS more and I can't wait.
  19. T-RO

T-RO Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

45 degrees in NH, more snow tomorrow, first run in a month, I'll take it. Hell, even try an organic beer!

[​IMG]
  20. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

[​IMG]
    Thought this would be a good accompanyment to my goodcents. Unfortunately, it tasted like a BMC product to me. I won't say that it was awful, but a disappointment for sure in comparison to all the other brews from this brewery. Scratch this recipe and start over.
    bstyle, 19etz55 and Bitter_Echo like this.
  21. Three Floyds Dreadnaught for $5 a pint at a local establishment.... hard to beat that when that is less per ounce then a bomber and I know it is fresh!
  22. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

Short's Aorta Ale (so fresh and so delicious!)
    [​IMG]

Odd Side Citra Pale Ale
    [​IMG]

Arcadia Imperial Stout firkin
    [​IMG]
  23. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

[​IMG]
    Peg's GOOD RareR DOS - Rum Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

Thanks Jim! #LNBA4Life Cheers!
  24. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

[​IMG]

Served at 35*, let it warm up to slightly below room temp. Cinnamon is AMAZING. I was worried it wouldn't be as delicious as FoBAB, but I was wrong again. World class. Remember folks:

jbuddle, sleuthdog, tolar111 and 6 others like this.
  25. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

Having an Arbor Buzzsaw IPA w/ my boy Blue.
    [​IMG]
    djl9701, WesM63, MichPaul and 19 others like this.
  26. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

Not a video game. Bowling Screen.
  27. Lare453

I know bro, look at all those chickens you got in one game! Great job!
  28. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (950) Maine Sep 17, 2005

What could be better?
    I've started vacation, having lunch at When Pigs Fly.
    I'm drinking Bourbon County Brand Stout and eating crisp brussels sprouts and potato wedges.
    This is one of the premier imperial stouts.[​IMG]
  29. [​IMG]

Two Hearted and corned beef before class tonight.
    Should make Friday night class a bit more bearable.
  30. [​IMG]

I just realized I dont have much beer in the ofgice.
    This one is past its prime but it will do
  31. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (615) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

Finishing my last bottle of Bridgeport Hop Czar while I think about what to eat for lunch..
  32. [​IMG]

The weekend starts with this.
    hagbergl, MichPaul, WYVYRN527 and 8 others like this.
  33. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

First beer out of my new Dogfish Head IPA glass.

[​IMG]
  34. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (305) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

wow is that for real, congrats
  35. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

[​IMG]

This is the last Surly in the most recent box from my main Minnesota guy Ryan. Thanks again, dude.

Listening to:

Cheers and happy weekend, LNBA!
  36. davesway10

davesway10 Savant (490) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

I've been sitting on this one for some time now. Having heard nothing but good I decided it was time. Reminds me of The Abyss somewhat, very nice.
    [​IMG]
  37. Congrats!
    bdonley5 likes this.
  38. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (305) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

literally just picked this up today, glad to hear its going down well, excited to crack mine open
  39. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (350) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

Last night for Vday I opened a White Chocolate, Chocolate Rain and a My Bloody Valentine. Tonight will be a Kern River Just Outstanding IPA and Karl Strauss Wreck Alley thanks to sdpaul !!
  40. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

So freaking good!
    [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.