1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer are you drinking now? #124

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DerrickW, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinMc79

KevinMc79 Aficionado (240) Illinois Oct 29, 2008

2. Reminds me that I have a Night Stalker that I brought home from Xmas in Chicago with the in-laws. I haven't had it in two years at least.
    texasdrugaddict and chanokokoro like this.
  3. 18th Street Brewery "Sinister" DIPA.
    It has a skull and a snake on the label and there were no back rubs involved.
  4. alelover

alelover Advocate (560) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

5. Third and night cap.

[​IMG]

Goodnight BA!
  6. superspak

superspak Champion (850) Michigan May 5, 2010

It appears that you didnt swirl and top it off though. There is seriously a noticeable difference when you add the sediment. An amazing result. Cheers, one of my favorite beers for a session.
  7. I've had this glass for two weeks now, and this is the first time I've used it properly.

[​IMG]
  8. Jaycase

Jaycase Advocate (690) Illinois Jan 13, 2007

I cracked this the other day, and you were right, it's tremendous. Trying to find more...
  9. Cotchept

Cotchept Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 14, 2013

10. just got back from dinner and had 2 fine ipa's on tap

wipeout
    sculpin
  11. st9647v3

st9647v3 Advocate (645) New Jersey Dec 28, 2011

This is all she wrote...

[​IMG]

Goodnight!
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  12. BillMC518

BillMC518 Aspirant (30) New York Feb 20, 2013

Ithaca Flower Power.. On my last one.. :(
    RonfromJersey and mecmd like this.
  13. I traded away all the extra I had but if I come across more I will send you a BM.
    Jaycase likes this.
  14. moving on to Marble IPA
    [​IMG]

.'scuse me there's somethin' in my eyes...
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  15. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (825) Texas Aug 15, 2010

[​IMG]

Boy, this is the third Almanac beer I've tried and I have to say I'm really not impressed with them. Moving on to a Budweiser Black Crown - acquired at a grocery store with a coupon.
  16. Worth the drive? You're from San Diego! That being said,do you know if it is still available? I'm ready to drive from Orange County.
    Mercury4040 likes this.
  17. Hell, we're spoiled with all the great breweries in the area... a 30 min drive is saying something :D. Doubt if they still have bottles but pretty sure they have it on tap in the brew pub.
  18. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (315) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Well the storm is in full "rager" mode, cant wait to clean my car off tomorrow morning... I'm off to la-la land with a nice warm buzz. Talk to you all tomorrow
    chanokokoro likes this.
  19. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I've never had a fresh/fresher bottle of one, but I really enjoyed the year+ ones I've had. Last one was about 2 years old, real thick smooth and chocolatly.
  20. mark99

mark99 Aficionado (195) New York Mar 10, 2010

Not a beer but a beautiful scotch, took me off guard.

[​IMG]

And after sipping on some Pappy Van Winkle family reserve Rye, Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old and A.H.Hirsch 16 year old, the Dalmore Mackenzie just left me speechless.
    looseteeth, Pahn, WYVYRN527 and 2 others like this.
  21. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I had the 2010 vintage on tap at the GI Clybourn Brewpub at the end of November and it was very enjoyable. I should have stated this beer is a bit "meh" fresh. I would certainly recommend aging this beer.
    stayclean likes this.
  22. [​IMG]

Scotch ales have become a favorite for me, and this one is exceptional, as always. I was initially resistant to the style until I left a Founders Dirty Bastard in the fridge for a year, cracked it, and tasted some cherry-like, malty greatness.

What a band:

SWChi, alelover, superspak and 6 others like this.
  23. had a few 60 minutes out at the bar, came home and had this before bed.

[​IMG]
  24. [​IMG]
    Cheers! Amigos
    xxbillay and Pahn like this.
  25. Hone from work and I cracked a NN. Not fresh as its from early January but still good.

Up next some firestone double jack left over from the growler the other night. Pretty sure it's flat.

It's my birthday so I am staying up late tonight and no work Friday.

Enjoy
    mymasterpiece75 likes this.
  26. chanokokoro

Great band and one of the better Scotch ales available, in my opinion.
    alelover and mymasterpiece75 like this.
  27. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (825) Texas Aug 15, 2010

[​IMG]

I could have used this a couple weeks ago when I had my cold. Just mix your cough medicine in and be astounded by the lack of difference in taste.

Snark aside, this kind of blows.
  28. mecmd

mecmd Advocate (585) Georgia Jan 7, 2012

29. chanokokoro

Enjoying this year's release...

[​IMG]
    wyatt13, egrace84, match1112 and 8 others like this.
  30. Love the profile pic. I used to live down the street from Half Acre. Fresh growlers of Daisy Cutter and seasonals are highly missed.

As is Chicago. My wife and I plan to get back ASAP.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  31. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

nightstalker is basically the song on your favorite album that you don't listen to because every other song is amazing. you know it's better than everyone else's songs, but why listen to it when you could just skip ahead?

my thoughts on it were "yeah, GI makes great stouts... give me more than this." honestly, while it's good, it's sort of preposterous that they not only released but rebrewed it. redundant.
  32. These two couldn't be more different from one another:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Liefmans Cuvee Brut and Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine.
    FatBoyGotSwagger and WYVYRN527 like this.
  33. animal69

animal69 Advocate (570) Louisiana Sep 21, 2007

Listening to james browns "papas got a brand new bag" n drinkin SA new albion ale after a long shitty day at werk, got bitched at by everyone from my boss for listening to music by myself (wtf ?) to the bartender accusing me of drinkin a whole bottle of buff. trace in a week !
    Prosit !!!
    tolar111 likes this.
  34. valdieu2

valdieu2 Savant (320) Maine Feb 23, 2012

Stowaway IPA, Lunch 2/19/13 ( it didn't taste like it cost too much, but somebody will whine ) and a SNPA. That's a pretty good Thursday. Loved the Velvet Underground.
    Cheers
  35. Cool, thanks. I follow them on Facebook, but they said that they wouldn't give out the exact date that Exponential would be released because of overcrowding - oh well.

So here's to their expansion making it possible to get their product from only 110 miles away.
    Mercury4040 likes this.
  36. Bottled 2/13 so pretty fresh
    [​IMG]
    tectactoe likes this.
  37. Yeah, GI was always kind of meh for me for years until they started stouts and released BCBS (although I appreciate their Belgian-styles). People here in Houston, where GI just reached thanks to Big Brother, are going nuts in anticipation of Honkers and all of the other standards. Interesting looking in on that residual hype.
  38. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

39. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Finally back from my office on campus, after reading archaeological methods for a few hours (with a waffle break at Funk n Waffles, which anyone in Syracuse (plus Guy Fieri aficionados :-( )knows is the shit).

So, I'm now drinking some Captain Lawrence Captain's Reserve Imperial India Pale Ale, kind of as a belated birthday beer for myself.
    tectactoe likes this.
  40. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Sidenote, I was going to re-review this beer, but I'm not convinced this bottle is fresh enough to do it justice. Next time I can be reasonably sure that the bottle I've got is fresh-fresh, I'll write some new notes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.