1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

What beer are you drinking now? #63

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hotmetal1, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know it's early for some but I've been up since 4:30 cooking for an epic beer tasting tomorrow. I'm having the second bottle of my first home brew.
    [​IMG]
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

What kind of beer was it?

I'm sipping on a Frambozen.
  3. About to get on a greyhound bus headed for the nether-regions of central PA. I think this is the earliest in the day I've ever had a beer.

[​IMG]

Good replacement for the 3 cups of coffee I usually have. Way more bitter (and less sweet) than I expected. Thumbs up!
  4. It's a Two hearted clone.
  5. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (350) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

Going to drink the New Belgium Imperial Chocolate Coffee stout and then going to give this Boulder Brewing Killer Penguin a try.
    SWChi, ontherocks and Bitterbill like this.
  6. Bitterbill

I haven't had the former but good luck with the latter. I hope you find it more enjoyable than I did.
  7. ROBSTARR

Yeah I've never been impressed with anything they've ever done but my friend that didn't really know what to buy pick this out for me cause I like barley wines haha
    Bitterbill likes this.
  8. Bitterbill

Your friend surely had good intentions and, if the price he paid was anything like mine(+$16 a 4 pack), he's pretty high up there in the generosity department too. Solid bloke.
  9. ROBSTARR

No he got me the 22oz waxed bomber so I think he thought it was something special haha but yeah we buy a bottle each for christmas
    Bitterbill likes this.
  10. Was it the Dead Ringer kit from Northern Brewer? Because that kit is a spot on replica taste wise, though it does turn out a bit darker then the commercial version.
  11. No it was a kit from a brew shop in New Orleans. It's not even close to two-hearted but it's pretty good, IMHO way more hop forward but pushing towards bitter.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  12. Still sounds like a very successful first attempt at brewing. Congratulations and welcome to a great hobby.
    Hotmetal1 likes this.
  13. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (545) New York Sep 21, 2012

Last night was good..

[​IMG]
    SWChi, 19etz55, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]

Having my first Celebrator while I get my game on.
  15. Love Celebrator :)

Having a Breakfast Stout with my sausage and pancakes. Making the most of my Christmas break!
    SWChi and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  16. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

finishing up the last 2 bottles of a sam adams winter 12 pack: started with chocolate bock and now working on a holiday porter. later probably more anchor christmas on deck.
    JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  17. Abita Christmas Ale. Tastes like black pepper and onions. Not a fan of Abita.
  18. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I'm off for 12 days straight. Kinda nice after shoveling my drive 5x a couple of days ago. I get to drink everyday whenever I want. This is the life.
    [​IMG]
  19. Today has brought:
    Celebration
    Heart Of Darkness
    Otter Creek Black IPA
    Victory Prima Pils

I passed by a mixnmatch 6 pack store this morning to pick up my under the tree 12 pack, it's awesomely under the tree in a brown paper bag right now.

Hoping to have a rest, playing hockey at 10:30 tonight.
    19etz55 and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  20. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (485) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

[​IMG]
    This, only the "Peated" edition. They ain't lying. If you don't like truckloads of peat, stay the hell away! It was brewed with whisky malt and is probably the biggest peat bomb I've ever tasted.
  21. My Belgian Milk Stout!! Incredible!! Rich, thick bitter chocolate with a pretty big hop presence like a RIS and the lactose help coat the tongue with this black elixir!! Wow! 7.4% abv but seems a little boozy, may be the higher carb as this is a Belgian style. Also just 10 days young. Belgian yeast is hidden by all th complexity though:(.

[​IMG]
  22. pep

pep Savant (300) Pennsylvania Jun 3, 2012

well I hope yesterday counts because I went out with a few friends and the place had only BMC and yuengling. Guess what I drank? oh that and tom collins.
  23. Half way through this. I think I am wrong about the ABV. Feels more like a 10%. Going to wax top these and store them for awhile.
  24. Inoracam

Inoracam Zealot (85) California Nov 17, 2012

A friend got me this one. Merry Christmas indeed!

[​IMG]
  25. Bitterbill

I'm having a Batch 19. The bottles showed up in town. And...I'm giving my Lost Abbey glass a well deserved rest:

[​IMG]
  26. Bitterbill

Batch 19 x2

[​IMG]

Oh and the bottles are best by May 27, 2013. That's a bit hopeful, imho. Fresh, it's really good.

I like the label: "Banned, Defiantly Bold Beer"; "Back. From The Lost Archives". Coors Archive Brewing.
  27. dethTr0ll

dethTr0ll Disciple (70) Delaware Dec 7, 2010

Im drinking a home brewed hefe.
  28. Bitterbill

Ha! You DO know that you completely fooled me with you BA name change, don't ya? ;)
  29. Alfred Strong Dark Belgian-11%abv. Yummy!!

[​IMG]
  30. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

BOOM instant increase in rarity with the wax. You should probably hand number them too ;)
    sleuthdog likes this.
  31. SABERG

SABERG Savant (460) Massachusetts Sep 16, 2007

HFB George,
  32. Bitterbill

Now drinking an Orval. Bottled May 20, 2011.

It really astounds me how different it tastes with <than a year on it vs 2 or more years. It's like it's not the same beer.
  33. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

After a 6 1/2 hour drive up to my parents house, sitting by the window watching the snow fly by. Local beer time.

[​IMG]
  34. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

You have a great friend! I can't wait to try this beer. It's at Bin 2860 just down the road in Los Olivos. I think I'll buy it when I pick up my last two bottles of Eclipse. My wife will kill me, of course, but it'll be worth it. How is it? It looks delicious. I'm such an Old Rasppy fan.
    JxExM likes this.
  35. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

[​IMG]
    Pretty mild barleywine. Not bad, but not really good either.
  36. st9647v3

st9647v3 Advocate (645) New Jersey Dec 28, 2011

Smuttynose Zinneke to start but going to my brother in-law's later which should yield some delicious treats...

Cheers to one and all out there!
  37. Needed to hydrate a bit from those big beers!

[​IMG]
    Hugonaut13, sleuthdog, JxExM and 8 others like this.
  38. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

This two month old Flower Power is one of the best amber ales I've ever had. : /
  39. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (900) New York Aug 25, 2010

They brought it back, so its back in my glass:

Goose Island's Night Stalker (*eerie night sounds follow*)
    [​IMG]
    Remember getting this after I'd tried BCBS - the BCBS was gone quickly, but I was curious about the brewery, and this was their only other stout offering. I really liked it then, but when I had it a year or so later, it didn't wow me. Maybe it didn't age well? Maybe I was just really enamored with their Big John and Bramble Rye stouts... :p

Now, resurrected in 2012, I find myself really digging it. Maybe a little different brewing process or ingredients, maybe its (to me) better fresher, maybe my beer palate has evolved - I dunno, but whatta great brew. Cheers!
    [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.