1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer are you drinking now? #130

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DerrickW, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DerrickW

DerrickW Advocate (500) Georgia Jan 17, 2013

2. jb123

jb123 Savant (450) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

can really appreciate a morning beer! cheers!
  3. MoparGrease

MoparGrease Initiate (0) California Jul 26, 2012

You forgot the..... "What's in your glass" anyways Cheers!
    Hugonaut13 likes this.
  4. Jimmys

Jimmys Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 5, 2009

just finished my first overnight shift, drinking a Kilty Pleasure from Philly Brewing Co before I go to bed!
    JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  5. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

[​IMG]
    This is a mighty fine pilsner. Brewed by the Swedish macro brewery Spendrups which is my favorite of the Swedish macros since they produce a whole bunch of solid lagers, drawing inspiration from German brewing traditions albeit still adapted to Swedish lager traditions for most of their beers, they were the ones who brought back all-malt brewing to Sweden in the 1980s.

A nice floral hop nose ("only German aroma hops used", which is evident on the nose and taste) but it's not dry hopped hoppy, it stays within the style which is appreciated. A dry body but a bit of breadiness there in the background, 37 IBUs. Very nicely balanced, yet with that German pilsner style hop bite that is so refreshing and tasty. Next up is Bitburger Premium, I shall see which of the two I prefer.
  6. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (250) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

[​IMG]
    Oh it was a long night waiting for this one!
  7. Crusader

[​IMG]
    Tough call. I'll call it a draw. Bitburger is more noticably bready whereas Wisby Pils is more subtly so, Wisby has a higher bitterness yet the 30 or so IBU of Bitburger still makes itself known. The hops are more floral in Wisby, and more herbal in Bitburger. Both are delicious.
  8. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Savant (490) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Been falling behind on posting in these threads, I've really only been having one or two beers a night. Recent choices have been Sculpin, a Nugget Nectar, Southern Tier's 2X Stout, Caldera Pale Ale, an Abrasive, 1 Pliny, and last night was a bomber of Old Schoolhouse's Imperial IPA.
    Not sure what's up for tonight, there's a Blind Pig and a bomber of Stone IPA in the fridge. Think I'll throw in a stout just to be safe .
  9. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

[​IMG]
    Alpha King drink this beer all day.
    *Rimshot*
  10. Devil's Backbone Kilt Flasher Scottish Ale. Pretty impressive.
  11. rob133

rob133 Savant (290) California Jan 7, 2009

was very happy to see these back on the shelf last night, had to pick up my first couple of the year
    [​IMG]
  12. Enjoy By to start, and 2012 OG Oak-Smoked to follow.
    [​IMG]
  13. Crusader

[​IMG]
    The "Dortmunder Export" of Spendrups. 5,3% abv, 23 IBU, Pilsner and M√ľnchener malt. Hop extract and Hallertau Magnum pellets for bitterness, Perle hops for aroma. It's malty and bready yet not sweet, with a decent bitterness to balance out the malts. It's not a craft beer by any means, but a tasty beer nonetheless. I find that alot of the Swedish craft beer drinkers want to have, or think that they have a similar narrative as that of American craft beer drinkers, with a macro beer industry which devolved into ever lighter beers of adjuncts and low IBUs (i.e this beer might as well be Coors Light in different packaging). They use the same narrative for our beer market even though it's not even close to being the same as the American experience (certainly not since the 1980s). I think some of our macro breweries redeemed themselves (if only as a way to survive as a business and needing a point of difference against the giants back then), Spendrups being the most obvious example of this.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  14. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

From the cellar, a 2011 Abyss:
    [​IMG]
  15. bstyle

bstyle Advocate (705) Indiana Apr 27, 2006

Sharing with a co-worker that has never tried Cascade...
    [​IMG]
  16. mnguyen281

mnguyen281 Initiate (0) Texas Apr 9, 2009

Rosemary rotisserie chicken and a sour saison. Jester king das wunderkind!

[​IMG]
  17. tomorrow is not going to pretty at all. I got a trade in from a Chicago guy today. Ive already had a Zombie Dust and Ninja vs. Unicorn. I know Ill have an Alchemy Hour, another Zombie Dust or 3, and Seeing Double.

Beautiful 60 degree days equal me drinking hoppy beers alot.
    KevinGordon, creepinjeeper and DaKur like this.
  18. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Finally tracked FU sandy down. Applebee s baby. This stuff is extremely drinkable, and great hop presence for a wheat. My excitement enticed the guy next to me to get some. He said blue moon is better while the old timer across the bar said pbr is the best draft beer of all time. Time for another FU Sandy. That bitch of a storm kept me out of my house for a week, but was fortunate to still have a place to live. The ocean was half an inch from flooding the first floor. Now I just have to track down a glass. Cheers to flying fish for being awesome
    [​IMG]

Apparently I just kicked the last keg in New Jersey (yeah right)
  19. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

20. IndyDad

IndyDad Champion (810) New York Jan 21, 2013

Threw a brisket in my big green egg around 11:30. Should be ready by 6 or 7. Starting with a Dirty Bastard. Picked up a couple old Yetis today- one dated 2008 and one older label with no date on it. Hoping for the best from the both, plan on opening one or both tonight, among many others!
  21. Stopped off at Bottlemixx on the way home to have a Carolina Zweikopfigenator Dopplebock. Not too shabby. Once there I decided it was time to buy. A growler of Fullsteam Honey White and one of Mystery Annabel Black Saison. Then bottles of Ovila Quad with Plums, GL Alchemy Hour, and a Sam Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. I'll probably get into the Honey White here in a second.
  22. Just got back from picking up a few brews at one of my fave nearby stores. Kirby Parkway Liquors (and Memphis in general) just started to get shipments of New Belgium's 6-packs of Abbey Belgian Style Ale, so I'm enjoying a few of those currently. Also went back to a beer I discovered when I first began to expand my craft beer horizons in college, Abita's Andygator.

As a student at the University of Alabama, I was (ignorantly and falsely) content with the basic college party scene "beer" (Bud/Bud Light, Miller, Coors, even - oh, the horrors - Natty Light and Keystone). Furthermore, Tuscaloosa, where Bama is located, had a law in place that limited the ABV content of beers (approx. 5% and below, I think?). That all changed when the city council passed a "Free the Hops" amendment, relaxing the stringent beer ABV laws and allowing craft beers to bring much-needed enlightenment to this Southern town.

Around the time I turned 21, craft beers began cropping up in grocery stores and liquor stores around town. One such store, Letters Hops and Vines (now Corks and Tops), sparked my interest in craft beers, thanks to their mix n' match 6-packs and a selection that included Bell's, Choc, Great Divide, Abita, and the big-name Belgians, to name a few. Here I discovered many new and delicious beers, including Abita Andygator. Although not the best I had during these formative years of my craft beer experience, it is one of the most memorable, due to my close connection with Abita Brewing. My mom's side of the family all live along the Gulf Coast, especially in Louisiana. As you may guess from my BA name (hint: the "Boudreaux" part of it), I am half-Cajun. Abita beers are especially popular among this side of my family, and I can still remember discussing Andygator, Jockamo IPA, and Select Barleywine with my aunts, uncles, 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-cousins, and other relatives to whom I have absolutely no idea how exactly I'm related.

I didn't expect to reminisce about this today. But I'm glad I did!

As my grandparents, Mama and Papa, would say, "A bientot and laissez les bons temps rouler!"
  23. Krombacher Pils from .5 liter mug in Frankfurt, Germany.
    Watching Dortmund vs. Bayern. Love me the local German beers on tap when I'm here.
    Bitterbill and jzeilinger like this.
  24. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

[​IMG]

Troegs Nugget Nectar
    mecmd, cjoc83, Hanzo and 15 others like this.
  25. jb123

jb123 Savant (450) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

Tri city brewing dragon slayer, BA RIS

[​IMG]

Bells smitten rye

[​IMG]
  26. 75 and sunny out - I can't think of a better time to be a Horny Devil.

[​IMG]
  27. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Done with class... I'm having a brew

[​IMG]
  28. JTDay

JTDay Aficionado (125) Georgia Jan 28, 2013

29. kirkse

kirkse Initiate (0) Florida Dec 31, 2010

It's been a bad day so far, but hopefully and old favorite will help turn things around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers!
  30. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Bcbs on tap
    [​IMG]
  31. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

[​IMG]

Ayinger kicks ass.
  32. SABERG

SABERG Savant (460) Massachusetts Sep 16, 2007

Hill Farmstead Edward
    After a 6 hr exam - Passed!
  33. jpizz

jpizz Zealot (90) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

Stone Enjoy by 4 01 13 ipa just got into Michigan at m
  34. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was earlier and now currently enjoying the true Nugget! I ask my bottle for some "nugget" and he though I was referring to the OTHER nugget!

[​IMG]

Prost, Cin-cin, and cheers!
    Lantern, mecmd, beerserks and 15 others like this.
  35. Cee-Poe

Cee-Poe Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 12, 2013

After some afternoon sledding...
    [​IMG]

...here is my hot chocolate.
    [​IMG]
  36. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

Rock out with your cock out!!
    creepinjeeper and RaulMondesi like this.
  37. Coldsnack

Coldsnack Advocate (500) Florida Oct 29, 2012

38. What, no beers from Ilatia. What a crappy list!!!
  39. I meant Italia.
    jb123 and Giovannilucano like this.
  40. I've been craving a Lager for about a week and have yet to try this one so I thought I'd give it a shot tonight.

[​IMG]
    Hanzo and Prh27 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.